• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Legend of Zelda (General)

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Fun story: I watched someone I know play one of Zelda games on Twitch maybe 1,5-2 years ago. I had certainly heard of these games but neither played nor watched them myself before. So, with unshakable certainty, I assumed that the main playable character I saw on screen was Zelda herself, because... the name in the title must belong to the protagonist, right? riiight??? So I thought it was refreshing to see a well-proportioned flat-chested sword-wielding horse-riding adventurer, whose name became a legend thanks to her heroic deeds, because obviously, the world needs more variety and realism among female protagonists, but then... Everybody was calling her "Link". Huh? What do you mean it's not Zelda? What do you mean it's a boy??? Oh, how disillusioned I was. But I don't mean to say that the playable character being male makes the game inherently worse, not at all, I'm just trying to say the game turned out to be so different from what I'd initially imagined.

Ever since the series began in 1986 it's been a common mistake that the playable character is assumed to be Zelda. There's a reason this mix-up has meme status. It amuses me that you lived through this common way of encountering the series, @Torrie. :lol:

Huge number of additional beta maps unlocked by z64me:
- lake house
- woodlands
- graveyard
- Death Mountain (the most similar to its final counterpart so far)
- Gerudo Valley
- Castle Grounds
- Temple of Time
- room 017C6920
- fountain
- Forest Temple: Maze
- river area
- Deku Tree dungeon (Massive!)
- Forest Temple (That door to the basement at 4:27 tho :wacky:)
- Hyrule Field
- Cavern (Menacing!)

All videos lack any sound so I recommend listening to some good ol' LoZ medley while watching these videos. :monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Fun story: I watched someone I know play one of Zelda games on Twitch maybe 1,5-2 years ago. I had certainly heard of these games but neither played nor watched them myself before. So, with unshakable certainty, I assumed that the main playable character I saw on screen was Zelda herself, because... the name in the title must belong to the protagonist, right? riiight??? So I thought it was refreshing to see a well-proportioned flat-chested sword-wielding horse-riding adventurer, whose name became a legend thanks to her heroic deeds, because obviously, the world needs more variety and realism among female protagonists, but then... Everybody was calling her "Link". Huh? What do you mean it's not Zelda? What do you mean it's a boy??? Oh, how disillusioned I was. But I don't mean to say that the playable character being male makes the game inherently worse, not at all, I'm just trying to say the game turned out to be so different from what I'd initially imagined.
If it makes you feel better, I thought Link was "Zelda" too when I first saw him in OOT when my friend was playing. I'm surprised after all this time there's never been a game where you play as Zelda (besides two games we don't speak of) Maybe in BOTW 2 you can play as both. That would be good.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Ever since the series began in 1986 it's been a common mistake that the playable character is assumed to be Zelda. There's a reason this mix-up has meme status.
If it makes you feel better, I thought Link was "Zelda" too when I first saw him in OOT when my friend was playing. I'm surprised after all this time there's never been a game where you play as Zelda (besides two games we don't speak of) Maybe in BOTW 2 you can play as both. That would be good.
Nice to know I was not alone in my misconception.
Zelda herself as a playable character would be a neat solution, especially after all these years.

P.S. Them blonde boys do have something in common lol

- Gerudo Valley "working"
- Death Mountain Crater
- Horseback archery
- Draw order test
- Newer Hyrule Field
- Textureless scene (old castle courtyard?)
- Water Temple
- Gerudo Training Grounds (revealing that Dampé's "grave dungeon" was originally part of the training grounds, which explain the Gerudo symbols left behind in the final game)
- Basic Cave

- Beta maps patch release showcase , combining the maps from the gigaleak and from this recent F-Zero X development cartridge.
Check pinned comment in the video to download the patch or simply go here.

EDIT:
User by the name of zel. exploring the beta Dodongo's Cavern. Presumably they are playing z64me's patch.
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I guess some of the maps I was hoping for weren't present in this leak. I was really hoping for the unicorn fountain at least, that's legendary. I wonder what the chances of something like this happening three times are...

uratuje_pandy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
google
One thing I love about the LoZ series is that, despite the similar themes and concepts, the presentation is always so unique and stand out almost every time. I mean, technically almost every game has been a knight in shining armor saving the princess and the kingdom. But despite so many titles, this series is considered the best for a Nintendo system.

Hopefully this means we'll get WW and TP Switch ports, but it's Nintendo we're talking about so that's somehow not a sure thing. Remember when Nintendo bundled four Zelda games together as a promo offer back in the GameCube days? Nowadays we'll be lucky if they bundle WW and TP together for $60, rather than charging $60 for each.

SS is my least favorite Zelda and it actually had me questioning if the series was for me anymore. The dungeons were good, but it was SUPER padded, had elements that were genuinely unfun to me (the multiple Imprisoned fights; mandatory, timed stealth sections), and it managed to make the sky setting feel really bland in terms of exploration (as a huge Skies of Arcadia fan, this really stung). So glad they course corrected with BotW.

Edit: ^Make that least favorite 3D Zelda. I forgot about Phantom Hourglass.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
d4e9ysmpbst61.jpg

Hey now, Windwaker came out in 2002 (2003 outside of Japan) so we're not quite there yet... we've still got a year or so to mentally prepare ourselves for the fact that Windwaker will be 20 years old. It feels so weird to even type that.

Personally, the game anniversary that's going to hit hardest for me is Golden Sun (20 years old this summer), since it was the first RPG I played other than Pokemon.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Ganon is actually a revolutionary fighting against the oppressive monarchy for the rights of the lower class. The games are racial propaganda demonizing the Gerudo as pigs in order to discredit the movement. Economic equality is all he wants.

Top Bottom