" The Maiden who travels the Planet" collaborative book

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Heyo. So this is just an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for a while. I'm a big FF7 collector, and one thing I've considered a missing piece to that is the short story "The Maiden who travels the planet." If you're unfamiliar, this is a dubiously canon short story from the Ultimania Omega about what happened to Aerith after she died, and because square hates us, it was only ever released in Japan. We have a translation of it here on the site. I don't expect that story to ever get acknowledged by Square again, let alone release it officially outside of Japan, but I'm not the sort of person who will let that stop me. So here's the idea:

Maiden is a really, really short story. Not the sort of thing you could make a proper book out of, so how do you pad that shit out? ART! In true light novel fashion. I figure every story beat could be accompanied by an artist's depiction of the scene. So there's where the "collaborative" nature of the project comes in, I know we have quite a few talented artists kicking around here, so I wanted to gauge interest. Would anybody want to do art for this thing? You might be thinking "wait can't you draw" and the answer to that is yes, but T̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶l̶a̶z̶y̶ I think it would be more interesting if a different artist handled each picture. I'd do one, another artist would do one, etc. So each picture would be distinct and unique. It'd be a real "lifestream.net" production! I don't know how many pictures would be needed, I want to gauge interest before I do more thorough planning.

So, uh, any takers?

Okay there are some takers. Let me break down the "rules" I guess. I've broken up the story into 22 segments, which you can see here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f_GzL4jaQ_8QC0suqYoOJFQW30atkh90Qua5VbYQJIE/edit?usp=sharing

pick the segment you want to draw, and I'll mark it off for you. For the most part I don't have anything special in mind, go ahead and draw whatever you'd like, but I do have a request for segment 12, and I want something very specific for 22. So here's the standards for how the drawings need to be:

1. The drawing must be 6x9 inches (1800x2700 pixels/ 15.24x22.86 centimeters,) as that's the size of the book pages.

2. Digital or physical art is fine.

3. All pictures must have some kind of shading, not just outlines. It was suggested that they be in grey scale with one color that pops out. I think that's a good idea but I'll see what others think.

4. I don't care what versions of the characters' designs you use, whether it be more in line with Nomura's original art or closer to how they look in the compilation. Just don't use their kingdom hearts designs or anything.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I haven't had much energy to do art these days but I hope this kicks off! This would be cool.
Thanks. I thought a little community project might be fun, but maybe asking a bunch of people to draw stuff ostensibly just so I can get something I want was a little much. Having a project to work on helps me keep my mind off of things. Once I'm feeling up to it I'm gonna go through and break the story up into chunks so I can get an idea for how many pictures would be needed. And, y'know, if this just so happens to keep your interest, maybe you could draw one...

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I had the idea of doing something similar for the Turks biography then SE came along and kicked me in the face by bringing out the official book.

Maybe you'll be just as lucky :monster: but in all seriousness this sounds like a fun project and I'm looking forward to seeing what you and the others come up with.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm down! I actually listened to the audio book again yesterday lol

And youuuuu were one of the people I was thinking of too lol. Since you listened to it recently, have any part in particular you want to do? I'm gonna put together a google doc with the story segmented up how I wanted, and I'll attribute each section to the person who picks it. I guess I'll just say now that I'm doing the scene where Aerith meets Jessie myself, obviously lol.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
And youuuuu were one of the people I was thinking of too lol. Since you listened to it recently, have any part in particular you want to do? I'm gonna put together a google doc with the story segmented up how I wanted, and I'll attribute each section to the person who picks it. I guess I'll just say now that I'm doing the scene where Aerith meets Jessie myself, obviously lol.
Lol I forgot what I ate for dinner a couple days ago! I'll have to listen again with the intent of figuring out which part I want to draw:)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Lol I forgot what I ate for dinner a couple days ago! I'll have to listen again with the intent of figuring out which part I want to draw:)
Okay! Since this is officially happening now, I'll set some standards for what the pictures need to be like while we're here:

1. The images need to be 6x9 inches/1800 pixels by 2700 pixels/ 15.24x22.86 centimeters. That's the size of the book page.

2. Physical or digital is fine, either works. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

3. I'd prefer it if all the images were in some kinda color or shading. Limited pallet is fine, or even gray scale, but I don't just want an outline and nothing else.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Requirement 1 is where you lose me haha. I'll draw/paint my picture. If I get it scanned, can you do the formatting to make it fit what you need?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
For you, the advice I can give is to do your image in portrait, not landscape, and to keep it centered a bit. I just don't want anything getting cropped out because its too big.
Ok, I can handle drawing the picture in the specific dimensions. It's just when you get into pixels is where you lose me lol

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Oh, well that's why I included inches and pixels. Those units are equivalent. I should also include meters too, huh? I'll fix that.
It might make a difference for others, but for me it won't. I just don't know what pixels mean pertaining to drawing/painting by hand. Pixels only has to do with what is drawn by computer right?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It might make a difference for others, but for me it won't. I just don't know what pixels mean pertaining to drawing/painting by hand. Pixels only has to do with what is drawn by computer right?
Yeah, the pixel measurement is how big the digital canvas would be. Granted, programs like Photoshop can create a canvas using inches too. I just like to include the pixel measurement because it's the most precise. Since you use traditional methods for your art, you don't need to worry about it.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Nah. It's not like I'm going to sell it or anything.
That's a relief. I was afraid that I'd wake up one morning with all of TLS gone because SE shut us down for "pirating" their works for profit or something looool.

Uuh. I would like to say I'm interested, but as of late, I've been in a slump, so I'm not very confident nor would I be happy with whatever quality of work I would be able to put out.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That's a relief. I was afraid that I'd wake up one morning with all of TLS gone because SE shut us down for "pirating" their works for profit or something looool.

Uuh. I would like to say I'm interested, but as of late, I've been in a slump, so I'm not very confident nor would I be happy with whatever quality of work I would be able to put out.
Well, we are still illegally hosting these copyrighted stories on the site, even more so not that OTWTAS is available to buy in English officially. It's been a solid few years now, so I don't think Square cares anyway.

I understand if you aren't motivated. But the door is always open. I don't expect this to get done for a long time, so no rush anyhow.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Okay! Since this is officially happening now, I'll set some standards for what the pictures need to be like while we're here:

1. The images need to be 6x9 inches/1800 pixels by 2700 pixels/ 15.24x22.86 centimeters. That's the size of the book page.

2. Physical or digital is fine, either works. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

3. I'd prefer it if all the images were in some kinda color or shading. Limited pallet is fine, or even gray scale, but I don't just want an outline and nothing else.

I wound't be againts doing it in gray scale. Makes the process faster and it would be far easier for everyone to stay on the same page.

A crazy idea would be that every participant did their picture in gray scale, save for one element in the picture that would be colored (Aerith's ribbon, Zack's eyes, that red mist surrounding Dyne... you name it). That is, of curse, one idea, and it might not be printer-friendly.

And since I read the story again yesterday, I want to call dibs on the scene where Aerith helps Tifa rebuild Cloud's memories. If there's no objection, of course :P

Top Bottom