• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Mandalorian: Star Wars Live Action Series

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...The Trumpists who carried Confederate flags into the capital, hurled black racial epithets at capital officers, wore "6 million weren't enough" shirts, who believe in Q-themed blood-libel, and have literally been chomping at the bit to violently overthrow an election to put their favorite white supremacist authoritarian back in the White House?

What is this? "Schrodinger's Nazi???"

They're not equivalent, Pedro ain't goin' anywhere. Sorry! It's certainly not a both sides issue. And it's pretty damn obvious why one is repugnant compared to the other, given the historic terrorist attack that happened in the wake of an election from Trump's supporters with Republican's backing. "If the shoe fucking fits" as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
... How did Nazis in the Capitol -- or the Capitol incident itself for that matter -- slither its way into this discussion?

Gina whatserface tweeted a bunch of anti-mask, anti-trans, and stolen election tweets right before Dune's returning episode on the show. There was some bad press but no official fallout until she recently tweeted a whole rant about how the dems turning the public against Republicans is just like the anti-Jew propaganda in Germany... which... which... wtf. Anyway, when asked if she was rehired for Season 3 Disney was basically like "lol no" and here we are.

First of all she didn't critize Disney, so the Stalinism comprasion is far-fetched. Disney is in their right to dissociate with someone with anit-Semitic ideas because there's nothing in the contituion protecting said person from that (nor should they be).

People in Stalin's Russia weren't denied the right to speak their minds. They just needed to know that they would be held accountable for what they said (or thought), and that being held accountable might include losing their job, seeing their child lose educational opportunities, being sent to slave labour in the gulag, or death.
It's not Disney I'm making the comparison to.
It's the "There's an orthodoxy of thought which is right, and all other opinions are dangerous and must be silenced". Society collectively has to decide if this is a value they now wish to uphold. Is it dangerous to allow people with actual dangerous opinions to express them and to congregate? Yes, it is. Society has to decide if this is a level of danger they feel they can accomodate in order to guarantee other freedoms, or whether those freedoms are not worth it. Maybe they're not. People in China generally have a much higher level of trust in their government than people in the USA do.
Karl Popper has a lot to say about the paradox of tolerance.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I looked into this some more, and it's worse than I thought.

Look at this.

An explicit parallel between Holocaust Victims, a photo of an actual concentration camp, side by side with an image that says it's in America in 2018 and shows apparently imprisoned children.

Except that's a lie. The photo is of Palestinian children at a soup kitchen in 2010, playing on some kind of railing.

I'm going to give Pedro the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't know what he was posting. It's still completely absurd, even if it wasn't based on a lie completely.

If you condemn one, but not the other, what's happening is you are tolerating disrespect for the Holocaust victims if it suits your political purposes. Think about that.

I have nothing against either of these people, stupid shit happens on social media all the time.

I could say a lot about the term Nazi as applied to US politics, but not in the Mandalorian thread.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
So Pedro is deadass wrong perpetuating an inaccurately sourced image/meme calling attention to refugee children being inhumanely detained at border camps along the US border. Okay, cool. You're right.

Carano fomented and spread egregiously distasteful self-pitying and unjustified grievance memes for Trump conservatives who, just a month ago, literally tried overthrowing a US election by violently storming the capital to execute political rivals which resulted in 5 people getting killed by their theatrics.

Nope. One is not like the other. Especially when said group of political miscreants literally contained true-blue neo-nazis who were shouting racial epithets and wearing "6 million was not enough" shirts.

To make it crystal clear....It's the damn context. It's not just the holocaust, although that was the final straw. It was the final bullet in the magazine of shitty social media. As Joker so eloquently put it, "we live in a society." How you model yourself in society, impacts your life and career. Your job is not an inalienable right, especially when egregiously offensive actions are brought to light publicly that make an employer cringe and wretch at the distasteful behavior being exhibited under their brand, for all the world to see. The hilarity of "cancel culture" being screamed over and over for the most ridiculously absurd, disgusting and distasteful circumstances makes the words ring hollower than the molted skin of a snake. It's suspiciously never uttered when someone is targeted for discrimination, organizing labor against powers that be, or when someone marginalized is passed up for opportunity because they don't fit within the frame of the idealized status quo.

