• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

[Tie-Breaker] 7 Best Moments From [Insert Character] In VII Remake

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The community event saw nominations fielded for best character moments within the VII Remake. Those nominations were then ranked, in order to provide us with our Top 7 moments per category - Cloud, Barret, Aerith, Tifa and Other characters.

With the scoring tallied up, we have one final piece of paperwork to finish up as we enter a TIE-BREAKER scenario!

THE RULES
  • You have ONE vote per tie-breaker scenario
  • Present your vote for which character moment you preferred the most
  • In the spirit of fun, feel free to argue your case for which character moment deserves a higher spot (or indeed, even a spot itself!) in the rankings!
  • Voting will last the customary week time-frame. So voting will end on Sunday 24th May at 17:30 GMT

-------

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #1 - CLOUD

Please vote for which one of these Cloud character moments deserves to be higher.

(A) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge

vs

(B) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 - TIFA

Please vote for which one of these Tifa character moments deserves to be higher. For full transparency (as this may influence your vote) please note that the least voted moment in this tie-breaker will see it relegated out of the rankings, and so, will not be featured within the video! Choose wisely!

(A) Relationship with Marle

vs

(B) The Chun-Li dress

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #3 - OTHER

Please vote for which one of these Other character moments deserves to be higher.

(A) Red XIII - trying to smile

vs

(B) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #4 - OTHER

Please vote for which one of these Other character moments deserves to be higher. For full transparency (as this may influence your vote) please note that the least voted moment in this tie-breaker will see it relegated out of the rankings, and so, will not be featured within the video! Choose wisely!

(A) Biggs - his death scene

vs

(B) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection

-------

CLAYMORE'S VOTES

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #1 - CLOUD (A)

As much as I loved how incredibly awkward and hilarious the hand-massage aftermath was, Cloud showed just how much he was beginning to bond and care about the Avalanche trio with this out of nowhere line about being sorry about Wedge's ass, lol.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 - TIFA (A)

The Chun-Li dress was cute, but it doesn't deserve a spot in the video above seeing Tifa's relationship with Marle in the slums. That was a much better character moment for me.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #3 - OTHER (A)

Red XIII's smile for sure. Loved it!

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #4 - OTHER (A)

Now this was tough! Both were amazing scenes in their own right and both really deserve to be featured within the video. After some thinking, I simply have to go with Biggs' death. Sorry Hojo. Even though that was creepy as hell, Biggs' death at the pillar, and Cloud's reaction, was so incredibly moving.

This tie-breaker is certainly going to be interesting to see play out...

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think my biases are apparent enough at this point. Wedge is like, the best, and his bonding with Cloud was some of the best material in the game. Also its just a funny line.

Along with what Claymore said, I just don't like the sporty dress very much. It's tacky (then, aren't they all?) Tifa's relationship with Marle is much more interesting, and says a lot about her character.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #3 - OTHER (B)
Red XIII has enough representation as is I think (doesn't he have like 3 scenes contending?) so I think Marlene deserves a shot too.

You know why. This is hard though, I really like that Hojo scene too. I hope both make it to the video! nope

Last edited:

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #1 – CLOUD (A) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge

Ditto on Cloud opening up to the others.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 – TIFA (A) Relationship with Marle

I did put the Chun-Li dress above Marle but on reflection I'm gonna go with her relationship with Marle. I always wanted to see what happened to Tifa after Nibelheim and for now this is the closest I'll get to that.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #3 – OTHER (B) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith

I was gonna vote for Red XIII 'cus he is my favourite team character and all but Ody made a really good point about him having a lot of other scenes. Thanks Ody :mon:

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #4 – OTHER (B) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection

I voted this scene highly for Aerith. Plus I've never been a fan of death scene speeches. In fact it's the trope I hate the most, sorry Biggs. If it had been one of his other scenes I would have been tempted to select that one, oh well :P

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
You know why. This is hard though, I really like that Hojo scene too. I hope both make it to the video!

