Theory: Opening cinematic

Pixel

The Pixie King
Im thinking the opening cinematic will go something like this

Possibly Nanaki explaining the history of Midgar.
We see the development of a prosperous city
15_zpsydfqnsnc.png

A modern city built up, only a few years after the widespread use of Mako energy.
6_zpsgnlfkb4h.png

2_zpsemqolr98.png

For a time, it was good
5_zpsatd2wq2e.png

Over time it made the land barren as Shinra stepped up production to meet demand The polution starts blocking out the sun.
1_zpspl7xeyqa.png

We see (possibly) the first time a new Mako reactor is fired up in Midgar
17_zpsl4yaacdg.png

Cut to what Midgar has become
10_zpsqrshv3v1.png

13_zpsranrseci.png

8_zpsudkugxhp.png.html

We see what has become of that city, torn down to create an acropolis. And in its place, the debris is left to fester.
7_zpsbuuudxov.png

We get a brief glimpse of Cloud and Barret making their way through the slums.to board the train.
11_zpsuhiuzoht.png

16_zpsmrgmiojy.png

Bright light, Transition to the light of the helicopter
12_zpspfxw3zmb.png

Cut to Aerith in the Alleyway
vlcsnap-2015-06-19-21h27m52s125_zpsoj8drxzf.png

vlcsnap-2015-06-19-21h28m44s159_zpskaqwweji.png

vlcsnap-2015-06-19-21h29m13s149_zps3hokxiks.png

Brief shot of speeding train
vlcsnap-2015-06-19-21h30m05s166_zpsqb6yd3nt.png

Cut to Biggs and Wedge already at the reactor.
14_zpshqaidbr8.png

Train pulls into the station
vlcsnap-2015-06-19-21h30m25s177_zpsa1vl939z.png

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
That will be awesome, heres hoping. (welcome back btw;) )

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm good with the part of Nanaki doing the voice-over. But Midgar was build with Mako energy. And we can see the big pipes in the shots of the modern city. It'll really change the shape of the world if Mako energy wasn't needed for electricity, and brought no comfort or luxury to anyone.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well, it could be that they had been using it for a few years, and the city built up. And over time it made the land barren as Shinra stepped up production to meet demand

FinalHeavenxLockhartx

~.Tifa Lightning Lockhart.~
New to the place here! I agree with the whole Nanaki explaining to the player or 'certain characters' about the events that are about to unfold. I'd go into detail but I dont wanna spoil anything for anyone but I think this would be an awesome idea seeing as the remake won't be exactly the same so I'm sure it'll have a longer and dynamic intro!

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
That's an interesting theory. I don't think the Mako Reactor first coming online and turning the city into a hellhole theory is altogether bad either. If you recall the lore, Midgar was built by taking all the various towns and cities in the area and combining them into a metropolis with the 8 Mako Reactors circling the central Shinra Tower. This would also explain why we see the highways and trains running throughout.

As for Mako being the thing creating electricity, that is a snagging point. But we see clear signs of electricity in one place nowhere near a Mako Reactor in the game. Icicle Inn. (My headcanon is that Gold Saucer was powered by the Gongaga and Corel Reactors and Rocket Town by Nibelheim.) So maybe Mako was just a cheaper energy alternative that could be easily controlled.

Then again, they are called the Shinra Electric Corporation, not the Shinra Mako Corporation, so I could be wrong.

Edit: I would love to hear Shademp's thoughts on this.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Everything was coal powered before Mako. In On The Way To A Smile they revert back to coal powered vehicles.

Oil was also being explored as a fuel, but when Mako came along, it was abandoned, and it was Mako all the way.

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
I can see how Midgar might go from being gritty to changing into a clean city with high rise buildings etc. but I don't really see it happening in reverse. There aren't any remains of these tall buildings in the Midgar we know from the OG and indeed from other shots of Midgar in the trailer(excluding the Shinra HQ) to support this theory.

I would still argue that it's Midgar in the future and then the trailer that we've seen cuts back to the Midgar "we remember"

But anyway, that's a discussion for another thread.

The rest of the ideas are very nice.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Everything was coal powered before Mako. In On The Way To A Smile they revert back to coal powered vehicles.

Oil was also being explored as a fuel, but when Mako came along, it was abandoned, and it was Mako all the way.

Didn't Barret grow a hard-on at finding oil in a phonecall at the start of AC/ACC?

Lex

Administrator
Pixel as I was reading through your post initially I was like "original opening or riot" but then I see how you mixed the two and I'm 100% on board.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I figured I'd throw together an opening sequence. I was hoping to get Nanaki's VA to do a little voiceover, but he's the same guy who played Reno, so I'm not holding out much hope lol. I haven't added in all of the sound effects yet. You might recognise the sound of the kids playing as the last thing you hear in FF7. The video is set to private btw

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I got an
First, the game would begin with Aerith's prayer... but not the one of the OG. I'm talking about this one...

VIICC_Aerith_2.jpg

videomp4_000032497.jpg

Transition to a first-person view (meaning: Cloud's) running through the slums of Midgar, with an effect of tunnel vision

Final-Fantasy-VII-remake-E3-trailer-screenshot-5.png

Which would eventually lead to this scene, where Tifa finds Cloud on the platform of Sector 7.

477.jpg

She gives him food and shelter in the 7th heaven, before Cloud sets to follow Zack's wishes (referring to the image below, which obviously wouldn't be displayed at this stage)

FFVIIZacksFinalStandTruck.jpg

and takes small jobs in Midgar which would be structured as an open-world.
Sometime later Cloud signs up for the Bombing Mission we all know.

Pixel

The Pixie King
That would be the opening if the makers of Terminator Gensys made FF7. Just spoil everything before even playing the game :P

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
That would be the opening if the makers of Terminator Gensys made FF7. Just spoil everything before even playing the game :P
It could be arranged in a spoiler-free manner. Have Cloud less catatonic when he meets Tifa, and have him mention he "deserted" Shinra without further details. Someone can be found starving and sick in a ditch without presuming a case of mako-poisoning or Jenova-ification :P
Also: the Zack and Cloud in the truck image was to refer to a concept, not something which should be shown at that point in the game. For that matter Cloud doesn't even remember Zack in the beginning of the story.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Cloud gets up as soon as Tifa addresses him, poses, swings his sword around and is generally fine. Tifa convinced him to stay aroun because she worried, in no version of the story did she nurse him back to health. Just skip the initial scene and you don't spoil anything.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
On top of hinting at too much, you'd lose the book-ends effect of starting with Aerith looking at the mako leak on the upper plate and ending with Aerith praying in the lifestream, followed by the epilogue. I think the scene where Tifa finds Cloud is best left as a flashback when we finally hear about the doubts she's been having all that time.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
On top of hinting at too much, you'd lose the book-ends effect of starting with Aerith looking at the mako leak on the upper plate and ending with Aerith praying in the lifestream, followed by the epilogue.
Actually, I precisely thought of the book-end effect you mentioned by starting the game with Aerith's prayer (the one corresponding to the moment of Zack's death, instead of the one from the OG). I agree it is an important aspect worth keeping.

Lex

Administrator
I'm not sure what I want from the book-end effect thing. On the one hand, to this day when I'm doing a playthrough the way the game ends with Aerith's face makes me tear up. I am jaded to fuck with FFVII, but even now it gets an emotional kick out of me every time I see it when I finish playing.

On the other, I just don't know how that's going to work now that the Compilation exists. I wouldn't particularly mind if the Compilation never existed even though I got enjoyment out of nearly all of the titles, but I think if they perfectly recreated the original ending it would be weird. Even though it's something I'd love to see. I'm very Disc 1 Cloud about this issue.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Well, they could add to the epilogue. Have something post-compilation but before the 500 years later thing.

Top Bottom