The Witcher - A New Saga Begins

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
New Witcher Saga Announced. CD PROJEKT RED Begins Development on Unreal Engine 5 as Part of a Strategic Partnership with Epic Games!

16-9-en-1024x576.png

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
"The Witcher 4 - Dandelion's Dalliances"

Embark on a riveting mystical quest through the many taverns, halls, and royal courts of Nilgaard and beyond as Dandelion, the bard without equal!
tumblr_owdsz0lOTs1vbcnq8o1_500.gifv

Bang out fresh new chords as lords and ladies cheer you on!
Can you deliver your honeyed words with enough flair to win over the lonely duchess and save her from a loveless marriage? (If only for a night or two!)
Feel your fingertips bleed in Dueling Minstrels mode! Go head-to-head against your friends!
Toss a coin to your developer, and get this very unique, never-before-seen game now!

Pre-release demonstration footage. Final product may differ. All descriptions, graphics, and gameplay subject to change without warning. Requires purchase of PS5 LuteTooth™ controller (not included).

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The Witcher Mobile - Conjunction Wars incoming... experience young Geralt in his first years as witcher.

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Announcing a release date was the least of CDPR problems on their last game.
You're right, but I do think that by giving themselves a time limit (even if they overshot it), they gave themselves an entirely new set of issues. Crunch (which the boss nearly promised would never happen), huge gameplay changes, inadequate debugging time, all of these could easily have been avoided. But they were feeling the pressure to release.

Meanwhile Valve developed the next Half-Life game in over a decade in complete secrecy, and only announced its existence 4 months before release, when it was nearly complete, despite it having been in development for 4 years.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
You're right, but I do think that by giving themselves a time limit (even if they overshot it), they gave themselves an entirely new set of issues.
A project without a deadline is an aimless project. The issue is not that they gave themselves a deadline, the issue was management didn't used the allocated time correctly.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
A project without a deadline is an aimless project. The issue is not that they gave themselves a deadline, the issue was management didn't used the allocated time correctly.
I should have phrased that differently: they gave the world a time limit. So now the pressure is from within and without.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm glad they finally - after fucking 15+ years - decided that they aren't actually good enough to build a full on video game engine and get something off the shelf. Witcher 1 was plagued with issues so much so they basically rebuilt it as an "enhanced edition" a year ago which fixed a lot of shit. Witcher 2 felt like an intermediate, half a game with half a plot and half an ending. Witcher 3 was fine but was still plagued with tons of issues beacause they thought they could do this. Cyberpunk was Cyberpunk.

I'm spitting shit here because Witcher 3 was great for its story / writing - best in class etc - but shit for its engine. Gameplay was fine, but that was the culmination of 15ish years of "how do I make a game?". Reinventing the wheel when they could've just used an off the shelf engine to make a game instead.

Smug game devs thinking they can fix a problem that isn't one, e.g. a game engine. Just use something off the shelf if you want to make a vidja game.

Lex

Administrator
Unreal Engine is legit going to be the backbone of almost every AAA game in future innit.

I'm not a developer (like Yop is), but in my limited understanding I have mostly positive feelings about developers moving to more universal engines. The downside is when it's publisher-forced, see Bioware and Frostbite (groan). Though I think even the next Dragon Age game is going to be in UE.

Square Enix, I was happy when they announced initially that remake and KH3 were going to be in Unreal Engine, because it means we're not shafted with something like Crystal Tools, which was foisted on a few projects (XV) likely due to sunk cost fallacy.

At the same time, I am a little bit sad in terms of like, the technical creativity. Most developers have proven in recent years that building their own engines for projects is a bad idea when something that's built to be easy to develop in (Unreal) is readily available, but I do feel a kind of bizarre nostalgia for things like the absolute frankenstein that is the technical build of Square's PS1 games (particularly VII). I spent a lot of time trying to understand the file structure and code, and really looking at some of these older projects they're just immensely unique from a technical angle in a way that modern games don't have to be.

I get that this is a good thing for development and asset creation and stuff, I'm mostly happy about it. I just think regardless of how ridiculously versatile the Unreal framework is, there's a loss of innovation/ uniqueness when it's all we have.

And as trash as the red engine or whatever it's called happens to be - I know even TW3 was a buggy mess when it launched - were people not amazed at the scale and scope of the game when it launched? Do we think that would have been achieved if they hadn't developed their own engine? This is a theoretical question, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

Lex

Administrator
Thought I'd highlight this bot post I just deleted because I had to read it for a fair while before I realised it was copying bits of my post with a link at the bottom.

1648758770246.png

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Polaris is a codename for the next installment in The Witcher series of games,they aim to release two more Witcher games over the course of 6 years after the release of Polaris.

FePBDoYWQAER5VP

Canis Majoris is a full-fledged Witcher game, separate to the new Witcher saga starting with Polaris. It will be developed by an external studio headed by experienced developers who have worked on past Witcher games.
FePBHKIXEAETwM5

Sirius is a codename for the game developed by The Molasses Flood (CD Projekt subsidiary), set in The Witcher universe and created with support from CDPR. It will differ from past productions, offering multiplayer gameplay on top of a single-player experience including a campaign with quests and a story.
FePBQTIXgAALl98

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
A remake? Thank god. Cause trying to play the first Witcher during quarantine was like pulling teeth. Easily one of the worst-aged games ever, not just for the graphics and lack of QOL but also its pigheaded writing and mid-2000s MMO busywork. Everyone is gaga over Witcher 3 but I never finished game 1.

Edit: I know it’s CDPR’s first game, so I have to give it due credit. It’s also the only CDPR game I’ve tried… while I hope that more than just graphics and gameplay have improved over the years, Cyberpunk’s reviews tell me “marginally.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom