• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Thor [Marvel]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Another reason is the set up to how it happened in the first place. Mainly because it really seems ham fisted. Also this is another story where Thor loses his powers which has become sort of clichéd at this point.

Well, to be clear, it seems that way because they still haven't revealed what the thing he heard during Original Sin that caused all of this is, so that's really not fully up for judgement yet until we know what that's all about.

X :neo:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Having the subtlety of an anvil is all because it's knocking out the stupid arguments the same way that Aquaman did with the New 52 - which I, for one, unabashedly love.

It isn't tho. Aquaman dealt with things by throwing out all the unnecessary stuff. no beard, no hookhand, no aquahand, no shirtless chest. He's perfectly badass just that the way he is, golden shirt and green pants and all. That's what worked.

Lady She-Thoretta is a gimmick just like all the things they tried to do with Aquaman in the 90s with varying successes.

And yeah, I think the name Thor, should belong to Thor. And Freya shouldn't be so happy that her son is going around nameless and miserable for the sake of girlpower.

And you know what, it's not helping that this is all made possible by Odin, not just being on the wrong side of things here but outright cowardly, stupid, naive and having lost complete control of his magic abilities and the wisdom he gave up his eye to attain.

In a storyarc that revisits what makes one worthy of Mjolnir is that really the best way to handle the one who enchanted the hammer in the first place?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It isn't tho. Aquaman dealt with things by throwing out all the unnecessary stuff. no beard, no hookhand, no aquahand, no shirtless chest. He's perfectly badass just that the way he is, golden shirt and green pants and all. That's what worked.

You have completely missed the analogy that I was making to the New 52 Aquaman.

I was referring to all of the, "Aquaman's a joke" "You can't eat fish because you talk to them" "You're useless out of water" etc. things that are popularly bandied around on the internet about why he's stupid that were directly addressed by Aquaman to individuals within the comic the same way that Thor addressed the internet criticisms directly to someone in the comics making the same claims.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Could you provide examples of how Aquaman addressed these in comic?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
In reaction to Aquaman, the first half, with the actually showing and not telling, was well done, but the bit in the diner was way too on the nose. Likewise, the first page with absorbing man felt really forced.
Titania's page was better done, though she seemed to misunderstand the situation as "Odinson is now a woman" rather than "The mantle has been taken up by this new woman."

But in short, the parts where the comic dialogue started meta-responding to the real world directly didn't work in Aquaman's book either, and I like Aquaman a lot of the time.

As a counterpoint to how to do this very well, when Rhodey switched actors, there was a huge furor about it, and they put a "Deal with it" into the movie, but in the context of the movie it was something else entirely. If the meta-criticism was worked more naturally into something else, it would be just as pointed, and probably more effective.

I don't think either case is wrong for wanting to address detractors, but I don't think either case did it well by having the text and the meta-text be the same.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, issue #4 was great. Quite ready for the reveal of Roz as the new Thor, though -- 'cause come on, it's obviously her. I just want to be proven right. =P

She really is proving awesome in the role.

No, you're totally right. They finally confirmed it in all ways aside from directly showing her face this issue. :awesomonster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Just read #5. This issue took lots of jabs at fanboy wank and it was glorious.

I also picked up the Thor annual. It had some fun stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing
Mephisto get drank under the table. :P
Also, the story where the new Thor hangs out with the old Thor's friends had really gorgeous artwork.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
So, seriously, keep it simple: "I just don't like it" is a valid reason not to like something. You don't need a dissertation that could double as a graduate thesis.
Okay, I like this sentiment, but seriously... since when in this age of PC has not liking something just because you don't like it ever been seen as a good reason not to like something? I mean, I can say this about a lot of things. I'm never going to though with it though because that never satisfies people. And when I can't come up with a good reason for my indifference, everyone assumes that I'm hiding a non-PC reason for not liking it, and I'm just too polite to say it...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think that he means it's just not your cup of tea, and that's fine.

For example, Bitch Planet is badass for a whole bunch of reasons, and I've had it recommended to me by several people, and I can see the appeal that it has and why people like it, but I just don't enjoy the comic -- and that's totally ok.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Same for me with "The Walking Dead."

I'm going to steal that "cup of tea" wording now and edit it into the article, X. Thanks. =P

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
You're welcome, Tres! Glad that I could contribute a little phrase that more closely encapsulates what you were going for! :monster:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
…link? Because I'm pretty sure that they went over that possibility in the comics already and Odinson had eliminated it
'cause she's dying of cancer is Asgard, and isn't accepting their magical medical treatment because stubborn science mumbo jumbo bullshit. Also, if that's the case, what's up with Roz?
That seems like a weird way to make a red herring, too.

Top Bottom