The most annoying fandom assumptions that make no sense and won't die.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
In FFVII, there are a lot of weird....thoughts or assumptions that seem to keep cropping up that literally make no sense but are still believed and disseminated. Like a strange type of misinformation meme that spreads and infects the minds of people who partake in fandom. Let's list some of our favorites that we love to hate.

1.) Vincent is Sephiroth's father. This one is like polio. It's effectively cured and disproven in every way shape and form. But occasionally this one crops up in small fandom circles and spreads until someone takes an ultimania and beats it into submission.

2.) Jenova controls Sephiroth. This one is effectively dead as well. But there are a few diehards who refuse to believe it because of some reason they can't quite say. This one irks me a lot.

3.) In AC, when Cloud was tossed up to Bahamut SHIN and flew into its Tremor Flare, Aerith put up a barrier to shield him. People seem to confuse Cloud's glowing spirit energy glowing around him as some type of barrier that...somehow Aerith concocted and then used to protect himself. Nevermind the fact he's flinching in pain from the heat and slicing through the blast with his sword. Also, they claim Aerith healed him as well. But no such mention of is made in the script, Reunion Files, or any other guide book, which clearly references the two times she did heal him. When he passed out in the church, and when she cured his Geostigma. It's just a rather bizarre theory that's not supported but vehemently touted as fact.

4.) Sephiroth was only at 1/3 his strength because he only spawned from Kadaj instead of all three. The creator's specifically state they thought such a transformation would be too ridiculous to implement. And nevermind that the entire mechanics of his resurrection doesn't require all three remnants at all.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Please do share your own that you've experienced :awesome:

Smaddy

Green Mage
That Aeris can be revived. This has always annoyed me to no end, even way back when the game first came out. YES- it's sad she died. It's supposed to be sad! But to just up and revive her completely destroys a gigantic portion of FF7- not to mention, boy would that mess up AC. I think there are still people who think in the Japanese version she can be revived. *facepalm*

Is it okay to mention things like,
How people assume FF7 was the "first" FF, thus the SNES ones are prequels to FF7?
And then all the other goofy things like Aeris is the first major character in a game to die, or that OWA has the first digitized voicing in a videogame?

Oh also, if you're gonna mention VincentxYuffie... let's go one step further and mention VincentxShelke. No, no, and more no.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I knew someone was gonna be snarky and say that. I was just waiting to see who it'd be. :monster:

A said:
That Vincent and Yuffie are a pairing. Ew.

Yeah that's an annoying one. I don't think that one is quite the same thing though. There are crazy shippers everywhere regarding everyone. XD

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
That Zack is the Man in the Pipe. Bitch is dead, let it go. The character models even have different eye colours.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
In FFVII, there are a lot of weird....thoughts or assumptions that seem to keep cropping up that literally make no sense but are still believed and disseminated. Like a strange type of misinformation meme that spreads and infects the minds of people who partake in fandom. Let's list some of our favorites that we love to hate.

1.) Vincent is Sephiroth's father. This one is like polio. It's effectively cured and disproven in every way shape and form. But occasionally this one crops up in small fandom circles and spreads until someone takes an ultimania and beats it into submission.

Clearly impossible, Lucrecia is hot and Vincent is badass. Sephiroth is neither, so obviously one of those two couldn't be his real parent. Finding out Hojo was his dad explained *a lot* to me.

2.) Jenova controls Sephiroth. This one is effectively dead as well. But there are a few diehards who refuse to believe it because of some reason they can't quite say. This one irks me a lot.
He isn't controlled by her, but he's inheireted her ambitions, so it's an easy mistake to think, when Sephiroth is planning to basically do what Jenova once did all over again.

3.) In AC, when Cloud was tossed up to Bahamut SHIN and flew into its Tremor Flare, Aerith put up a barrier to shield him. People seem to confuse Cloud's glowing spirit energy glowing around him as some type of barrier that...somehow Aerith concocted and then used to protect himself. Nevermind the fact he's flinching in pain from the heat and slicing through the blast with his sword. Also, they claim Aerith healed him as well. But no such mention of is made in the script, Reunion Files, or any other guide book, which clearly references the two times she did heal him. When he passed out in the church, and when she cured his Geostigma. It's just a rather bizarre theory that's not supported but vehemently touted as fact.
Well what *was* Aerith doing then, promising him spirit sex if he won? I always took that scene to see she was infusing him with new strength to break through Bahamit SIN's attack....BTW, what the hell is his attack called? It's Bahamut so it must be "____" Flare of some kind, what's in the blank?

4.) Sephiroth was only at 1/3 his strength because he only spawned from Kadaj instead of all three. The creator's specifically state they thought such a transformation would be too ridiculous to implement. And nevermind that the entire mechanics of his resurrection doesn't require all three remnants at all.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Please do share your own that you've experienced :awesome:
The logic collapse there is that if all three remnants weren't needed, why did Sephiroth create three at all? What were Loz and Yazoo meant for if not to become him?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That Zack is the Man in the Pipe.

Dude...I seriously was expecting you to say something snarky like...

"That AC is a good movie" or "FFVII is a good game."

You just like..pulled a reverse on me! Crazy! :monster:

That's another one of those rumors that refuses to die despite its illogicality.

Clearly impossible, Lucrecia is hot and Vincent is badass. Sephiroth is neither, so obviously one of those two couldn't be his real parent. Finding out Hojo was his dad explained *a lot* to me.

LOL exactly :wackymonster:

He isn't controlled by her, but he's inheireted her ambitions, so it's an easy mistake to think, when Sephiroth is planning to basically do what Jenova once did all over again.