But when the status quo is challenged? Even when it goes berserk and mutates to attack itself over bullshit inanity? Well don't worry, Ben Shapiro will get your back and give you a bullhorn to scream "CANCEL CULTURE" to the high heavens!!!

Again. This is not "both sides" or "cancel culture." If someone cannot seriously factor in the collective societal disgust over someone repeatedly smearing antivax shit, Trump shit, Q shit, and generalized toxic nonsense over and over, even in the face of egregious and historic political violence, then I don't know what to tell ya! You can't poop in the street, scream and then expect everyone around you to take you seriously. Social sanction has existed since humanity's conception. It still exists, and will always exist. And just because the internet has democratized said social sanction doesn't invalidate or make it suddenly new. It's reality.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Carano fomented and spread egregiously distasteful self-pitying and unjustified grievance memes for Trump conservatives who, just a month ago, literally tried overthrowing a US election by violently storming the capital to execute political rivals which resulted in 5 people getting killed by their theatrics.

I shouldn't need to point this out, but while all rectangles are squares, not all squares are rectangles. And while on the subject of geometry, making that leap from squares to rectangles creates one heck of a parabola.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
No one said she was there or even specifically supported said violence, but the fact she continued trumpeting numerous Q-adjacent, anti-vax and pro-Trump memes in the light of that event? In the midst of a pandemic? With no self-awareness or cognizance of how tarnished and disgusting it all is right now in a country's politics that is now on it's knees?

Disney and society at large has had it. It became a stain. And equating her axing to Pedro somehow being passionate about disadvantaged children being inhumanely detained at the border misses the entire point of the firing, trying to equivocate the two in some vain hope of finding a double standard. They're not the same except "WW2 IMAGERY!" It's not about just that, although that's what elicited the collective groan and sigh in disgust.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I think you got that mixed up
You are right. :monster:

Disney and society at large has had it.

Comedic (and unlikely) imagery of Mickey flipping the table aside, Disney almost certainly had to act on this because it would be more difficult and potentially bad for business to defend one actor who poorly chose to lead a tweet with "Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers ... ." That's as far as a lot of people are willing to care about absorbing/analyzing/digesting the post, and taking it upon themselves (i.e. Disney's own corporate self) to make clear that there's more words there is far more trouble than it's worth.

It's unfortunate, but I can't really say I blame them either after they'd asked her to try to lower the temperature of her social media profile.

Finished The Mandalorian. This show is closer to perfection than any piece of entertainment I can think of in recent times, not just relative to the Star Wars franchise. All the elements come together seamlessly and wonderfully. Smart storytelling, smart Star Wars worldbuilding, great original music and the right amount of fanservice. The first episode in particular should be awarded for how well and quickly it established the who, when, how and why so effectively.

No matter how fatigued you are with Star Wars (and I am indeed one of those fatigued people) The Mandalorian is a worthy watch.

It is almost a pity that a season 3 is planned because they could easily end it here and have the loose threads picked up on in the other upcoming series. I fear the show can't maintain its high level of quality for three seasons in a row.

The concept art shown in each episode's ending
except for the last episode which lacked concept art, of course
was a satisfying touch for one such as me. They weren't afraid of showing design changes and even some discarded scenes during the ending credits. A casual game of "spot the differences" as proof that you paid attention.

Watching the "Disney Gallery" behind the scenes on The Mandalorian and just watched the episode about the actors.

Wow, he was originally supposed to die in episode 3 of season 1! His actor, Carl Weathers, was then supposed to dress up as an alien and act as a completely different character. Fascinating that such a big change occurred. It really was a smart choice to let him stay alive. Part of the appeal with The Mandalorian is seeing these characters go through the spectrum of dark side and light side and seeing where they end up as a result.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Ugh the fact that several vital episodes are trapped in another show makes me so mad. For those only watching Mandalorian, the first “previously on” segment for S3 is going to be such a slap in the face.

Also lol that tweet, I love that Baby Yoda’s name is common marketing material but Din is still “the Mandalorian”

Top Bottom