The one Cloud really wanted to meet was...

The one I want to meet is...

• Aerith

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Tifa

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
I Know Dissidia is long over but I just wanted to know what you thought ;)

At first I thought It was Aerith, some people think that Cloud saying
"The one I really want to meet is..."

is a reference to
"......I think I'm beginning to understand. An answer from the Planet... the Promised Land... I think I can meet her... there."

But then Dissidia Duodecim came out and It suddenly became much more sense if it was Tifa?....
or maybe you think it's someone else, anyway what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
It's still kind of strange... Tifa was right there!

I also thought Aerith, I even thought of his mother, Tifa fits - but... Again, she was right there, unless he was out of it (considering everything...)

Neat question, but did we ever get an authoritative answer (say, the Ultimania Omegas)?

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
well I think the line is a throwback to the line in FFVII. Is it meant to refer to anyone, or is it referring to FFVII itself?

anyway, either way, I would think it means Aerith. Is this an LTD question? Cause to be quite frank, I think Dissidia has nothing to do with it? or it's a case of overanalyzing. :P

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I thought that the wholle "meeting" thing in the beginning was a badly written references to all the "meetings" in FF7: Cloud saying he hopes Tifa meets the real Cloud one day when in Northern Crater, them finally meeting each other in the lifestream sequence ("We meet again... Tifa") and the final poossible "meeting" with Aerith as an acceptance of death. Only in Dissidia, the original games are referenced very clumsily, because of bad writing. :monster: So yeah, I think it was a generic shout-out to the original at first and I am not gonna assume they already had the Duedocim cycle figured out at that time.

And yes, when you consider the whole Dissidia storyline we got, it's undoubtly Tifa.

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
well I think the line is a throwback to the line in FFVII. Is it meant to refer to anyone, or is it referring to FFVII itself?

anyway, either way, I would think it means Aerith. Is this an LTD question? Cause to be quite frank, I think Dissidia has nothing to do with it? or it's a case of overanalyzing. :P

Hmm I think its LTD related but it happened in the dissida universe so that's why I put it here...if you know what I mean....

Elisa Maza

Whomst
It's still kind of strange... Tifa was right there!

I also thought Aerith, I even thought of his mother, Tifa fits - but... Again, she was right there, unless he was out of it (considering everything...)

Neat question, but did we ever get an authoritative answer (say, the Ultimania Omegas)?
Tifa was already dead when he said he wanted to meet someone. It is also a reference to Tifa's question "we'll meet again, right?" in Duodecim.

Clearly, the fact that I remember these things so well means that I'm too much of a memory freak. Meh. D:

Also, sorry for typos, I am answering from phone. X_x

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
I see Dissidia as a total separate entity from FF7 but I dunno if that's actually accurate. Initially, I thought the quote itself was just a throwback to FF7, kind of like how everything else was. So yeah, it made sense if it were Aerith.

But then Duodecim came out and that just screwed everything up. We have Tifa in it and she's on Cloud's opposing team and she doesn't know who the fuck he is. He seems to remember her, though. He tries to save her, to live up to his promise to her and dies doing so. She also dies, sacrificing herself to give Cloud and the others another chance to win the next fight.

If we look at Dissidia as a separate world, I think the quote refers to Tifa now because he's lost her and the only real reason he continued to fight at all was because he wanted to protect her?

I guess really, it can go either way but the fact that Tifa is in the prequel gives her more of a lead on it than Aerith imho. :T

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
How can anyone vote Tifa? When she even agrees WITH Cloud to meet this person? That doesn't make a lick of sense. He's clearly referencing the fact they can meet up with Aerith in the afterlife if Holy decides to ALT+F4 humanity.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
How can anyone vote Tifa? When she even agrees WITH Cloud to meet this person? That doesn't make a lick of sense. He's clearly referencing the fact they can meet up with Aerith in the afterlife if Holy decides to ALT+F4 humanity.

In Dissidia? :T Tifa's dead. :P

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
This is about Dissidia, mate. Not the OG.

In the OG, yes. The line is a reference to him wanting to see Aerith again.

But in Dissidia's fucked up, fractured world of resetting and memory wiping, Cloud not only saw Tifa briefly while they were on opposing sides of the clusterfuck.