True, but Jenova never tried to absorb lifestream to become a god or summon a meteor. Sephiroth inherited her ambition but he isn't exactly doing the exact same thing. And Jenova isn't the true final villain.

Well what *was* Aerith doing then, promising him spirit sex if he won? I always took that scene to see she was infusing him with new strength to break through Bahamit SIN's attack....BTW, what the hell is his attack called?

Yeah, but no where does it ever say that. :monster: She's just giving him one extra push. Out of all the times listed where Aerith gives Cloud new strength or heals him in the movie, why would they exclude that part?

And the attack Cloud used to vanquish Bahamut Tremor was Climhazzard. That was his own limit break building up right there.

The logic collapse there is that if all three remnants weren't needed, why did Sephiroth create three at all? What were Loz and Yazoo meant for if not to become him?

Three are better than one :monster:

Triple the chance of having them find Jenova and merge with it.

kenobi

boosh
AKA
RANDYYYYYY
1) Vincent is a vampire because he was found in a coffin. >_>

2) For those yaoi fans, there's a popular assumption that Hojo raped Vincent during the experiments he conducted. I just don't generally accept that or like it, but sometimes - though very rarely - it can be utilized in the proper way.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Hard to tell, Tremor seems less powerful than ZERO (who uses Tera Flare). His power compared to Neo is more arguable, but either way, there aren't any open metric prefixes until after tera. (Bahamut Fury in Crisis Core uses Exa Flare which is 2 orders of magnitude over tera), so who knows. (EDIT: Oh...Tremor Flare...why the hell is that in Vincent's profile?)

And Aeris taking his hand is just because all of his friends helped him up, so she symbolically did as well.

And I was never totally sure even about Sephiroth "inheriting" her ambition. If Sephiroth had been made that powerful without an alien's cells I feel like he still would have tried to take over the world. And taking over the world isn't Jenova's ambition anyway, she just wants to destroy it.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
1) Argento is NOT a Coloured Tsviet

2) G-Substance is NOT an alternative name for stagnant Mako

3) You CANNOT beat Joe and the Invincible Tieoh at the Gold Saucer

4) You CANNOT collect 35 '1/35 soldiers'

5) The man with the 'No 1' tattoo mentioned by Dio is NOT Sephiroth

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
4.) Sephiroth was only at 1/3 his strength because he only spawned from Kadaj instead of all three.
LOL WHAT? I never heard that one before, WTF? That made me laugh.

That Sephiroth could still return... face it, he's dead :monster: All the Jenova cells were killed but Aerith's holy rain.

Also I've seen people say that Aerith had nothing to do with the end of FFVII and Holy was useless... I don't really believe that I think she had a huge hand in protecting the planet, hense her picture in the end.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
No they were purged when his Geostigma was healed... I thought.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
Sephiroth did NOT jump into the Lifestream of his own free will at the Nibelheim Reactor

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Hard to tell, Tremor seems less powerful than ZERO (who uses Tera Flare). His power compared to Neo is more arguable, but either way, there aren't any open metric prefixes until after tera. (Bahamut Fury in Crisis Core uses Exa Flare which is 2 orders of magnitude over tera), so who knows. (EDIT: Oh...Tremor Flare...why the hell is that in Vincent's profile?)

Why do you think Tremor is less powerful than Zero? Wouldn't Tremor be above Terra?

And Aeris taking his hand is just because all of his friends helped him up, so she symbolically did as well.

Exactly.

DrakeClawFang said:
What about Cloud? Okay, technically Sephiroth cells instead of Jenova, but still.

Cloud doesn't have Jenova cells after being cured of Geostigma like everyone else. And "S-Cells" are merely Jenova cells. It's another name for Jenova cells specially treated by Hojo for Project S, which were used for SOLDIER afterwards.

And S and G, I love you. I totally forgot those. You keep saying the ones that pissed me off as well. :monster:

Smaddy

Green Mage
Also I've seen people say that Aerith had nothing to do with the end of FFVII and Holy was useless... I don't really believe that I think she had a huge hand in protecting the planet, hense her picture in the end.
Wow, I don't even know how somebody could think that Aerith had nothing to do with saving the planet. Did they miss the whole "praying for Holy to activate it" part of the story? It was just slightly important, ya know. :P

I hate when people refer to Cloud (and often Vincent) as "emo". No, they're not pre-teen/teens dressing in dark clothing and listening to sad music and writing "oh woe" poetry and stuff. I mean, if you felt responsible for somebody's death, and went through the amount of stuff they did, you'd be slightly "down" about it, wouldn't you?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Why do you think Tremor is less powerful than Zero? Wouldn't Tremor be above Terra?

Well Tremor doesn't shoot from space...and it didn't seem like the explosion from his attack would be as big. Everything's better from space!:monster:

S and G said:
3) You CANNOT beat Joe and the Invincible Teioh at the Gold Saucer

Can't beat his stats or beat him in a race?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
And holy crap yes to the 1/35 Soldier thing! It's a scale, not a fraction!
haha the first time I played I thought there were 35 as well XD

Let's see another one:
Cloud's not a loser and he did not like wearing the dress :muhaha:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well Tremor doesn't shoot from space...and it didn't seem like the explosion from his attack would be as big. Everything's better from space!:monster:

Bahamut Tremor is a special summon that interacts with the real world upon invocation, versus the other summons that just pull you into their own space to preform their attacks, thus their unique animation appearance.

Can't beat his stats or beat him in a race?

I'm pretty sure he means the stats, because it is possible to beat him in a race, of course. :monster:

Teioh's stats break the limit of what you can possibly achieve through breeding and racing. Hence his name "Invincible."

Top Bottom