The X Connection

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Well, we've mentioned adding in the Compilation stuff and about expanding the existing lore, so the next natural progression is to talk about the elephant in the room - the threads which supposedly tie this game to X.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept check out:

http://thelifestream.net/lifestream...avel-airships-the-canon-that-links-ffvii-ffx/

Now that we are getting a Remake that sounds like it will reshape, or retell, the original story, what are your thoughts concerning this? Would you want the team to add in a more concrete connection to X? Even though it certainly has its hands full with merging or hinting at the compilation content as it is?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Oddly enough Mr. Ite and I brought this up in the interview I did with him about the Jenova Project.

Here's the thing about that though... while it's been confirmed via the Ultimania Guide that the descendents of Shinra from FFX-2 developed space travel, went to the planet from FF7 (we see the rocket ship in Bone Village) and then went on to develop Mako and form "Shinra", I wonder if that's something that enough people know of to bother including in the remake...

Think about it this way, we know an official "Final Fantasy Timeline" exists somewhere because of this information. That somewhere all the pieces are coming together intricately to bind these tales that maybe ought not to be bound together (a la the Zelda Timeline).

That said, it's interesting to speculate that maybe these space travelers became the human beings that overrode the Cetra (and why Sephiroth referred to humans as traitors). And hey, here's a scary thought... maybe these space travelers brought JENOVA with them.

Ultimately it's a fun theory, but does it belong in the remake? Well... let's just stick with the Compilation which is confusing enough without adding another two games into the mix.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'd love to see something definitively FFX-related as a randomly discoverable trinket in Bone village. That'd be sufficient for me.

X :neo:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I've said before and I'll say it again. I really really don't like the idea of X being connected to VII. They should remain separate stories. It doesn't even make sense that Shinra would've been just a weapons company and only discover mako energy mere decades before the OG if the company was founded by the descendants of someone who invented space travel and wanted to develop such an energy source. Also, OG canon already had Jenova show up on a meteor so it'd be a pretty bad idea to retcon that to it being brought by space travelers.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
I've said before and I'll say it again. I really really don't like the idea of X being connected to VII. They should remain separate stories. It doesn't even make sense that Shinra would've been just a weapons company and only discover mako energy mere decades before the OG if the company was founded by the descendants of someone who invented space travel and wanted to develop such an energy source. Also, OG canon already had Jenova show up on a meteor so it'd be a pretty bad idea to retcon that to it being brought by space travelers.

Why wouldn't it make sense if they concealed their plans and only eventually set them into motion after several decades getting money with their weapons development? There could be several explanations.

You're smart about this and I can see why, but there're always other ways...

hleV

Pro Adventurer
I hate FFX, so I'd appreciate if the Remake didn't have any noticable connection to it.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Why wouldn't it make sense if they concealed their plans and only eventually set them into motion after several decades getting money with their weapons development? There could be several explanations.

You're smart about this and I can see why, but there're always other ways...

For space travel to have existed and been forgotten, they would've had to have been there for at least a few centuries. For the connection to actually matter, we'd have to expect it took that long for them to carry out the plan of discovering that kind of energy source rather than having it happen by chance, which makes the whole X and space travel thing pointless. It also clashes with the world building as X and VII's settings are very different from each-other, culturally. I'd much rather believe the implication that the humans in VII are the descendants of Cetra who gave up the nomadic lifestyle and ended up losing touch with the planet.

You'd also have to explain things like the difference in how magic and summoning works between the two games.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I agree. The connections between VII and X are fun, but I've never given them much credence. I don't think they should be a serious part of canon at all.

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
I don't think the X connection should be given much attention, either. What made the early games, strong, I think, was that they were each their own unique world with their own unique story separate from the others. That kind of got lost after X, I think.

I think the X connection may have been SE's attempt to try to get X to ride on VII's classic status rather than let X get its own all by itself. You can't deliberately create a classic, it just doesn't work that way. Classics become what they are because those who experience them make them such, not because they were designed that way. I think that's partly also why XIII got a bit bungled the way it was. SE was trying to create another VII, but you can't force the lightning into the bottle, so to say. It has to go in there on its own. And it felt, to me anyway, that what they were trying to do with the XIII series was forcibly create a classic rather than let it occur on its own organically. Fortunately, I think—I hope—they've learned from that experience, though, since what I've heard about Type-0, XIV Heavensward, and XV are mainly positive things, though I could have missed some stuff.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Is there a chance they've changed their minds about connecting X and VII? I mean it was only said offhandedly in a single interview or something right? Stuff like that can get revised.

Is there a chance they've changed their minds about connecting X and VII? I mean it was only said offhandedly in a single interview or something right? Stuff like that can get revised.
I would actually like for modern Japanese guide books, like those released in conjunction with FFX HD, to be checked to see if they include any mention of the FFVII - FFX connection. Whether the connection is ignored, denied or confirmed (again) would be interesting to know.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I don't like the idea either, but I wouldn't be devastated if what X said, some piece of shit could be dug up in bone village......I dunno what...a fucking blitzball or something :monster:

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
I don't like the idea either, but I wouldn't be devastated if what X said, some piece of shit could be dug up in bone village......I dunno what...a fucking blitzball or something :monster:

:hypnotoad:

The best worst minigame of all time!

In all honesty, they should just forget this connection completely . If they want it to exist, they should just nod to it like Zidane points out to Cloud's weapon in FFIX. That'd be funny, just keep it light, don't ruin both of the games with too much trying. Of course with a bit of effort, one can piece together two pieces of a different puzzle, but it doesn't mean you should. Imagine having a medieval castle in all its' glory and then behold, it has the ass piece of a donkey for a gate.

On a second thought, I'd buy that shit :monster:

Top Bottom