thelifestre.am

YEDgLJN.png

tumblr_npnpa3rTrd1r2aobgo2_500.gif

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Websites usually pick up domains like that because they're considerably shorter than their existing domains, which is useful for many reasons, the main one being Twitter. thelifestre.am would only be three characters shorter than thelifestream.net so I'm not sure it would be worth the expense and hassle.

(Also, what the hell is thelifestivityre.am? :awesome:)

If something like lifestream.com were to become available, on the other hand, we should definitely try to get it.

Lex

Administrator
Like Flint, I've thought about obtaining thelifestream.com before and I've actually looked it up.

.com's are more expensive, which I assume is why whoever bought this domain (Yop?) went with .net. Into the bargain, this site is now established and actually gets traffic, which bumps up the price of the name "thelifestream" attached to any suffix considerably. What's more, someone else has it, and I would guess continues to own it knowing that we might one day desire it, all while we do the work to bump up the value of the thing.

It's actually for sale now on hugedomains.com. At a low low price of $2495. The website I used to calculate the overall worth of the domain name places the value of it at $3426. So if anyone has a spare two and a half grand sitting about, jump on that bargain now! lmao

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So out of curiosity, what's the difference between .net and .com? Does the .com automatically bump you up in notice ability or something? :huh: I feel like TLS has a pretty good leg to stand on right now due to all the content here, but I'm curious.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IIRC .com was just not available back when. Also, for historic reasons, a lot of FF sites / communities have taken the .net moniker (.network, social sites, something like that? idk).

As for the difference, there's not much of one practically. There's a number of people that would use to put ".com" behind every web address (similar to everyone putting www. in front of web address), but not sure how much of a habit that still is nowadays, given that most people don't even bother with entering internet addresses anymore and just go with google - often faster, too.

It shouldn't affect search rankings at all, the domain name is for the top level ones (.net, .com, etc) not relevant to that. I think. The penalty for changing from .net to .com would be far, far greater than any benefit of having .com as a primary address, too.

Finally, .com is kinda intended for companies / businesses.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
It's actually for sale now on hugedomains.com. At a low low price of $2495. The website I used to calculate the overall worth of the domain name places the value of it at $3426. So if anyone has a spare two and a half grand sitting about, jump on that bargain now! lmao

When I win the $1.3 Billion Powerball jackpot on Wednesday this will be the first thing I do. :salute:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Nowadays, you can apply to register any TLD you want, so you could try to get .tennyo or whatever you want. Someone has already applied for .stream - I'm not sure when it will become available to the public. It would be pretty nifty if we could get life.stream.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Lifestream.tennyo

Make it so.

But to be serious, the ".net" is part of the name. I wouldn't change it.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah it has become so now, but the value of buying out domains is also for mis-typing purposes. Like people will remember the name of a site but not the suffix, so what a lot of sites do is just register everything available (.com, .net. .co.uk etc) and plant a redirect to the actual site on all of them. So you'd be taken to thelifestream.net if you typed thelifestream.com in a browser address bar.

Sites are doing this less and less though (because of the aforementioned ".com" no longer being the go-to thing to type). www.finalfantasy.co.uk used to redirect to square enix for example, but they've given up the domain. Meanwhile, KHInsider now owns finalfantasy.net.

We're living in a new age of internet :monster:

Pixel

The Pixie King
I always figured .net domains were for sites based in the Netherlands, but I guess thats .nl :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
If .stream is available, we could totally do the.life.stream, :monster:

If I were rich I'd buy .fhtagn, because iä.

Top Bottom