Unfortunately, they won't. It's why I made sure to add that stipulation into the info in order for everyone to make a more informed voting choice. The least voted moment in that tie-breaker will not make it into the video. It's at the cut-off point I'm afraid.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
Well, this one's easier than the other one (it's so hard to choose and rank) so I'll give my input here:

I live for the innuendos.

Sporty dress is my least favorite of the choices.

Doggo trying to smile. What's not to love?

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #4 - OTHER (B)
This one's a tough one. They're both good scenes, but I'll choose the Hojo one because I liked how Aerith was trying to stay calm and collected through it all. Love that showcase of her inner strength.

I swear if I found there was even a tie for best Cait Sith moment, I would've lost my shit. Whew!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Unfortunately, they won't. It's why I made sure to add that stipulation into the info in order for everyone to make a more informed voting choice. The least voted moment in that tie-breaker will not make it into the video. It's at the cut-off point I'm afraid.
I should really stop skimming over the rules :mon:

Ah well, I'm fine with either scene making it, they're both some of the best in the game.

Vortigern

Pro Adventurer
As much as I enjoyed Cloud's hilarious and much needed relief at the skilled hands of Madam M, I do have to go with that bonding moment with Wedge as it is one of the few times Cloud drops his cold exterior with Avalanche. A part of me also hopes that deep down it provided Wedge a bit of a self-esteem boost that led to his actions in later events in the game.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 - TIFA (B)
This one was rather tough for me as I adore the new character of Marle and her role in Tifa's life and advice and criticism given to Cloud. That said, I like to read between the lines with regards to the dress as if you chose the Sporty option in her room, it comes off as though not to expect anything all that much different than what you would typically see her wear or feel comfortable in. Assuming she had an alternative purpose for the outfit before she made use of it for the Corneo mission, I feel like its a sign of how much Tifa is subliminally aiming to get Cloud's attention. I never would have expected an outfit like -that- for something that isn't all that much different then what she usually wears (and its also my favorite of the three, sue me).

Red's direct response to Barret's request is hilarious but I have to go with Marlene's interaction with Aerith. That whole sequence was both heartwarming and heartbreaking, seeing Marlene's response to the reality of losing the only home she has ever known.

Not that we didn't already know how creepy Hojo was from the original game given his intention for inter-species' breeding and self-experimenting on himself in his final stand as he becomes a horrific monstrosity, but seeing his zest and zeal in a way never seen before was something else. It really establishes how much he will become a character to loathe when he dropped his cool exterior as he pressed himself against the containment unit and went into excruciating detail on what befell Ifalna's remains.

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I cannot choose for Cloud, it's too hard. :monster:

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 - (A)

The Chun-Li dress was my least favorite dress, but I really liked her friendship with Marle.

Doggo!

The "down to the cellular level" was so damn creepy and perfect for Hojo. They could not have portrayed his villainy better imho.

Sorry Biggs: I like you, but dying soliloquies aren't really my thing. :monster:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #1 - CLOUD (B)

As great as the ass line is, the hand massage reaction goes that extra step by having some gameplay in it. Controlling Aerith as she follows after an unresponsive Cloud is a great touch.

Marle is one of my favourite new characters, and I prefer the exotic dress anyway. Easy call for me.

Since both of these moments will be included, I have to give my vote to the smile (that damned smile). Ignoring my bias to Red, I like this moment because it really feels like a "Remake moment." This is the first time we've really seen Red and Barret interact, and its all based on facial expressions which obviously wasn't an option with the OG. Not to mention Red pouts like a teenager after which is great.

Since I'm not a fan of death speeches as a general rule, I gotta give it to Hojo.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
VOTE: (A) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge

Wedge is a good judge of character and just want Cloud to have some quality time with his cats. Wedge is the best.

VOTE: (A) Relationship with Marle

Tifa looks stunning in any dress, but Marle is a great NPC and as others said already, their relationship adds a little backstory regarding Tifa's getting settled in Midgar's slums.

