• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Love Triangle Debate: Another Turn in the Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enthralll

Lv. 1 Adventurer
He didn't, there you go :monster:

BUT yeah I totally agree Cloud loved both girls. He clearly had feelings for both. Cloud has had appearances with both girls in many spinoff games so I don't really count those as proof of FFVII stuff. It's just fun fan service and if anything, it points toward him loving both. Most people's opinions that he just loves one or the other usually depends on how they played the game :monster:
"Sweetheart" or "lover". The translations make it clear the latter is acceptable anyway.
Edit: saw your clarification, that makes more sense lol, thought this was gonna be a thing.

I also think cameos count in the sense that it's a sign of what Square thinks. And also I just think it's so obvious he liked both that it's hardly a stretch.

Yeah, I also agree with this. Clouds actions in AC aren't about love but survivor guilt.
(also sorry for the double post :mon:)
His guilt over Aeris is a lot stronger though. It's more complex than just guilt with her, and probably with Zack too.

Aerith. i've read Nojima stated they were lovers. and AC cloud's feelings guilt over Aerith's death. It's romantic. he basically wanted to give up on living. a lot of their cameos in other games as well points to aerith being the one cloud loves.
I think this stuff is all pretty defensible. I'd include Tifa but I also think the original game pushes Aerith harder and Tifa was meant as a "surprise waifu" almost. Since their feelings really come out in the massive revelatory Mideel sequence. However the childhood "friend" who can't be honest is such a cliche, and spelled out in the instruction manual, that it didn't come across as a surprise.
As such the Cloud and Tifa relationship seemed to me like the scene with Marianne and Indi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark: "obviously they're together just from the finality given to it but we'll leave the specifics up to you." And then in both franchise's cases there were follow-ups but were not planned around that.

Jenovacells

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Aerith. i've read Nojima stated they were lovers. and AC cloud's feelings guilt over Aerith's death. It's romantic. he basically wanted to give up on living. a lot of their cameos in other games as well points to aerith being the one cloud loves.

Really? Wow had no idea, I have the English copy of the novellas.. I didn’t read that part. Maybe I should re read them. I must have skipped it. I’ve been neutral, though to me it always pointed to Tifa.

However, idk much about the ltD and I’ve been away from the FF7 fandom.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Really? Wow had no idea, I have the English copy of the novellas.. I didn’t read that part. Maybe I should re read them. I must have skipped it. I’ve been neutral, though to me it always pointed to Tifa.

However, idk much about the ltD and I’ve been away from the FF7 fandom.
He ends up with Tifa after sexy time under the Highwind.

It's been pointed out before the Aerith thing was written in first person (making it unreliable) and 'lovers' is factually incorrect regardless of believed feelings yadayadayada. But anyway, loving one person does not preclude you from loving someone else.

I don't think Cloud ever even thought about any possible affection for Aerith up until the Temple of Ancients, when she asks Cait about their compatibility. I imagine at that point he finally got a fucking clue, but before he could consider any of these possible romantic feelings, he beat her face in. The next time they see each other outside of dreaming, she's dead. It's not like he's into making love with corpses. Plus he was never himself and was always messed up in the head during that time.

It's something that could have happened I guess. If Aerith was still alive by the end of the game, maybe there would have been some closure on the possibility of feelings for each other- or not, and Cloud ends up with Tifa like he does in the game/compilation anyway. But romantic interest in Aerith is just not something that has passed through Cloud's mind. Ever. It was always possible but never came to pass in actuality.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Lol, this is the seventh round of this thread, dating back to 2008.

sPX2NH3.gif

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I think that with the whole... "expansion" of the story and the deeper dive into the characters in the Remake, the LTD will gain new points to be argued. It's going to be refreshing, if anything, to have new data to discuss. Refreshing in a twisted way, that is.

I can see it now: one side will call whatever helps the other a "retcon" and whatever helps the side itself "clarification" and vice-versa. :mon:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I think you and I have a very different definition of the word "refreshing." :monster:
I am absolutely dreading the inevitable LTD revival and waifu wars, and the fact that the influx of new, younger fans will probably get into flaming wars like the old school fans did a decade+ ago.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
^ Fear not, then. Recently, the discussion has shifted to whether Cloud and Tifa can even be called "childhood friends" and if Tifa ever bullied Cloud. :wacky:

People may come up with all kinds of stuff. The magic of fictional people in fictional situations will never stop giving. Ever. :muhaha:

That having been said, I was out of the loop for years. I read something like True Desire in an Ultimania? Anyone has a link or sth? :huh:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
^ Fear not, then. Recently, the discussion has shifted to whether Cloud and Tifa can even be called "childhood friends" and if Tifa ever bullied Cloud. :wacky:
That was going around 10 or more years ago, so it's not even that recent. But like Tets pointed out, this controversy is cyclical in nature. :monster:

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
I do feel like some things are changing in the debate because of what we saw in those trailers :p
One of the most persistent theories in the love triangle is, that Cloud as long as Aerith was around showed much more interest in her than Tifa. Which kinda stems from the fact that disc one is Aeriths time to shine and to stand out so her death feels as surprising and gut wrenching as possible. But from the trailers you can already tell that both girls seem to get equally amount of attention and spotlight. Which feels like a good thing.

Megumichan

Rookie Adventurer
What do you mean? All I see is a clearly happy poly-cule.
and one lucky son of a bitch

It's 2019, people. Monogamy is sooo last millenium.

Yeaaah. Maybe Cloud having both of them is for the best. :tifaball:cloudball::aeriball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom