The Origin and Concepts of Final Fantasy

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
This is something I've wanted to talk about for a long time but never really delved in to.

Final Fantasy (the first one at least) gets much of its lore from Dungeons and Dragons, but also other things.

A few things that come to mind are the various job classes (expanded on in later games but never really discussed in large fashion in terms of the lore they're based on).

Knight/Warrior/Barbarian/Samurai
---Pretty basic representation of any medieval hero ever, but has elements from Vikings and Norse peoples who were famous for their travelling and war-like traits.

Thief/Bandit/Ninja/Assassin
---Originates mostly from a combination of the common thief-at-market who has quick movements and skill (often based on tales like 1001 Nights), and Japanese folklore surrounding Ninjas who were said to be secret agents and spies and assassins for feudal lords at the time.

Black Mage/Black Magician/Wizard/Geomancer/Mystic/Summoner/Dark Knight
---Obviously there are several occults that have existed over the centuries, some of which involve worshipping nature, others acting more as a rebellion against God as a concept, but despite the dark and "evil" nature they are often portrayed as, they hold rituals not unlike any other religion.

White Mage/Paladin/Sage
---On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have a form of occultism meant for healing rather than fulfilment of carnal desires... whether that's Buddhism or some form of Tai Chi or even Holistic medicine... the idea seems to originate a lot from that.

Red Mage
---Not really a 'mage' per se, but seems to come from the concept of a Musketeer (a form of knight in France)

Dragon Knight/Lancer
---The story goes that there were knights that could supposedly tame dragons and ride them and learn their ways. Then of course you had lance riders who jousted as a method of battle.

Martial Artist/Monk
---More Eastern hand-to-hand style combat that originates mostly from China where society lived in laws where weapons were prohibited and thus learned to fight with their fists based on the behavior of various animals and creatures from nature (Tigers, Mantis, etc). And of course this also has a form of religious bering as well.

Mimics/Pantomimes
---Seems to be a form of theater or play acting, sometimes political in nature, but often in the form of Impressions, not unlike what comedians do in this day and age. Expression was also especially important in the Silent Film era and just prior.

Of course, a lot of this is speculation based on what I've heard over the years about the Lore, I'd like to learn more about it and where much of this information came from... even stuff like information about monsters and creatures of Final Fantasy's lore... for example: Where did the concept for a Moogle come from?

So anyway, I figured I'd post this thread here since I didn't think of where else to put it.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
red mages were apparently based on the character of d from hideyuki kikuchi's vampire hunter d novels (hironobu sakaguchi is supposed to have said this in an interview featured in a series of books called game maestro), and according to the japanese ff wiki also perhaps on the character of rackhir the red archer from the elric series of novels. both of these series had illustrations by yoshitaka amano when they were published in japan. red clothing is also apparently a reference to advanced dungeons and dragons (namely the dragonlance novels), where neutral mages wore red robes.

Top Bottom