• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

This Game Could Piss Off A Lot Of People

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
Since Square-Enix is only calling it "Final Fantasy VII Remake", I'm seeing more and more people thinking this is going to be a full remake. And that could end up backfiring big on Square-Enix.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I honestly think they will update it like an MMO. The "base game" is just FF7 remake, but the next chapter post midgar will be a subtitle. What that title will be will depend on how they split the remaining sections.....

If it were up to me (and it isn't but its in my head this way until SE says otherwise), I'd have it be Eastern Continent, Western Continent, Northern Continent, Crisis, then Finale.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I think they're just gonna simply call the game "Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode 1" and then the next game "Episode 2", "Episode 3", ect, to make things easier and less complicated without giving the impression of it being a sequel to the OG.

People love to complain.

The way I see it now is like this: SE have made a fanfiction of their own favourite game. People should just accept it for whatever it is, or isn't, or turns out to be. Bring a fan of this game often feels like being a football fan: everybody thinks they could do a better job than the manager. Everybody would choose a different line-up or play a different formation. But at the end of the day, the manager has to do his job, and the game we get is his best effort to do his job right.

Also... people will still buy it no matter how pissed off with SE they are. Just like fans still go to games even while they're calling for the manager to be sacked.

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
?
??
???
????
???
??
?

Thank you...for stating the obvious? I mean, we knew about this 4 years ago and are aware that it could fail epically.

We didn't know they would call the first part just "FFVII Remake" though(without a "Part 1" attached to it). And I'm already seeing confusion because of that. It's very misleading, and could blow up on Square's face.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
We didn't know they would call the first part just "FFVII Remake" though(without a "Part 1" attached to it). And I'm already seeing confusion because of that. It's very misleading, and could blow up on Square's face.

Well, the first part is nine months away and we've only seen parts of the game so far. They might change the title slightly by adding "Episode 1" or something during that time while they finish off the rest of it and begin on working on the rest of the game.

In the DLC of their other previous games like FFXV and even in the On the Way to a Smile Book, they simply named each of those Episodes of names of characters who had starring roles.

For example: FFXV: Episode Gladiolus, Episode Prompto, Episode Ignis and recently Episode Ardyn. Same with the first FFVII book that came out last year: Episode Denzel, Episode Tifa, Episode Barret, Episode Yuffie, Episode Nanaki and Episode ShinRa.

So until we know for sure, I think Square Enix will at least call each Remake parts Episodes or Parts depending on what they do. Nine months is a long time.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
People love to complain.

The way I see it now is like this: SE have made a fanfiction of their own favourite game. People should just accept it for whatever it is, or isn't, or turns out to be. Bring a fan of this game often feels like being a football fan: everybody thinks they could do a better job than the manager. Everybody would choose a different line-up or play a different formation. But at the end of the day, the manager has to do his job, and the game we get is his best effort to do his job right.

Also... people will still buy it no matter how pissed off with SE they are. Just like fans still go to games even while they're calling for the manager to be sacked.
Can I like this message more than once?

Every fan has his/her own fantasy of "what the perfect remake should be like". And they're all different. WHATEVER the creators do, and even if they deliver what I could consider the most perfectly amazing experience ever, someone else WILL NOT like it.
Statistics 101.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
There has been speculation since 2015 that a whole VII remake would be broken down to parts. Recent E3 interviews have just revealed that the beginning section of Midgar is so huge that it's going to be 2 discs long, and that there's going to be multiple parts.

If anyone has more than 2 functioning braincells and understands the scale of VII and how it's going to translated with today's modern technology, they know that there's really no way to tell all of FFVII in just 2 discs, so it's really not misleading at all.

What would be misleading is if they advertised all of the Remake on 2 discs, but everything after Midgar was all stick figures and T-poses and shitty audio.

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
There has been speculation since 2015 that a whole VII remake would be broken down to parts. Recent E3 interviews have just revealed that the beginning section of Midgar is so huge that it's going to be 2 discs long, and that there's going to be multiple parts.

If anyone has more than 2 functioning braincells and understands the scale of VII and how it's going to translated with today's modern technology, they know that there's really no way to tell all of FFVII in just 2 discs, so it's really not misleading at all.

What would be misleading is if they advertised all of the Remake on 2 discs, but everything after Midgar was all stick figures and T-poses and shitty audio.

You would be surprised how many people believe Square could make it all in a single game, but decided to milk it for the money.

And yes, naming the first part as if it's the whole thing, IS misleading.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
That is a good point. But until we know for sure, I don't think they'll just simply let the first part just have the title that it has now without revealing the actual number of how many parts/episodes this remake will have.

What really surprised me was that the first part is so big that it has to be on two discs. I seriously thought each part of the game would be a full game on a single disc since FFX.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Well, I haven't seen anybody delusional enough to think that all of VII would be remade on 2 discs, least of all here. There's certainly people who hopefully wish that all of the Remake would be 1 game, but even they know that it's not possible.

And given that most of the Remake material shown thus far only features Midgar, I don't know how people would immediately come to the conclusion that the remake is going to be the entirety of VII, when recent E3 interviews have said that the first part of the game will end with the escape from Midgar. It's not misleading when you logically think about it.

The only people who probably think that all of VII will be remade in one go are people who are brand new to FF and know absolutely NOTHING about VII, and to be honest, that's not a lot of people in this day and age, given that VII is nearly 23 years old.

Bottom line is this: Any FFVII fan who are waiting for this Remake isn't delusional enough to think that 2 discs is going to be a full Remake, when it was confirmed that part 1 ends with the escape from Midgar. People who think otherwise and are trying to fool themselves into thinking it's the whole game is probably, very new to FF or has been living under a rock for the past 4 years and steadfastly ignoring all news about FF.

Last edited:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Since the whole "episodic" controversy, I thought they should have advertised it like Star Wars episodes, then everybody would have understood the scale what they wanted to achieve for the game. And that brings me to my proposal for the title:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE
-EPISODE I-
CITY OF MAKO​
followed by a scrolling wall of text

Last edited:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I'm not the biggest fan of the naming either, but to Square's credit they have now stated multiple times that the game we're getting in March is all Midgar, and marketing closer to launch will probably hammer that point home fairly heavily. I'm guessing they didn't give it a subtitle or call it "Part 1" simply because they don't want to give the impression that it's not a standalone game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thank you...for stating the obvious? I mean, we knew about this 4 years ago and are aware that it could fail epically.

Well, I haven't seen anybody delusional enough to think that all of VII would be remade on 2 discs, least of all here. There's certainly people who hopefully wish that all of the Remake would be 1 game, but even they know that it's not possible.

(Mostly just quoted all these back to back so that you could see how unnecessarily aggressive it looks coming into this thread after the fact.)

Anyway: The lack of subtitle is stupid, and yes, confusing for plenty of people even if not misleading by the strictest measure. I have personally seen plenty of people confused about it.

Trainer Red said:
The only people who probably think that all of VII will be remade in one go are people who are brand new to FF and know absolutely NOTHING about VII, and to be honest, that's not a lot of people in this day and age, given that VII is nearly 23 years old.

Bottom line is this: Any FFVII fan who are waiting for this Remake isn't delusional enough to think that 2 discs is going to be a full Remake, when it was confirmed that part 1 ends with the escape from Midgar. People who think otherwise and are trying to fool themselves into thinking it's the whole game is probably, very new to FF or has been living under a rock for the past 4 years and steadfastly ignoring all news about FF.
I'll grant you that I've not been sitting in on Square executives' meetings, but I would wager they're just as interested in gamers who have never played FFVII (or any FF) as they are in elite multi-brain-celled FFVII fans of yesteryear.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Is anybody really bothered what comes after the words final fantasy vii? I thought FFXV should have been called ‘The Hangover part 4: no weddings and a funeral’ but it wasn’t. Didn’t loose any sleep over it.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
(Mostly just quoted all these back to back so that you could see how unnecessarily aggressive it looks coming into this thread after the fact.)

Anyway: The lack of subtitle is stupid, and yes, confusing for plenty of people even if not misleading by the strictest measure. I have personally seen plenty of people confused about it.
I guess I was being aggressive. Sorry, @OWA-2 , for my rude behavior. It just felt like your topic title was very clickbaity and all.

It's just difficult for me to believe that people would think that a full remake of VII would happen in less than 5 years, given the scale of VII, past statements from SE prior to 2015 about how a full remake would a massive undertaking, and that it has been stated since 2015 that there's going to be multiple parts release because a full remake would take more than one installment.
But now I can see why some people would think that it's a full remake in one release, if they're new, or haven't been up to date on the news, etc.

But about the Remake being misleading because it's going to be multiple parts -- Who knows what the marketing will say, when we get closer to the release date? It'll probably change to include part 1 at some point, to drum up even more interest in parts 2 and beyond.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Since the whole "episodic" controversy, I thought they should have advertised it like Star Wars episodes, then everybody would have understood the scale what they wanted to achieve for the game. And that brings me to my proposal for the title:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE
-EPISODE I-
CITY OF MAKO​
followed by a scrolling wall of text

I wouldn't panic about the first part not having an episode title to avoid confusion just yet. Square Enix has to finish up the rest of the bits and pieces with it first before the actual release itself regardless to the release date, assuming if it won't be delayed. They might even add it and show it off at this year's TGS or even the Jump Festa Event at the end of the year as well as other trailers at the same time.

And they could even call the first part of the game of your proposed title which sounds great and makes sense at the same time.

Top Bottom