VOTE: (A) Red XIII - trying to smile

Aerith and Marlene's moment was cute, but I'm biased towards my boys. Barret and Red's constant bickering is fun, Red trying to smile like a human baring his fangs and Barret's "Maybe a frown suits you more" made me smile.

(A) Biggs - his death scene

Both scenes deserve a place for different reasons, but since it's a video I'd rather see Biggs, the young Charlie Sheen lookalike with serious Han Solo vives, than Creepy Fucker Hojo.
Edit: formatting

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Cloud-B
Tifa-A Character building all the way for me
TB #1-BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB lol
TB #2-A (this was a tough one)

I'm going to make songs for each of the videos, using samples from their themes. If you listen to Nujabes and Uyama Hiroto, that's the kind of genre I make. If you want to use them, you can. If not, it's all good. I'll keep them for the album I'm working on:)

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
Definitely A. It's nice that Cloud cares enough to say something

A, because I don't really consider a dress to be a “moment”

Red has a beautiful smile!

Both were sad moments to me. But Biggs death scene had a bigger emotional impact I think, plus Hojo is just beyond creepy. I did not enjoy that scene at all.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Here are my tie breaker votes

A tough choice, both made me chuckle, but the hand massage was just so ridiculous (in the good way) that it get my pick.

Marle was one of my favorite new characters and I like the other two dresses more than the sporty one.

The smile was just a wonderful moment.

Another tough one but I think I will have to go with the Hojo, as the intense creepiness of the scene made for such a stand out and memorable scene.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

Seeing Cloud's reaction was very adorable

How Tifa took sporty as being something she kinda already had, and then turned it around was very impressive

Marlene's fear for losing the only home in very well carried over here. And it is important to her character that it is established that this IS the only house she knows

I thought Biggs' death was very well done, giving you the option to accept it as Cloud, to characterise him as someone become accustomed to losing comrades in battle and thereafter having Biggs show that he perceived something about Cloud's youthful innocence

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Argh, I missed the first part! Anyway, here are my votes:

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #1 - CLOUD > (B)

I’m sorry about the Wedge line because it was great, but I had no idea what I was getting when I picked the expensive hand-massage and let me just say, it was money well spent

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #2 - TIFA > (A)

I don’t have a particular attachment to the dress, so I’m going with Marle on this one :P

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #3 - OTHER > (B)

This one is so hard! I’ll have to go with Marlene because I really liked that part, but if Red’s adorable smile wins you will not hear me complain.

TIE-BREAKER SCENARIO #4 - OTHER > (B)

I’ll have to go with B because after all is said and done, that scene with Hojo was probably the creepiest part of the Remake, so it deserves some recognition. Plus, Aerith was a badass.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash

I like how this nonetheless capped off an overreaction to a minor injury.

I nominated this one for a reason; it's an homage to the First Lady of Fighting herself, Chun-Li, who became the first playable female character in a fighting game upon her debut in 1991's Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, and is a pioneer among female protagonists in video games, which of course paved the way for the likes of Tifa. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Street Fighter fan, and Chun-Li is among my favorite characters in that particular franchise.

Of course, if anyone's interested, IGN produced a live action Chun-Li vs Tifa fight on YouTube a few years back (with an opportunity for you as the viewer to pick the winner yourself by way of links in the description).

This was a nice contrast to Red XIII's stoic personality.

This shows you how determined Aerith is to deprive Hojo of the satisfaction of seeing her break down at the revelation of the twisted shit he did to her mother's corpse.

Last edited:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Love everyone's reasons for weighing each character moment btw. I low-key am gonna steal some of those points for the video, lol.

I'm going to make songs for each of the videos, using samples from their themes. If you listen to Nujabes and Uyama Hiroto, that's the kind of genre I make. If you want to use them, you can. If not, it's all good. I'll keep them for the album I'm working on:)

That sounds very intriguing! Definitely send them my way!

