Thoughts on Continuing FFVI?

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
Final Fantasy VI has never been particularly close to my heart. I don't dislike the game, but it was never one of my favorites. However, I do believe there is a lot of untapped storyline potential, & that if Square ever wanted to do a 3rd thing like the Compilation or the Ivalice Alliance, they should really look there, first. So, with that in mind, I decided to start this topic about ideas for expansions on the FFVI story:

The idea I came up with basically at random earlier is basically a game made up of 4 separate, smaller games. Each character has a story that focuses on a particular part of the overarching storyline.

Terra
>Terra's story would take place soon after FFVI.
>Her role would be a lot like Yuna in X-2, in that she would ease unrest in people following Kefka's downfall.
>The main plot would be eliminating the remaining cultists who are trying to revive Kefka.
>The party would be the original cast returning.

Celes
>Celes's story would take place during her training as a Magitek Elite.
>The focus would be on the Empire's building power.
>It would end with Celes being tasked with catching a rogue Esper. That, along with some other things, would start Celes's distrust in the Empire.
>The party would be the other Magitek generals; Leo, Terra, & Kefka.

Gestahl
>Gestahl's story would focus on him beginning the Empire.
>It would also show Kefka's background.
>It would end with the invasion of the Esper world & the final battle would be with Maduin. Then there would be a final scene, which transitions into Celes's story.
>There would be no party. The game would be a solo thing with Gestahl.

Kefka
>This would focus on him learning to control his newfound powers in the World of Ruin, as well as taking it over.
>The final fight would be with Banon & the final scene would be his defeat at the hands of the party.
>The story would focus on Kefka's thoughts & motivations throughout the original game.
>Not wanting to do another solo thing, I figure the party would be the controlled Warring Triad or other monsters. Possibly something akin to Tactics or the international version of X-2.

I figure this would offer a closed ending. After that, Square would be able to choose between leaving it at that, like with X-2, or starting a new story, like with the Compilation.

So, any other thoughts on this subject?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Two things with this.

1. One, I always saw FFVI's plot as one of the only FF with a true ending. That is, its one of the only Final Fantasies where its ending doesn't really leave any room for sequels, and their story is really over, and everyone lives happily ever after. I've always heard people stating they'd like a sequel, or writing one themselves, but I never thought a sequel would fit.

2. Two, a lot of background history and timeline information is already detailed in FFVI's Ultimania-like book. Any sort of prequel would have to be consistent with that.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Can't say I like the idea of Terra going around the world trying to soothe the uneasy people of the world -- I think that that would be kinda contradictory to the life Terra always wanted and the life she made for herself with her orphans. I'm not really sure how to put it to word, but I feel that it wouldn't really fit Terra, you know?

Though I can't say no to the idea of some kind of sequel where Shadow lives...

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
I feel that the idea is not contradictory to Terra settling down with the orphans. The timeline I'm thinking of for her story is a month or two at most. Mostly, the motivation would be that you can't really settle down while everyone's in a state of panic & some cult is going around ruining everyone's day. She also might be worried about her other friends.

As for FFVI, my problem with the backstory is that it's "all in the book." I don't feel that it needs many changes done to it, but we could, y'know, SEE it. As for the ending, it is FAIRLY closed, but it does leave a lot more room than it might initially seem. There's a vaccuum of power left behind by the empire falling, there are all of the territories it subjugated, and, my big thing, how exactly the party managed to defeat the God of Magic with...magic.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
how exactly the party managed to defeat the God of Magic with...magic.

I remember you asking this before, but I suppose it doesn't make any sense if you're thinking about it in strictly RPG terms. As in, you would think that someone being the master of a certain power would make him immune to it, like Ifrit is to fire, but in many real world mythologies, gods can and a lot of times are defeated by the very kind of power that they wield.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Yes, but in the context of the game, Kefka is seen negating magic he is attacked by. Therefore, it makes no sense that he could be brought down by magic, or indeed at all unless there was something else interfering. The villain reaching a point where they're so powerful that some kind of weakness must be exploited to bring them down is actually an idea that is seen again & again in the series. Garland has to be stopped by killing the Fiends & Chaos in the past, the Warriors of Dark have to sacrifice themselves to weaken the Cloud of Darkness, Exdeath ends up succumbing to his own powers, Sephiroth falls due to his own arrogance, etc.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Kefka is seen negating magic he is attacked by. Therefore, it makes no sense that he could be brought down by magic, or indeed at all unless there was something else interfering.

