• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The one Cloud really wanted to meet was...

The one I want to meet is...

• Aerith

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Tifa

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
i think he wanted to meet aerith because she's important to him, his world, his friends, everything. i mean, aerith is sort of a human representation of their earth now. so let's not shit pants if he wanted to meet aerith okay?

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
One person ranting does not make a debate, and it was hardly any more than a little over a page about it.

STOP BEING SO OVER THE TOP NIGGER

Dac, ILU. Come here, you stud. ;)

Aradia said:
I'll be perfectly honest I think the flowers are a clear reference to Aeris. I mean with the white materia, although it belonged to her, there's enough leg room to say it's something associated with the world and that's cool but

The flowers have always been used to indicate her presence in Advent Children -- isn't there a specific scene showing her flowers with Zack's sword as a little memorial to their memory? and then the flowers in front of the family photo as a nice little reminder that she's still their family even though she's dead.

general response to thread: idk guess i just don't get why people get so defensive and antsy whenever aeris is referenced, especially in relation to cloud. of course they're going to use him to reference her who cares??? i can't believe there's already 7 pages of this nonsense christ

I've always seen Aerith to be a major factor in the FF7 world. So her connection to it is sort of unavoidable? I mean, when most people think of FF7, Aerith comes to mind because of her death and sacrifice, and the flowers and materia are forever tied to her character as is the world of FF7 itself.

I still don't see the romance in it as much as I see it as just an homage to Aerith. It's just nice that they might have been paying her a tribute.

My view on the line itself doesn't change but I can get why some people are defensive about it. I'd be the same way if it was a Tifa line or whatever.

AND DON'T BE CRANKY ZEE *hugs*

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I do not think my question ever was properly answered...

Anyways maybe SE was purposely ambiguous about the line? To make us fans obsess on it even more than we already are? Would not put it past them.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
i think he wanted to meet aerith because she's important to him, his world, his friends, everything. i mean, aerith is sort of a human representation of their earth now. so let's not shit pants if he wanted to meet aerith okay?

But he's already met Aerith.

...She's his assist whenever he needs to beat the shit out of Tifa. :awesome:

He wants to meet Tifa again so he can kick the shit out of her on ad hoc.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
"The one I really want to meet is..."

Thought it was Aerith before I played the game, afterwards I honestly believe it's Tifa. She's the one he interacts with the entire game also Tifa says: "Will we meet again?" and other such things... it makes more sense for it to be her.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
general response to thread: idk guess i just don't get why people get so defensive and antsy whenever aeris is referenced, especially in relation to cloud. of course they're going to use him to reference her who cares??? i can't believe there's already 7 pages of this nonsense christ

BECAUSE IT'S NOT AERITH THEY'RE REFERENCING! IT'S JUST NOT! STOP SAYING IT IS, IT'S NOT IT'S NOT IT'S NOT FFS!

:awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Can't believe I missed eight pages of this. Not quite as much as I can't believe it happened at all, though. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

I'll be perfectly honest I think the flowers are a clear reference to Aeris. I mean with the white materia, although it belonged to her, there's enough leg room to say it's something associated with the world and that's cool but

The flowers have always been used to indicate her presence in Advent Children -- isn't there a specific scene showing her flowers with Zack's sword as a little memorial to their memory? and then the flowers in front of the family photo as a nice little reminder that she's still their family even though she's dead.

There's good points to be made there, yeah.

I myself see the flowerfield at the end as only peripherally an Aerith reference. Here's why:

Even the Ultimania for Dissidia tells us that Cloud's still regretting the deaths of Aerith and Zack in Dissidia, so it clearly took place for him between the events of the original game and the events of AC/C.

Ever since Case of Tifa and AC, I figured that Cloud's line at the end of the original game about wanting to meet Aerith was because he wanted to get her forgiveness. In Case of Tifa, that same night he said that line, he's also saying he has to survive because he'll never be forgiven otherwise.

So, he's already associated Aerith with guilt/forgiveness at that point.

Then we get the line in Dissidia about the one he really wants to meet -- at a time we've been told he's still feeling guilty. And he's standing in the Northern Crater, looking up, just like the last time he said something like this.

See where I'm going with this?

A flowerfield is where Cloud eventually asks Aerith for forgiveness, he and Firion speak of sharing one another's dream in Dissidia (a dream related to flowers), and then Cloud departs into a flowerfield at the end?

Seems to me that, where Cloud is concerned, flowers are a symbol of redemption. And, yeah, that is related to Aerith. Not in any kind of romantic way (put down the pitchforks), but, sure, it's related. Inarguably.

So I wouldn't call the flowers in Dissidia an Aerith reference per se, but a redemption reference.

Looking at Cloud's arc from the original game to AC/C, it makes sense. It's really only when you try looking at Dissidia as self-contained with him that things get a little muddy.

While you would do that with most of the characters in the game, I don't think you would do it with him given that -- unlike the others -- a very specific timeframe was applied to Cloud (when he was still feeling guilty) for Dissidia, with Advent Children Complete coming out only four months later.

Top Bottom