Xinda

Memento Mori
I'm more of a lurker, and came back after beating FF7R (still lurking, but... we'll see...!). I wanted to vote on the previous thing, got sick, and missed out. So, before I chicken out, let's vote here!

I saw the previous possibilities, and I haven't read to see which scenes ended up here, so... Here we go!

This was super hard in so many ways. Like. I adore my precious cat-protecting-loving Wedge. And I loved Cloud opening up to Wedge -- even more so with everything that happens and the constant ignoring/walking away from/Not Interested he threw at Wedge on the first two (? I forget...) days.

But... that hand massage. It had so many hilarious moments, and seeing Cloud in a situation I never thought I'd see him react in a way that wasn't done by a fan? Come On. Let's not forget as Aerith tries to talk to him and he just can't.

Honestly, I love both scenes. And I wish they weren't fighting each other this way. I don't mind which one gets higher, but man I couldn't help but at least throw a little gil towards the hand massage. (Or a lot for that version).

Without a doubt her relationship with Marle. The "Chun-Li dress" looked so good on her. She was super pretty (not that she isn't already!).

But there was something special about her relationship with Marle. (I know, after the previous vote, it seems a bit inconsistent... Just a bit).

Marle also pulling what she pulled whenever she talked to Cloud about Tifa, and the way he TRIED to take it in so early on? Love it.

Plus, it was nice to see more on "What Tifa Had Been Up To" moments and any relationships she built outside of AVALANCHE directly. (Also, I was so edge-of-my-seat wanting Marle to live, too, so... ) Though
I didn't see her dog in the end...? Unless I missed them?

WHY BREAK MY HEART THIS WAY!? Okay. It was HILARIOUSLY AWESOME to see the smiling attempt. And I felt bad when he was told not to. Heart breaking.

However, Aerith doing her best to get to Seventh Heaven, the way Marlene had those reactions and how quickly the protective nature shown tore at things I love. Even more so with the little addition of how Aerith smelled and somehow having that feel relaxing. ESPECIALLY considering the whole situation also involves Marlene questioning her home and Aerith's attempt at reassuring her was just... :hearteyecat:

As heart-stingfully painful Biggs' death scene was (originally, the whole trio in the OG got me big time - I think it was my first video game death, so it stuck with me), I'm going to have to go with Hojo. If it was Jessie, maybe (?), even though Biggs REALLY pulled at my heart with the orphanage reminder, and Cloud having to deal with all this "personal/new" death but...

Hojo was always a perfect level of creepiness that I feared how it would be captured. And that fear bled out into the perfect scene. And then, of course, Aerith's defiance until she had a moment to at least let a little out? The emotional tug and clench this had with some amusement of, "Wait, did he REALLY just say that!?" couldn't have been scripted better.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Thank you everyone for all the insights and your tie-breaker votes so far!

Here are the current standings:

(A) "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge [8]
(B) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session [6]

(A) Relationship with Marle [12]
(B) The Chun-Li dress [3]

(A) Red XIII - trying to smile [8]
(B) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith [7]

(A) Biggs - his death scene [6]
(B) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection [9]

Aside from Tifa's choice, all the other tie-breakers are incredibly close.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Both scenes consist of Cloud breaking his tough exterior, and while him opening up to AVALANCHE is important, B sticks out to me because of just how utterly broken down he was. Cloud’s able to withstand a lot - but a hand massage might just be his greatest weakness.

Tifa’s relationship with Marle gives her more of a proper social presence in Sector 7, which is a noticeable improvement on the original.

Red XIII’s smile was truly a good moment, but there’s more substance to be had in the Aerith rescuing Marlene scene. Aerith’s history with the Turks, Marlene trusting Aerith, and so on. It’s too good to pass up on.

