• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Three Reasons Why There Shouldn’t Be a Final Fantasy VII Remake

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Thanks. As an addendum: I pointed out that the Master's Thesis was written in 2003 - before any Compilation entries came out. I think that the presence of sequels alone hurt FFVII in the literature world - nobody praises The Great Gatsby as "so great they made 10 sequels." It's getting harder and harder to take this game seriously, and a remake would be the last nail on the coffin.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
Does anyone here have any faith that SE will not screw up a remake?

Shouldn't we at least give them a change?

I mean, so what if they mess up the remake? We'll still the the original game to go back to if it sucks.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Does anyone here have any faith that SE will not screw up a remake?

Shouldn't we at least give them a change?

I mean, so what if they mess up the remake? We'll still the the original game to go back to if it sucks.

How about..I give them a chance once they prove they can make a next gen game of actual breadth and quality.

I want a remake but at the same time I don't. If the Compilation of FFVII and FFXIII are any indication of the scope, effort, and ability they'd utilize for an all out remake of FFVII, then I'm honestly not too enthused right now. They better step up their game, because its rather sad I'd see FFVII's remake doing better in the hands of an outside Western developer than the actual source of the series itself. Square's been cutting corners too much lately, for my taste.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
I don't need a remake. I think it's fine as-is. The only thing that I would be okay with them changing are the graphics. If they go and mess around with the battle system and other aspects, I think they'll ruin it. Well, they've already milked the hell out of the game with the compilation, so it's been ruined already. They might as well take it for all it's worth.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't need a remake. I think it's fine as-is. The only thing that I would be okay with them changing are the graphics. If they go and mess around with the battle system and other aspects, I think they'll ruin it. Well, they've already milked the hell out of the game with the compilation, so it's been ruined already. They might as well take it for all it's worth.

How can an entirely different game released 10 years later, ruin an already created game from the past? Sense, you're not making it.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Square-Enix and remakes and sequels? Hmm...

On the one hand, FF4 DS...

On the other hand, FF4 The After Years...

In other news, I am honestly stunned at how many people don't want a remake for the very, very flimsy excuse "it wouldn't be the same." That is a horrible excuse and deep down you know it Its about on the same level as the cry "they're raping my childhood."

Look at FF4 DS, did they "ruin" the original version of the game? No - they expanded on the battle system and story, gave new depth to the characters, ramped up the difficulty and expanded the world of FF4 in every way, and it was *awesome*.

FF7 is not this holy grail of gaming goodness that must be protected, lest the hand of Man taint it forever. And frankly, I have very little respect for people who think that. It was an awesome game yes, for sure, but that hardly means that a remake about it "won't be the same." Agreed - if they do it properly like FF4 DS, it'll be BETTER!

I know I'll get flamed for the following, but bring it on - FF7 was FAR from perfect. I consider FF6 the best game in the series, but perfect? No. Unexplored side characters, linear as hell for the first half, a broken-ass battle system and unbalanced character growth. FF6 was great but flawed, and so was FF7. An easy battle system, a lousy villain, and once you left Midgar the plot degenerated into "let's follow Sephiroth!" for no real reason. A remake won't fix these flaws, not unless they totally rewrite the game, but it can improve the game nonetheless.

Maybe I'm afraid that a remake will expose Final Fantasy VII for what it really is - a garbled mess of a story with weak characters and boring, hamfisted themes about life and the environment.

Also this. Exactly this.

Last edited:

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Personally I'd rather see a film version of the game. They've proven they're capable of stunning graphics in this area, and it would completely solidify what 'canon' is... But that''s probably just me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Personally I'd rather see a film version of the game. They've proven they're capable of stunning graphics in this area, and it would completely solidify what 'canon' is... But that''s probably just me.

Fuck you whore

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
We've already discussed that Batman, you need a copy of the Mona Lisa. I assume that deal is still up for grabs?

I had worked briefly on a movie adaptation of FF7 at CxA...didn't go too well, what little I'd finished.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I think dacon called me "cancer" for saying this earlier, but the remake would give us a pretty gorgeous screenshots and I would really, really enjoy running around familiar locations in lucious 3-Dimensions.

But as was said earlier, SE likes to cut corners. If Crisis Core's bland-as-hell slums is any indication of the quality of the remake, it's going to be another disappointment.

The problem is that instead of just being a disappointment, it will bury the worthy game underneath its fat, flashy ass. My issue isn't that it's going to ruin the original game, I don't think Planet of the Apes was ruined by the remake. My issue is that (unlike Apes) it will change how FFVII is seen by the world, and if they make it like every other Squeenix game, it's not going to help.

It's especially not going to help people like me who spend a great deal of time fighting Roger Ebert's state-of-mind, using the Original Game as one of our flagships.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves

If your sig is going to be in the movie then sure :joy:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
If they were to make a remake, I'd like it to be a Squaresoft game, not a SquareEnix one.

I am perfectly aware Squaresoft doesn't exist anymore per se, but I believe you know what I mean.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not even with Mako's dick.

k3re5s.jpg

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
These forums are famous for three things: the cookie monster, being off topic, and for sexualizing everything. It's hilarious. :lol:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
These forums are famous for three things: the cookie monster, being off topic, and for sexualizing everything. It's hilarious. :lol:

Sexualizing is common practice in modern society nowadays, has nothing to do with these forums. Sure, we've got perverted twelve year olds, but is that so odd? :awesome:

Top Bottom