The thing is...this guy is right!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I liked both versions of Advent Children, to tell the truth. If I could, I would've merged the two together with my favorite scenes, with certain soundtracks from both films. The voice acting was amazing too. Square Enix sure knew how to pick them for FFVII back then.

And Crisis Core was awesome too. I like Dirge of Cerberus because of it's storyline, and I love the special episodes in Before Crisis-Episode of Reno and Episode of Legend are my favorites, and that Elena has an older sister.

The Novellas "On the Way to a Smile" and the book "The Lateral Biography: TURKS-The Kids are alright" are great too.

The original game was great, but I guess I'm a sequel junkie, since to me, the Compilation of FFVII is perfect, that being one of the reasons why I want Square Enix to continue the series and not just remake the original(even if that's probably the very last FFVII game they'll ever make), and also remake Before Crisis.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
I was in two minds about DoC. The Vincent Lucrecia story was great (though credit for that should go to FF7 really!) but the fmv and voice acting was dire.

I know what he means about the AC voice acting. It did come across as a little flat but I think it all sounded right. It was just all a bit mono.

Either way, shouldnt we be incredibly wary of this remake?

Lex

Administrator
I disagree in general with most of what this dude says but his description of the characters in AC was hilarious XD. He's for sure not wrong about that. And I thought the English voice acting in AC was terrible too tbh.

There's also the stuff where he goes on about DLC and microtransactions. Tbh, SQEX don't have a track record of pulling that crap with FF games. The worst offender was probably the Lightning DLC for XIII-2, but no console game since by them has had anything like that. And tbh I wouldn't have a problem with them releasing silly costume DLC (like Advent Children outfits or something) that I won't buy anyway XD. They could do great things with DLC as long as they don't actively cut and re-add it to the game this way. Extra optional content that wasn't a part of the original game is fine as DLC IMO.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I did love Advent Children, the original, and Crisis Core. And I've replayed Dirge of Cerberus many times. Even liked Shelke, Azul, Rosso in it. Wouldn't mind Cissnei and Kunsel showing up either.

But he's right about fair weather fans, Cloud, Reno, Gackt, Vincent, DLC, pre-order bonuses and I kinda agree that Square-Enix hasn't shown the ability to truly tackle a project of a FFVII remake's magnitude in the past ten years. FFXIV: ARR comes close but that had several stumbles.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Personally, I like the voice acting in AC and after. If they change the voice acting in the remake, I won't be happy at all. I mean, I hate to be a party pooper, but it's already bad enough that the remake is a reboot and even when Nomura said they had plans for future titles for the Compilation, it's now obvious that those ideas for those titles are secretly scrapped.

I wanna hear Steve Burton as Cloud and Quinton Flynn as Reno again. In fact, I want all of the actors from AC/ACC/CC/DOC to return to repraise their roles. (though Marlene as an excuse to have her voice actress change due to her previous ones have gotten too old to repraise a 4/6 year old, so that's not an issue.)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I don't think he's right at all about fair weather fans. The people who go on gamefaqs and say FFVII is crap/overrated are still there. Nobody has all of a sudden done a 180. And also, come on, it's not like FFVII is a football team or something. It was what it was, the people who liked it still do, even if they haven't spent the last 18 years fapping furiously to Seph/Cloud.

I am wary, because I've been disappointed by most of the compilation, so I know theres a good chance they're going to fuck it up.

Anyway, I didn't finish the whole vid. I found it annoying.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I didn't finish the video either. I don't have time to listen to some bitter, jaded neckbeard rambling on for sixteen minutes belittling stuff like the Gametrailers reaction for being embarrassing and cringeworthy when being able to get that excited about stuff even as an adult is an ability you don't wanna lose. It's more fun to be like the GT guys or all the other people who freaked out at the announcement than being a rambly, sad and cynical fuckface. You're not being more grownup or mature that way, you're just a goddamn killjoy.

Take one thing away from this: Don't be that guy.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I managed to push through almost 3 minutes but was overwhelmed with the amount of things I disagreed with and didn't have the power to argue with from down here below the soapbox.

He definitely seems to be talking from an extremely cynical place I just don't exist within. The kinda guy that will dismiss you as not being a TRUE fan, and then shit on half the compilation. A nerd that shames nerds for being nerds. Unbearable.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Lol, it is quite a deluge, and I disagree with him on several points like most others here (especially the reactions and DLC stuff), however, you kinda do need to finish the video as, by the end, he does a 180 and realises that the VII he knows and loves will still be there. His childhood isn't 'raped' - it will just stand alongside a new version which just might bring in a new generation of fans, new fans who can also share the love of something that he holds dear. He then goes on to speak of the possible improvements that this new version might actually bring to the title.

So yeah, if you can bring yourself to do it (I know it can be quite hard) do finish watching the video. The soapbox he is talking from isn't what you might think at first glance.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
So I was the only one who found it hilarious then? I loved his Final Fantasy 7 room which he uses to vent frustration in lol. I had a room just like that when I lived in a shared house...my house mates hated it.

I think he was unfair to a lot of the compilation but his fears in SE abilities are very real for me. I was cautious about this.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I got to the end of the video. After all that ranting, he then realizes in the final few minutes that the remake may actually be good, haha.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The segment where he makes fun of GT and makes a lewd comment about the woman's 'cooter' is pretty distasteful and buzzkill-ey. Other than that, I thought the video was rather on point.

The video takes a turn when he enters the Final Fantasy room. He realizes that the insults he has been hurling have been at himself. He should have been saying "We" instead of the plural "You" but there's a bit of comedy in him putting himself on a pedestal of cool and then having a tantrum in a room absolutely filled with Compilation-produced merchandise.

The segment where he makes fun of GT and makes a lewd comment about the woman's 'cooter' is pretty distasteful and buzzkill-ey. Other than that, I thought the video was rather on point.

The video takes a turn when he enters the Final Fantasy room. He realizes that the insults he has been hurling have been at himself. He should have been saying "We" instead of the plural "You" but there's a bit of comedy in him putting himself on a pedestal of cool and then having a tantrum in a room absolutely filled with Compilation-produced merchandise.

Yeah, take note gamers. Don't get too excited about things that mean a lot to you because maybe then a woman who is probably just trying to be professional might not want to bang you.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
His claim about remakes always being bad is a bit misleading.

Remakes are almost always bad because they're almost always cash grabs by studios with B level talent behind the camera.

If you asked James Cameron to remake the original terminator, would it suck? Not likely. Did Peter Jackson's King Kong remake suck?

I know alot of key people like Sakaguchi are not at Square anymore. But Nomura is still there, so is Kitase and others. And Nomura already said the staff is worried about certain changes ruining the 'FF7ness' of the game. So these poeple are very conscience of what the game is.

How can anyone see the trailer and not believe from that small glimpse that this team absolutely gets it? The slums in that trailer look better with more atmosphere then the slums in the original game. Midgar looks better and yet still feels every bit the same as the original game.

Theres not a single reason to doubt this project from what we've seen or heard so far of it. Yes XIII and its sequels were subpar. So your telling me that Because Square made 12 really good games in a row they're not allowed to mess up with XIII's compilation that only got better with each game?

Once I took my Square hating glasses off thanks to the remake announcement and trailer guess what, FFXV doesnt look half bad. Actually it looks pretty fun. Maybe even good. Maybe even great. If they can make it a good game, why not VII too?

Now the next VII remake trailer may feature a sobbing emo Cloud with a blaring j-pop song. When that happens I'll be ready to stick a fork in this one. Until then I will remain confident in this remake until Square gives me reason not to. Im not gong to make the mistake of hanging this thing when it hasnt even had a single day in court.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
I literally can't stand to look at that guy. His neckbeard, his awkward fashion, the geeky wallpapers. Jesus christ, what an insufferable kill joy.

Last edited:

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
*watches end of video*

...so that's how it is. Well played, sir. :shifty:

Looks like we know the people on the forum who skim through social media and read the titles of news articles but not the whole story :P
The internet is a massive database full of interesting, amazing things. Sixteen minutes are a lot of time that could be better spent than listening to some white dude talk at a camera. Even now that people have mentioned a twist, I still can't be bothered to go back and watch the rest of the video. I'm content taking their word for it.

The first thing you learn when making youtube videos is that for one, most people decide after 30 seconds whether or not they are going to watch a video, so you need to make a good hook. Secondly, videos longer than 3 or 4 minutes, people just won't even bother with unless they have some pre-established reason to. Youtube is full of a lot of people doing a lot of amazing things, and you have to be able to compete with that. You need to fight for people's interest and attention.

Knowing all that, can you really blame us for clicking off a sixteen minute video of an angry beard guy and finding better uses of our limited time in our mortal lives?

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Hes the 2nd guy on youtube I've run across that bashed the GameTrailers reaction.

Im sorry but you need to go double check your humanity if seeing that reaction made you angry or resentful. Oh I get it, you dont get excited about anything because your a jaded cynical nihilist so it just kills you to see people get emotional about something and have high hopes for it.

I'll admit the guy wasnt quite the run of the mill angry video game youtuber who simply repeats things hes heard or always tries to be PC. He made some interesting, original points. But the last 30 seconds should have been a much larger part of his video. As it stands most people will see him as a run of the mill angry video game youtube reviewer.

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
*watches end of video*

...so that's how it is. Well played, sir. :shifty:

Looks like we know the people on the forum who skim through social media and read the titles of news articles but not the whole story :P
The internet is a massive database full of interesting, amazing things. Sixteen minutes are a lot of time that could be better spent than listening to some white dude talk at a camera. Even now that people have mentioned a twist, I still can't be bothered to go back and watch the rest of the video. I'm content taking their word for it.

The first thing you learn when making youtube videos is that for one, most people decide after 30 seconds whether or not they are going to watch a video, so you need to make a good hook. Secondly, videos longer than 3 or 4 minutes, people just won't even bother with unless they have some pre-established reason to. Youtube is full of a lot of people doing a lot of amazing things, and you have to be able to compete with that. You need to fight for people's interest and attention.

Knowing all that, can you really blame us for clicking off a sixteen minute video of an angry beard guy and finding better uses of our limited time in our mortal lives?

And that is fine, but people should comment unless they have read/watched it.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
And that is fine, but people should comment unless they have read/watched it.
Disagree strongly. Not being able to finish something is one type of experience someone can have with a thing. If someone does not finish a video game because they found it incredibly unfun, that is their experience, and it is a valid review. I disagree with this attitude some people have that you have to sit through something you don't enjoy from start to finish in order to pass judgement on it. If something does not demand the attention of the people watching it, hook them, and keep them hooked, that is a failure on the part of the piece of work, rather than the viewer. If someone's TV show was getting garbage viewership, do you think it would be fair to blame television viewers?

Top Bottom