• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Missing FF Elements of FF7

waw

Pro Adventurer
I'm just curious what people think of the missing FF tropes that aren't in FF7, and what elements from other games would fit. I'm not sure where else to post this.

What cities from other FF games do you think fit "best" on Gaia? What would fit the cultures, climate, and such? Of course they'd be probably outfitted with Mako reactors, etc.

Could the Nible Mountain range have had a Deist/old city of dragoons?

What races could exist on Gaia? We've got Cetrans, Humans, and maybe Al-Bhed descended humans? Red's species, and maybe the now-extinct Gi. Do you think any others could have fit? Would the Burmecian rat people worshipping dragons have fit in Wutai? Should Cosmo Canyon have had Moogles with its lion-dogs?

What about other recurring tropes, like Gilgamesh? What elements would add on FF7?

It's just fan ideas, obviously many of the elements of other games would break or not fit, or would miss something that makes them unique. But I also can't help but wonder about some things.

There's some evidence the creators intended for Shinra to depose a government, would that have been a nation at all like Galbadia? Was the Ancient's City once named Mysidia? If you found the remnants of the Al Bhed civilization from FFX (perhaps Cid's second airship), would they have left an ancient city of some sort? Could a rival to Shinra have made Black Mage automatons powered by mako and materia to fight back?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Interesting to remember that Gilgamesh wasn’t a recurring feature until his second appearance in FF8. Pretty amazing that he’s basically as expected as Moogles nowadays.

I almost said that FF7 could have had the “Magic was lost and thought only a legend. But will magic return?” trope, but that’s almost exactly what happened in the backstory, except that the return of magic wasn’t anything special, just a tech development that was upstaged by mako’s other benefits lol. A nice subversion there. Big tech made magic so commonplace you can find materia just lying around scrap piles.

How about exotic can-can dancers in some of the towns? It’s super weird that FF7 is afaik the first one not to have any of those (Wall Market doesn’t count, I mean like that random hooker by the river in FF4 who turns you into a pig.)

waw

Pro Adventurer
The can-can dancers is a really good point. Wutai or Costa del Sol would probably have been a good place! Though, I could almost imagine having found Cid drinking his days away in a dancer's bar....

And yeah, Gilgamesh is a newer element. Though, I like to think in Sephiroth's early days as a SOLDIER, he was using a standard sword, Velvet Nightmare, or the Pile Driver and beat some great Wutaian warrior for the Masamune. Maybe Gilgamesh factors into that story.

As far as that Magic is Lost trope, I would like to see more Bone Villages throughout the world that starts digging up the "ancient advanced civilizations." It's great they're near the Lost City of the Ancients (maybe named Alexandria or Mysidia?!) and there could be another around Corel Desert or something having found the "Al Bhed landing site" in which Cid later finds the Shera. More excavations would be of interest for me.

I would also like to see "empty" cities or villages in which the population pretty much all left for Midgar due to work. Maybe struggling port cities.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
There aren't pianos in every town for you to play. Just one :monster:

You also can't examine clocks to find Elixirs or Ethers in them.

There isn't a Lone Wolf to steal your shit from you, either.

Softs don't kill Stone enemies.

There isn't Bone Mail armor, or even a Thronlet. We do have a Cursed Ring though....

No knife weapons whatsoever.

LivingLegacy

Pro Adventurer
I would appreciate the battle arena in gold saucer to have an arcade game outside of it where you could do battle arena stuff in it with strictly turn-based combat.

Have Cloud and the party put on VR to access it. Heck, you could even have Chadley do it or have him involved somehow since he’s the VR guy. Say shinra inc developed it or something.

Have the music in turn based VR mode be some of the classic OG songs or new remake songs done in the 1997 era sound quality.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I would appreciate the battle arena in gold saucer to have an arcade game outside of it where you could do battle arena stuff in it with strictly turn-based combat.

Have Cloud and the party put on VR to access it. Heck, you could even have Chadley do it or have him involved somehow since he’s the VR guy. Say shinra inc developed it or something.

Have the music in turn based VR mode be some of the classic OG songs or new remake songs done in the 1997 era sound quality.

This would be a great way to visit certain action scenes from the Wutai War, for example, or the BC battles. Maybe even some legendary duels Sephiroth fought. "Come to the Gold Saucer and be Sephiroth! Wield the Masamune and face down the ninjas of Wutai in Savior Sephiorth 7!"

Too much?

That said, Lone Wolf as a thief would be a very interesting character. The thief who trained Yuffie? :P

Ghost X

Good thread idea. I'm not too familiar with pre-FFV FFs, so can't really comment on some things. Too frazzled to talk about new ideas, so I'll just provide commentary on ideas already brought up :mon:.
  • FFV:
    • What better way to fight Gilgamesh than on a big bridge, and I think one between Midgar and the north continent would be sufficient.
  • FFIX:
    • Hard to imagine Burmecians without a home of endless rain, but in my mind, closest to that would probably be maybe a place near Gongaga or the Nibelheim mountains.
    • Cleyrans? Well, there was a recent discussion in one of the threads here about a largely unused desert (aside from a secret location for one of the large materia, iirc), north of North Corel, which could be a nice place for a tree surrounded by a sandy tornado thing.
    • A black mage assembly line? Well, the Chocobo Ranch is probably the closest thing that reminds me of Dali. You won't see Chocobo Billy the same way again :P.
  • FFX:
    • I like the idea of Bone Village discovering the Spiran connection, given there's some random jet there. I always associated the Al Bhed with deserts though, and there's limited desert space (perhaps some of the junk under the Gold Saucer could be Al Bhed-related :P).
  • Misc:
    • Moogles for me are inhabitants of the surroundings of the Forgotten Capital.
    • Flans could easily be some kind of corrupted mako blob entities.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I always felt the Gold Saucer would make sense as replacing the Cleyran Tree. I.e. shinra chopping it down.

Could Gilgamesh be on one of the Wutai bridges? Surprise boss fight!

For the life of me, I can't figure out where dwarves would go. In some ways I could see them enslaved by Shinra in the mines, but it almost shifts the narrative.

Top Bottom