Gotta give my girl Aerith some credit for that tough resistance of Hojo’s creepiness, but I gotta give that Biggs sendoff some love.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
--- VOTING IS NOW OVER! ---

The results are in:

(B) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session [7]

This means that the Top 7 moments for Cloud's video will be ranked as follows:
  1. Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
  2. "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
  3. Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
  4. Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene
  5. Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
  6. Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
  7. Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ

(A) Relationship with Marle [13]

With the Chun-Li dress getting the least amount of votes, that moment will no longer be included. So Tifa's final top 7 moments will be ranked as follows:
  1. Her resolution scene
  2. The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends
  3. The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
  4. Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
  5. Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
  6. The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
  7. Relationship with Marle

(B) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith [8]

*pouts*

WHY?!!!

>__<

Ahem. Since the rankings round and the tie-breaker scenario both ended in a tie, I am taking the decision to our Head Content Guru (aka Lex) to make the final vote and call on the proceedings.

Edit:

And the decision is in: the Marlene moment is better!

Which leads us onto....

It was a tough battle for a long while, but the creepy Hojo scene won the day!

(A) Biggs - his death scene [7]
(B) Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection [9]

This means that Biggs' death will not make the final cut! The top 7 rankings will be as follows:
  1. Rufus - every scene he is in
  2. Wedge - When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate
  3. Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
  4. Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
  5. Red XIII - trying to smile
  6. Johnny - the sauce!
  7. Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection

Thank you to everyone who participated these past few weeks with the nominations, then the rankings, and the tie-breaker scenario! Video series incoming asap!

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
--- VOTING IS NOW OVER! ---

The results are in:

(B) Reaction to expensive hand-massage session [7]

This means that the Top 7 moments for Cloud's video will be ranked as follows:
  1. Cloud-In-A-Dress quickly cutting Tifa off - yes, he nailed it!
  2. "Really sorry about your ass" line to Wedge
  3. Reaction to expensive hand-massage session
  4. Refusing to give Barret false hope with regards to Marlene
  5. Comforting Biggs - "this isn't over"
  6. Mowing down soldiers with Hardy Daytona in the Shinra HQ lobby
  7. Throwing his sword through the glass wall to shatter it during the escape from Shinra HQ

(A) Relationship with Marle [13]

With the Chun-Li dress getting the least amount of votes, that moment will no longer be included. So Tifa's final top 7 moments will be ranked as follows:
  1. Her resolution scene
  2. The talk in their room before you pick her dress. "do you even have fancy clothes" - felt like a real conversation between friends
  3. The drink scene at the bar where she fells 'trapped'
  4. Comes back to save Cloud from falling from the top floor of Shinra HQ
  5. Telling the Shinra Manager she doesn't want anyone to be hurt
  6. The "lessons from the ground floor" during Sector 7 navigation / orientation
  7. Relationship with Marle

(B) Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith [8]

*pouts*

WHY?!!!

>__<

Ahem. Since the rankings round and the tie-breaker scenario both ended in a tie, I am taking the decision to our Head Content Guru (aka Lex) to make the final vote and call on the proceedings.

Edit:

And the decision is in: the Marlene moment is better!

Which leads us onto....

It was a tough battle for a long while, but the creepy Hojo scene won the day!

(A) Biggs - his death scene [7]

This means that Biggs' death will not make the final cut! The top 7 rankings will be as follows:
  1. Rufus - every scene he is in
  2. Wedge - When he confronts the guards to let people evacuate
  3. Red XIII - Making fun of Barret
  4. Marlene - Seventh Heaven rescue via Aerith
  5. Red XIII - trying to smile
  6. Johnny - the sauce!
  7. Hojo - psychologically torturing Aerith with descriptions of her mother's dissection

Thank you to everyone who participated these past few weeks with the nominations, then the rankings, and the tie-breaker scenario! Video series incoming asap!

I just realized we never voted on Sephiroth having his own video. You can disregard that song:(

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
To be fair, Sephiroth's list would have basically included every scene he was in.

I just realized Biggs' death is also on Cloud's list, so I'm extra okay with Hojo winning. The more characters the merrier.

Top Bottom