Timeline makes no sense in some places

screwygirl

Rookie Adventurer
So, I was working on a fanfiction and had to compare it to the timeline. If Sephiroth was born in 1980 and the Wutai war happened in 1992, where Sephiroth became a highly decorated general, that means he was 12 years old.

Ummm... what?

Reactions: Ite

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Where are you getting those years from? This timeline is taken from the Ultimania which is as official as it gets.
EDIT: Even that isn't the most accurate though, there's a few questionable comments in there.

Reactions: Ite

screwygirl

Rookie Adventurer
Also, even the Compilation says 20 years before CC, Sephiroth was born... then 8 years before CC, Wutai war begins where Sephiroth will become a decorated hero. That still says 12 years old.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Sephiroth’s age has never been precisely defined much by SE beyond “25-30 years old during the events of FFVII”, meaning Sephiroth was anywhere between 10-15 when the Wutai war started (in 1992). Even with the maximum latter age range, it’s just one of those suspension of disbelief from the OG that probably didn’t have much serious concern given to it (likewise Cloud joining the equivalent of the military at 14 years old).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
So, I was working on a fanfiction and had to compare it to the timeline. If Sephiroth was born in 1980 and the Wutai war happened in 1992, where Sephiroth became a highly decorated general, that means he was 12 years old.

Ummm... what?
The Wutai War lasted 8 years or so, nowhere is it said Sephiroth was it's conquering hero from day one. And the idea that he was a general is not canon.

Ah yes, the wikia, source of so many misconceptions.

Many people's headcanons, as well as pervasive fanons, have crept into the wikia. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't state categorically that Reno's last name is Sinclair. That said, Theozilla is spot on when he says that in their world it's not unusual for kids to join the military in their mid-teens.

screwygirl

Rookie Adventurer
Ah yes, the wikia, source of so many misconceptions.

Many people's headcanons, as well as pervasive fanons, have crept into the wikia. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't state categorically that Reno's last name is Sinclair. That said, Theozilla is spot on when he says that in their world it's not unusual for kids to join the military in their mid-teens.

I will try to remember that. Thank you.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Sephiroth’s age has never been precisely defined much by SE beyond “25-30 years old during the events of FFVII”, meaning Sephiroth was anywhere between 10-15 when the Wutai war started (in 1992). Even with the maximum latter age range, it’s just one of those suspension of disbelief from the OG that probably didn’t have much serious concern given to it (likewise Cloud joining the equivalent of the military at 14 years old).

TFW you realize you're older than Sephiroth :closedmonster:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I've been thinking about the Nibelheim incident, and the official timeline keeps messing things up.

According to the timeline:
Sep 22 - Sephiroth, Zack, and Cloud visit the Nibelheim maco reactor.
Oct 1 - Sephiroth burns the town and goes missing.

The OG doesn't state the dates specifically and doesn't confirm the number of days Sephiroth spends in the manor. According to Cloud's flashback, the light in the basement never went off, but that's just it. Cloud wakes up in the manor when another infantryman is keeping watch, sees Sephiroth in the basement one last time, runs after him into town and finds the town burning.

In CC, Zack says that the lights in the basement never went off, "and on the seventh day..." he walks out of the inn and finds the town in flames. Which means Sephiroth was hiding away for nearly a week. If the journey to the reactor and back took them one full day and Sephiroth disappeared on the following morning... we end up with three lists of events which just don't add up anyway.

If we take Sep 22 as the turning point of events, then CC unravels as follows:
09/22 - Investigation / Sephiroth goes nuts
09/23 - Sephiroth disappears / Day 1
09/24-09/28 Days 2-6
09/29 - Days 7 / Nibelheim burns

If we assume Sep 22 is the day when they arrive in Nibelheim:
09/22 - Arrival
09/23 - Investigation
09/24 - Sephiroth disappears / Day 1
09/25-09/29 - Days 2-6
09/30 - Day 7 / Nibelheim burns

And only if we assume that Zack starts counting days AFTER he finds Sephiroth in the basement, which is weird, because he discovers the basement first thing in the morning, and basically there's a whole day ahead of him...
09/22 - Arrival
09/23 - Investigation
09/24 - Sephiroth disappears
09/25-09/30 - Days 1-6
10/01 - Day 7 / Nibelheim burns

Either one or two days are lost in this mess of officially given dates, or Gaia has a different number of days in September, or CC is simply a retcon fuckup machine, which ruined not only the Nibelheim incident by shoving Genesis into the scene but also the amount of time spent in Nibelheim for the sake of using the iconic number 7 again. Your thoughts on that?

UPDATE: or maybe I was wrong with my assumptions, and the way to Mt.Nibel and back took them longer than one day. The area looks pretty dark around the reactor, but on the other hand, it's always night in Sector 8 in Midgar too...

09/22 - Arrival
09/23 - Investigation
09/24 - The party returns in the morning, Sephiroth disappears, the party catches up on sleep, and finds Sephiroth in the evening
09/25-10/01 - The party kills time in Nibelheim to find the town burning on the 7th day.

Nah, now I regret giving that so much thought as it does add up in the end but still contradicts the official timeline a little bit.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
By that time... Zack has seen Shinra cover-up two towns being destoryed, Banora and Nibelehim. He's also way more worried about the Turks finding him and Cloud at Gongaga... and when the Turks do find them, he's more worried about if his parents are alive (they are). And after that he has to leave Gongaga as Cisnesi is about to call in the rest of the Turks on their heads after giving them ten minutes to leave.

So Zack kinda has a lot on his plate when he gets to Gongaga and never gets the opportunity to ask around to town at all to see if anything did happen while he was asleep. He probably never finds out TBH.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
FF7's timeline makes no sense because this game doesn't need time constraints, it encapsules all what has already happened and all what will happen. Its nature is eternal and everlasting, what we percieve as changes and inconsistencies actually is just the pulse of atoms dancing in space. This is singularity.

I need to stop listening to prog music.

Top Bottom