Maybe the magic power of Terra and co was more powerful than the power Gesthal commanded, I don't know. I mean, I guess maybe one shouldn't think of it in strictly A/B terms?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Kefka derived much of his power from the three goddesses. It's worth noting that they'd been defeated once before, so they obviously weren't all-powerful.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I thought they just sealed themselves up. I don't think they've ever been defeated traditionally.

They were killed by the heroes. But then again, when they were killed, they were merely shells of their former selves, since Kefka sucked the magic out of them for themselves.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Personally, I just do not see Terra in a 'Yuna-in-X-2' role. I mean, you had to basically get her to realize that the good guys still need her help to even get her to leave those kids behind. Celes or Locke, possibly, but just not Terra. She already has a purpose, and that purpose is to keep those orphans safe and happy.

Though I also don't know how I feel about Celes in a world forgiveness tour, since she's pretty much the last of the Empire, even if she did join the returners. I guess I'm just satisfied enough with the original ending to want any more. :monster:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
>The main plot would be eliminating the remaining cultists who are trying to revive Kefka.

I don't think that this would be possible. After Kefka's demise, all magic disappeared from the world, so the cultists wouldn't be albe to use any spell to ressurect Kefka.

Without magic, the cultists maybe could revive Kefka using mechanical parts to replace missing limbs and such, but his body was disintegrated after Kefka's defeat, so this wouldn't be possible too.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Final Fantasy VI: Return of Robo Kefka

ixy0io.jpg

Evil just got an upgrade..

1/3 Man..1/3 Nanomachines...1/3 God...All insane...

Square, MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN, NOW.

Last edited:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Ⓐaron;212819 said:
They did? I could swear they had to be forced away. Then again it's been couple years since I played the game.

Yeah, they mutually agreed to seal themselves up after all three of them got sick of the War.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Final Fantasy VI: Return of Robo Kefka

ixy0io.jpg

Evil just got an upgrade..

1/3 Man..1/3 Nanomachines...1/3 God...All insane...

Square, MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN, NOW.

Ohhhh I can't wait it's so exciting!

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
I think FF6 needs to be taken in context of its original release to feel just how good it is, but I agree completely that the story was lacking somewhat (and I think 6 is oberhyped even more than my beloved 7) compared to say 7,8,9,10. However, its gameplay was brilliant, OST excellent and its story was good enough back then.

Give me another with those graphics over 12/13 anyday ;)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I think VI's relatively simple, yet extremely poignant (Celes suicide, Opera scene, etc) narrative does the job very well and definitely one of the reasons why it's so acclaimed.

Also, as awesome as the other FF's are for their own reasons, FFVI is classy as fuck. In terms of style, atmosphere, and aesthetic, FFVI is swagger overload.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
FFVI is the one FF game that is like a fantasy opera.

And yes, I felt that way before the opera scene.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
The problem here is that Terra loved taking care of the orphan children and don't think she would enjoy traveling the world X-2 Yuna style, leaving the young orphans behind. Yuna was young and she had a reason to enjoy her freedom but if you compare that to Terra's story it seems almost selfish and not quite right..

Though it would be cool seeing Terra fall in love with somebody for real, whether it's a jealous type of love with Locke and she can't have the love in return, or with Edgar or Sabin and also would like to see how the Locke x Celes pair is doing after the final battle with Kefka, it would be interesting to see if SE puts it's pairings into a "happy ever after " respective, or have a break up or divorce.

On the subject of Robo Kefka, wants for the lulz. :lol:

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Oh, I never said they would SUCCEED in reviving Kefka, just that they would be attempting it. I figure that Kefka having his own story mode would be enough of an appearance for him.

As for Terra, like I said, I figure she would feel that Mobliz was threatened by all of the unrest, but this really is an opinion sort of topic. Anyway, I think the orphans were who she fell in love with. It's a partial-subversion because we usually think of love in the romantic sense. I say, "partial," because I feel they forced Terra into the mother role. But that's just me.

Ironically, the one storyline I'm not sure was a good idea was one of the ones nobody commented on: Kefka's. I'm unsure of the gameplay I came up with, mostly. I do like the idea that it would explain what happened to Banon in the form of an epic [fail] showdown, though.

Speaking of Kefka, the whole "how he's beaten" thing...you can come up with all sorts of ideas. Personally, I think he was half-assing it because his whole "life is pointless" thing probably extended to his own. But I really won't be satisfied until I get a direct, plausible answer. As for his powers, I feel they're pretty well-defined. We know he's not all-powerful & we know that his abilities extend approximately to controlling all of that world's magic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom