The political landscape of FF7 doesn't really...make any sense.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Re: The political landscape of FF7 doesn't really...make any sense.

[quote author=looneymoon link=topic=2.msg2397#msg2397 date=1229490398]I wanted to point out the size of the planet too. It did always seem ridiculously small.[/quote]

We only got to see a single continent of Spira. There's quite a lot about their world we've heard about but not seen, like their polar ice cap.

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know how long the FF10 journey took? Since FFX/FF7 supposedly take place in the same world (?), some stuff from FFX may shed light on the FF& world.

Same continuity, at least some common descent, but different planet.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

We only got to see a single continent of Spira. There's quite a lot about their world we've heard about but not seen, like their polar ice cap.

There's absolutely nothing short of an Ultimania article that would make be believe that Spira isn't what you see in FFX, as in I believe that the world map is in fact the world, with the continent you see the continent there is.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne

Dumb Apple said:
We know that Shinra existed as a power company for at least 37 years, because that's as far back as the timeline dates.
Just to nitpick, can you cite this number? I don't doubt you—I just want to see it because I think I've missed it myself.

Suzaku said:
Originally, there were the Cetra, which were probably a nomadic, tribal society of hunter-gatherer types, as stated.
The fact that they were nomadic is definite. Sephiroth explains this to Cloud in ShinRa Manor. (Not that he didn't fuck up a lot of "else" in that scene, BUT.) Is is possible to be nomadic without being tribal?

ForceStealer said:
Which even explains the 'flying', they just have significantly weaker gravity!
Oooh, video game physics! ^_^ *nerdgasm* I like this explanation, heh.

MOG said:
There's absolutely nothing short of an Ultimania article that would make be believe that Spira isn't what you see in FFX, as in I believe that the world map is in fact the world, with the continent you see the continent there is.
And that, by the way, made zero sense.

On the note of no remnants of previous civilizations existing, isn't that at least what Lower Junon is? A pre-existing town that they built a city on top of (or was the city built and then the town developed)? And the slums of Midgar, for that matter? Jessie tells Cloud, "Each town used to have a name‚ but no one in Midgar remembers them. Instead of names‚ we refer to them by numbered sectors. That's how things turned out."

It's not much, but it's something.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=2.msg2351#msg2351 date=1229461152]
[quote author=Suzaku link=topic=2.msg2058#msg2058 date=1229306054]Gaia is also incredibly small compared to Earth. Even disregarding scale on the world map, if you go purely by travel time, it's possible to go from one continent to the other within the space of a day or so, and you can travel across many continents, back and forth, by foot, chocobo, airship, etc., in the space of just a couple months (the events of FFVII cover only about two months).[/quote]

Which even explains the 'flying', they just have significantly weaker gravity! =D
[/quote]

Haha, that would have to mean their gravity is weaker than the moon's.

Gaia pretty much has the same gravity as Earth, otherwise people and objects would behave differently from what we've seen (from a physics standpoint).

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne

tetsujin said:
Haha, that would have to mean their gravity is weaker than the moon's.

Gaia pretty much has the same gravity as Earth, otherwise people and objects would behave differently from what we've seen (from a physics standpoint).
Rain on my damn parade.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Cloud does survive a fall of what, half a mile? So that's something I'd consider to be substantially different physics-wise :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

Cloud's also a freaking mutant. So take that as you may.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

[quote author=V link=topic=2.msg12492#msg12492 date=1233305648]
Cloud does survive a fall of what, half a mile? So that's something I'd consider to be substantially different physics-wise :monster:
[/quote]

But he falls at the same speed you would expect one to fall at with normal gravity. :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I always assumed Square just sped it up so it wouldn't look so odd, because the alternative, that Cloud actually has the physical strength to survive a fall of that height, is just absurd :monster: Though it's possible that the gravity is similar to ours, but the terminal velocity an object can attain is much smaller. I'd buy that. I don't buy that Cloud fell at normal Earth gravity with the same terminal velocity we have here and survived though :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Are you guys talking about Advent Children after he coup d'graces Bahamut or falling to the slums in VII?

If its the former, the secret is in the flips. It's a well-documented fact that the more flips and flourish you put into your landing, the easier it will be. :monster:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I was referring to the fall to the slums. I haven't actually seen Advent Children, to tell the truth :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Haha, that's pretty funny considering the forum we met on. But I guess you might as well wait for ACC by this point :P

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V

Yeah I only starting posting regularly at ACF because I knew so many people from it who showed up at FFR/FFE. :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

Wow...I didn't know you hadn't even seen AC yet V. That's kinda funny. Yeah, might as well just wait for the Complete version, although I don't know if you have a PS3. :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=2.msg9729#msg9729 date=1232468586]

[/quote]

So where's the polar frickin' ice cap?

V, a lower terminal velocity would require a thicker atmosphere with quite higher drag per unit area, which would also heat them up significantly as well.

The 'Cloud's a gorram mutant' or the 'life energy boost and breaks' explanations are certainly more parsimonious that rewriting physics entirely.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

[quote author=Ryushikaze link=topic=2.msg12598#msg12598 date=1233350268]

The 'Cloud's a gorram mutant' or the 'life energy boost and breaks' explanations are certainly more parsimonious that rewriting physics entirely.
[/quote]

yeah, considering gravity effects everyone else much the same as it does in real life.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Makoeyes987 said:
Wow...I didn't know you hadn't even seen AC yet V. That's kinda funny. Yeah, might as well just wait for the Complete version, although I don't know if you have a PS3. :monster:
I have a Blu-Ray player. No PS3 though.

Ryushikaze said:
V, a lower terminal velocity would require a thicker atmosphere with quite higher drag per unit area, which would also heat them up significantly as well.

Rewriting physics seems more likely than "Cloud's a gorram mutant". Then again the lifestream explanation does make sort of sense. I just think it's odd that they don't even bother addressing it.

Dacon said:
yeah, considering gravity effects everyone else much the same as it does in real life.
Well that's why I thought it was due to a difference in terminal velocity.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog

I wish that Shinra soldiers weren't portrayed to be so hilariously incompetent. But then again, that wasn't really the case in Crisis Core, and most of the military was probably conscripted due to the war anyway.

Top Bottom