• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Thor [Marvel]

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Who else is reading this?

Jason Aaron continues his excellent writing with Thor in this new series penciled by Russell Dauterman, who is turning in work every bit as good as Esad Ribic's excellent contribution to Aaron's previous "Thor: God of Thunder" series.

For a new series largely sold on the premise of a mysterious woman inheriting Thor's hammer, and, consequently, the better portion of his power, though, the first issue failed to feature her beyond a cameo at the very end -- even if it did do a good job of setting up this new story arc and showing us why this new Thor is needed.

With issue #2, however, Thor Odinson takes the backseat (the trunk, really; other than his severed arm, he doesn't even appear here) and we're given some much-needed time to get to know (and like!) this new Thor even though we still don't know who she is under that helmet (my money's on Roz Solomon -- there's really no one else it could be).

She's fun to read about as she learns how to use Thor's powers and asks herself questions about it that a Thor fan likely would if they suddenly came across the hammer and found it deemed them worthy of lifting itself. And if that "I never said I was" line (in response to not being Thor) wasn't written in response to some, shall we say, "fans despondent at this passing of the torch" -- well, I'll eat a hammer.

I can't wait to see where this kinetic, well-paced story goes, and eagerly await the Odinson coming face to face with this new Goddess of Thunder. He will, of course, become worthy to wield the hammer again at some point, possibly during next year's "Secret Wars" (which I cannot begin to stress how excited for I am), but it will be interesting to see how he reacts to another wielding what is essentially a part of him at this point, even as this portion of his own soul rejects him from doing the same.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that this is the only one of the Avengers-people comics that I'm reading, and I have been QUITE enjoying it thus far.

X :neo:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I picked up the first two issues out of curiosity. I was a bit disappointed that the first issue was basically Thor whining the whole time about not being able to lift Mjolnir, but the second issue was pretty fab. This new wielder is pretty funny, actually. I like that Mjolnir makes her speak like an Asgardian, yet her thought bubbles are all in normal speech.

And I have never followed up on Thor that much in the past so I have no idea who this woman could be. I'll have to start reading some past issues.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I picked up the first two issues out of curiosity. I was a bit disappointed that the first issue was basically Thor whining the whole time about not being able to lift Mjolnir, but the second issue was pretty fab. This new wielder is pretty funny, actually. I like that Mjolnir makes her speak like an Asgardian, yet her thought bubbles are all in normal speech.

And I have never followed up on Thor that much in the past so I have no idea who this woman could be. I'll have to start reading some past issues.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who picked this up out of curiosity with no context, and rather enjoyed it. :D

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah, I was worried that I wouldn't know what was what, since the most I know of Thor I've learned in the MCU and the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. But the first issue tells you everything you really need to know. It's pretty much a fresh start for everyone.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah I really don't know why people were so pissy about the new Thor. I mean it's not like they actually turned Thor into a woman. The real Thor is still around and kickin' it, so what if Mjolnir decided to ditch him and a woman happened to pick it up? :closedmonster:

I'm sure the status quo will be righted again one day anyway.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Yeah I really don't know why people were so pissy about the new Thor. I mean it's not like they actually turned Thor into a woman. The real Thor is still around and kickin' it, so what if Mjolnir decided to ditch him and a woman happened to pick it up? :closedmonster:

I'm sure the status quo will be righted again one day anyway.

Because many wish they took a character from Norse mythology instead of again doing a female version of Thor. They already did this a couple of times and now it just seems like a rehash. One character I think the new Thor could be is their version of Jarnsaxa. Jarnsaxa was the jotunn lover of Thor and the mother of his son, Magni. She so far has never appeared in the comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Járnsaxa

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That is not any argument I saw at all. People did not want a woman wielding Mjolnir, period. Even if it was someone who was already a Norse god I think people still would have complained.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
That is not any argument I saw at all. People did not want a woman wielding Mjolnir, period. Even if it was someone who was already a Norse god I think people still would have complained.

Hey, women have wield Mjolnir before like Storm, Wonder Woman (in a crossover), and Rouge.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
While they had a good point to make, they used a bad example. Donald Blake was already Thor. He just didn't know it because Odin made sure he didn't (he was teaching his son humility).

A better example would be the mortal Eric Masterson, for whom the wielding of the hammer is pretty much directly comparable to this female Thor. Masterson was Thor (while Thor Odinson was in exile) for two years in the early 90s. He even had the whole thing with speaking like an Asgsrdian out loud even while his thoughts were more common lingo.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, the conclusion was good and the stinger was well played as well. Still wondering how long this is gonna keep up its mystery identity of Thor, though.

Thor voluntarily giving up his own name was pretty rad, and better than any other option I could think of for making her the REAL Thor. Also, seeing how badass his new arm was in terms of durability was awesome, but I'm still curious as hell about how it stays attached to him and whatnot.

Also- Malaketh is a fantastic and dangerous douche.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, issue #4 was great. Quite ready for the reveal of Roz as the new Thor, though -- 'cause come on, it's obviously her. I just want to be proven right. =P

She really is proving awesome in the role.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
and shutting down all of the stupid arguments directly within the comic itself.

tumblr_njn37fqXtl1qfo4qoo1_540.jpg

tumblr_njn37fqXtl1qfo4qoo2_540.jpg

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It also did that by having Thor (Odinson) reiterate to Odin that his name was not stolen -- he gave it to her. And then there was Freyja mentioning that others have held the hammer before now.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I also, love that Odin is kind of the closed-minded jackass that holds that viewpoint and he's the one that you're clearly not meant to side with. The whole thing is just brilliantly executed. It's one of the best "passing of the mantle" type events that I've seen in a while.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The first story was interesting, and I liked the tone and everything to it, but I felt that its attempt at marrying Norse and Christian mythology was just REALLY weird, so the first half of the comic just talking about the world was my favourite of the whole piece.

The second story (despite my personal dislike for Noelle Stevenson) was ok and was interesting to see Thor and the other Asgardians interacting, but the art seems like it can't quite decide if it's being serious or cartoonish, and doesn't really translate a sense of motion well - especially in the dragon fight, so while looking better than I expected, I often felt confused by it in ways I shouldn't've.

Nothing about the final comic even remotely interested me.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Actually I am going to be one of the few who takes criticism at the new so called Thor. Because many times some of the criticisms leveled at her actually have some sound arguments. Just dismissing them all as misogynistic is kind of close minded.

Not to mention the fact I find it hypocritical saying how progressive they are having with Thor being a woman but they derailed Titania's character by having her not fight female Thor. Even though in the past she has fought with She-Hulk.

I am one of those who wishes they had an actual new character who took up the hammer. Someone from Norse mythology like Jarnsaxa who was Thor's giantess girlfriend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1rnsaxa

I just find female Thor just a lazy rehash of the Thor-Girl instead of something original or brilliant.

Last edited:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Such as...?

I feel she should be her own identity instead of just being given to her. Not to mention the writing really seems to have the subtly of an anvil on the head about the issue.

I wonder if the reverse would be received if a man replaced a well known goddess like Athena and took her name.

I actually like the writing in Ms. Marvel better because it doesn't hammer in about the fact she is a Muslim-Pakistani girl but she is a person who goes to school, has a family life, and learns what it means to be a superhero. Even though I am not Muslim or Pakistani I really find some connection with Kamala that don't with female Thor since her identity is a secret and she just seems to really bore me. Her identity right now is just being a female Thor and it feels kind of flat.

With Kamala its more like her background, heritage, and religion are parts of who she is but not the only part. I love that she is a gamer chick who writers fan fiction, internet searches, plays video games, and admires superheroes. She really feels like an audience surrogate for the people reading.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I feel she should be her own identity instead of just being given to her. Not to mention the writing really seems to have the subtly of an anvil on the head about the issue.

She's the only one who's worthy of holding the Hammer. She wasn't "given" anything, unless you're referring to the fact that while Odinson isn't worthy to wield the power of Thor, he gave up his name to the individual who was.

Having the subtlety of an anvil is all because it's knocking out the stupid arguments the same way that Aquaman did with the New 52 - which I, for one, unabashedly love.

I wonder if the reverse would be received if a man replaced a well known goddess like Athena and took her name.

One - only if their power set came attached to that name and it wasn't TAKEN, but was willingly bestowed upon them because the other person was worthy, and the previous individual wasn't.
Two - No, because there's a fundamental element of institutionalized sexism that makes the reverse not an equal scenario.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
She's the only one who's worthy of holding the Hammer. She wasn't "given" anything, unless you're referring to the fact that while Odinson isn't worthy to wield the power of Thor, he gave up his name to the individual who was.

Having the subtlety of an anvil is all because it's knocking out the stupid arguments the same way that Aquaman did with the New 52 - which I, for one, unabashedly love.

One - only if their power set came attached to that name and it wasn't TAKEN, but was willingly bestowed upon them because the other person was worthy, and the previous individual wasn't.
Two - No, because there's a fundamental element of institutionalized sexism that makes the reverse not an equal scenario.

Another reason is the set up to how it happened in the first place. Mainly because it really seems ham fisted. Also this is another story where Thor loses his powers which has become sort of clichéd at this point.

Top Bottom