Tifa character design seems to be inspired by Misao Aoyama from a famous visual novel of the early 90s

KuraudoSeph789

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
KuraudoSeph789
Recently some Japanese players have pointed out the design similarities in design between Tifa Lockheart and Aoyama Misao from the popular visual novel Can Can Bunny Extra particularly her hair, white top, black mini skirt and red shoes.

giCjil6.jpeg

The similarities don’t stop at the visual design though, when Tifa was first revealed for FFVII in a magazine as the 6th party member they included her measurements and they are the same as Misao but with +1 added to each (this latter got changed).

soKhvWn.jpeg

On top of that during a recent interview Nojima talked about the dating mechanics in Rebirth being similar to old dating sims from 30 years ago, adding to the amount of coincidences it’s worth noting that Can Can Bunny Extra became 30 years old in 2023.

fdE3rhJ.jpeg

This would be hard to believe if it wasn’t for the Interview, it can be a coincidence that she has very similar character design with Misao but Nojima saying “It reminded me of playing dating sim games 30 years ago” seems oddly specific plus it wouldn’t be the first time there is similarities in design between FFVII characters and outside characters as seen with Red and Cloud.

YEqCMg9.jpeg

This is just talking about character design alone since personality wise they are different, it seems Nomura took inspiration from Misao design when creating Tifa.

ddqslBV.jpeg

Do you guys think this is just some big coincidences or she could be inspired by the character from the visual novel?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I mean long black-haired light-skinned pretty women isn't exactly a rare character designed archetype in Japanese media in general.

KuraudoSeph789

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
KuraudoSeph789
I mean long black-haired light-skinned pretty women isn't exactly a rare character designed archetype in Japanese media in general.
Yeah but I was talking more about coincidences like Tifa saying the phrase from Misao in the visual novel fight into her own slap fight with Scarlet, also her initial measurements being the same as Misato and her having the same style of clothing (white top, black skirt and red shoes). It is more than the black hair tho.

Reactions: Wol

KuraudoSeph789

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
KuraudoSeph789
Also someone mentioned to me that the Misao character has an outdoor s*x scene in the game and that it could be the inspiration for the Highwind.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah but I was talking more about coincidences like Tifa saying the phrase from Misao in the visual novel fight into her own slap fight with Scarlet, also her initial measurements being the same as Misato and her having the same style of clothing (white top, black skirt and red shoes). It is more than the black hair tho.
I mean until more information is uncovered (like maybe someone will eventually ask Nomura in an interview) I don't think it is possible to determine whether it is a coincidence or a case of having been influenced by the visual novel character.

Sometimes coincidences can eerily share details; for example, a lot of people think that when Kentaro Miura created the character Guts from the manga Berserk, he must have been influenced by the real life historical figure Götz of the Iron Hand, but someone eventually asked Miura, he said no he hadn't been influenced by Götz of the Iron Hand and that he didn't even learn of Götz von Berlichingen until after he had been publishing Berserk for a while.

Top Bottom