But then she died and wasn't "purified" (i.e. resurrected again). Of course Sephiroth, his #1 Fan always keeps coming back for more.

So it stands to reason that Tifa, his reason for fighting, and the one he tried to end the fighting for, would be the person he'd like to see again, since...well, he can't see her anymore and at that point, he's not even sure he'll be able to even make it back to his original home.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Never played Dissidia. Is there a youtube video of this? In VII the context of the reference seems pretty obvious about Cloud understanding he'll see Aerith again once he's dead. Which he magically forgets during Advent Children until she ghost talks to him.

But honestly as fucked up as that story sounds the one he really wants to meet could be a ham sandwich for all I know.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
For those who haven't played Dissidia 012, here are the Cloud and Tifa cut scenes. :)

The line from Dissidia:

Last edited:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Thanks Faye,

Those cutscenes made my head hurt a bit. Keith David as Chaos FTW though.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The cut scenes are a bit daunting. D: But one must see all evidence before voting, right? :D

He was one of the few decent voice actors in the entire thing, ngl.

Ya know, lots of people have voted for Aerith and haven't posted waii. I'm curious to see everyone's opinion on this because it can go either way. :T I find the discussions like neat new perspectives. :) WHY U SO SHY?

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
My inner- fangirl wants to say Zack :awesome:

But I think it's Aerith, because Aerith wanted to meet the real him in the OG. Though Dissidia is so damn confusing sometimes because of the character memory loss and all. xD

Aerith wanted to meet the true him, so it could be her, but who knows ?
Maybe it is Zack. :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
And Cloud hoped Tifa got to meet the real him in the OG.

In the context of Dissidia, the one Cloud wants to meet is most certainly Tifa. It's a narrative bookend. She's brought up, they meet, he switches sides for her, she gets removed from the cycle, he wants to meet her again.
Aerith's mention in the game by Cloud number one. As part of a group. Which includes Zack. Who actually does get referenced directly.
My point? Aerith's not relevant to the Dissidia story. Not by a long shot. Tifa's actually in the game and relevant to Cloud's overall arc.
If it's a reference to Aerith, then it's actually very shitty storytelling, since its a reference contrary to all narrative indication and which means there's no thematic resolution or followup to the elements raised in 012.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
It's a reference to a line relating to Aeris so imma go ahead and vote Aeris and just not overthink this. :monster:

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I don't think it's over thinking it to say it's Tifa tho, especially after what happens in Duodecim... :T

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
As first I had originally thought it was in reference to Aerith like in OG but I think with Duodecim, it makes a lot more sense for the person he wants to meet is Tifa.

...I always thought that this line was metaphorical in a sense though.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
that line is really more related to aeris, though, so it'd be weird for them to use it to talk about tifa

like if they use a line like, "words aren't the only way..." or a reference to promises etc than that's obviously between cloud and tifa, but the "meeting" line was used only from aeris to cloud and then from cloud to aeris.

but tbh dissidia's relation to actual "canon" confuses the hell out of me.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
that line is really more related to aeris, though, so it'd be weird for them to use it to talk about tifa

like if they use a line like, "words aren't the only way..." or a reference to promises etc than that's obviously between cloud and tifa, but the "meeting" line was used only from aeris to cloud and then from cloud to aeris.

but tbh dissidia's relation to actual "canon" confuses the hell out of me.

Exactly. When I first played Dissidia, it was obviously about Aerith, no question. But I don't get Dissidia's relation to canon and the OG so that's why things get sticky. If you look at it separately, I think Tifa makes the most sense because she's in the game and there's the reference in Duodecim where she asks Cloud if they'll meet again. And then Cloud fights to save her and when she's gone, he loses a reason to fight in Dissidia.

BUT. If it is in fact related to the OG and canon and stuff, well...then things get blurrier because you're right; that line was only in reference to Aerith.

I think it's probably just a retcon. Initially, I think SE meant it to be about Aerith and then they made Duodecim and trolled everyone like they always do. :monster:

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
In FF7 it is Aerith and in Duodecim it is Tifa. Aerith as far as I can tell does not relate to the dissidia world...yet. Of course taking Dissidia as canon is like taking KH as canon...do if you wish so but do not expect a lot of relevance with the source material. It should probably be regarded as a stand alone.

Top Bottom