• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS 10th anniversary shenanigans!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Aight; are you okay with packaging and posting it once we're finished too? I'll bung you the money from the TLS account (which isn't an account as such but you know what I mean) once it's all settled.

Also it's a PAL one, right? Do PAL PS machines work on (modern-day) TVs in the Fourth Reich?

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Yeah, it won't be until September anyway.

The console runs fine on a modern TV, we've been playing on it. :awesome: I'll double check everything works fine before it gets shipped anyway, the control pad is being reconditioned ATM (stripped and cleaned; twenty-odd years of thumb funk is something no-one needs to see).
The only snag is that phaser guns like the G-Con don't work on modern TVs because they were designed for CRT rather than LCD or plasma. Not an issue for FFVII OFC but worth bearing in mind in case the recipient wants to get their retro gamer hat on.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah a friend of mine still has his old Nintendo, works fine except Duck Hunt doesn't work on his fancy 50 or 60 inch 3D wotsit tv :monster:. What about NTSC vs PAL though?

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
PAL consoles can run NTSC games with a cartridge (the PS has a port and they're relatively easily obtained even now), it'll need a plug if the winner is outside the UK anyway (it has a three-pin plug). An AV lead IIRC causes the screen to display in black and white only but a scart lead will show in colour.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
This sounds like an awesome idea!

Can't believe TLS is almost 10 years old. So proud of you guys <3

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Right guys, now the new forum is up and running I want to get this competition on the go ASAP but I'm having a bit of difficulty with the rules. Originally I wanted to run it as a raffle with conditions (those being at least one month of membership and a minimum of ten posts in addition to an entry fee), but under UK law that is classed as a lottery and can only be done if the beneficiary is a charitable organisation (i.e., not TLS). Since the proceeds would be going into the TLS pot, it needs to be run as a competition which is fine but the structure of the competition would need to change to accommodate legislation.
More information here: http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.u...ns/Commercial-schemes/Prize-competitions.aspx
Definition of a lottery here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/19/section/14
The route we can do this legally here: http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.u...e-competitions-and-free-draws-quick-guide.pdf

I've been thinking about different methods of organising a competition and I keep going blank because my eyes have screen burn. Most straightforward one I can think of which doesn't discriminate but does include a skill test is 'In fifty/whatever words or less, tell TLS what FFVII means to you', or suchlikes.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I think we never knew about any rules, it's just a giveaway, :monster:. Pretty sure it'd fall under Dutch juristiction too, given how the site is hosted here and I'm the end responsible. I think we're too small for anyone to give a h*ck personally.

Also re: rules, is the organizer / are the staff exempt from participating?

Also also, if we want to do a BIG fundraiser, would we be allowed to do a lottery at KC? I'm probably reaching here, :monster:.

Reactions: Lex

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Yop read the links dammit! A lottery (including raffles) can't be run for profit in the UK, it has to be for a charitable cause. If you're talking about selling raffle tickets at Pomathon, it can't be done (more to the point, worst case scenario from that is prosecution and I rather like not having a criminal record - don't try and kid yourself that the Gambling Commission wouldn't target small fry, that's exactly what they look for).

The whole point of the earlier post is that we can run a competition and charge an entry fee (this is optional ofc) but it must have a skill challenge - we can't pick a winner out of a hat because that is a game of chance and therefore classed as a lottery. Also if Dutch regulations are different then unlazy yourself and look them up dammit!

Do we have an exasperated smiley?

Top Bottom