TLS Awards Revisited

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Hi all,

We're planning to revisit the TLS Awards (way ahead of time) and give everyone the opportunity to:

+ Discuss the current awards titles
+ Suggest new awards titles
+ Discuss which awards titles should to be removed from the event

^ So do that, right here right now. Discuss. :monster:

We're also looking to divide our awards titles into different categories such as:

+ Talent Awards
(would contain Titles such as Best Artist, Best Musician, etc.)

+ Aesthetic Appeal Awards
(would contain Titles such as Best Ass, Best Beard, etc.)

+ Socialite Awards
(would contain Titles such as Most Pedantic, Most Predictable, etc.)

^ So if you think there are different categories that would make the awards additionally fun/entertaining, please do suggest. :)

There's no rush here. In about a week or two, I'll make a list of all the suggested awards titles in addition to our current award titles, break them down into categories, and have a community poll to determine which should actually appear in this year's TLS Awards.

:reptar:

For your handy-dandy reference, here is a list of our current award titles:

1. Most likely to suggest award ideas they'll never win
2. Most likely to need a swear filter
3. The Paradox Award
4. Most Pedantic
5. Most Predictable
6. Most likely to go the extra mile
7. Most creative thread starter
8. Most fervent TLS'er
9. Most Improved
10. Nicest Smile
11. Biggest overall FF Wonk
12. Biggest Non-FF Geek
13. Member you'd most like to meet IRL
14. Member you'd most like to bone
15. Horniest Member
16. Best Drunk/Stoner
17. The "Wish you were here" award
18. The Phoenix Down Award
19. Best Graphics (avatar/signature)
20. The TLS Art Award
21. Best Literary Mind Award
22. Funnest / Most Entertaining Award
23. Most Talented Overall Award
24. Best newcomer
25. Best quality poster
26. Best .gif reply
27. Hottest Male
28. Hottest Female
29. Biggest username changer
30. Bounciest Boobies
31. Best Ass
32. Best Beard
33. Best site contributor
34. Best forum staffer
35. Sexiest voice
36. Most pistoning pen0r
37. Best bromance
38. Best ship TLS OTP
39. Most Diametrically Opposed Pair (crack ship)
40. Most shippable Member
41. TLS Peace Prize
42. Member of the year
43. TLS Lifetime Achievement Award

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
So, yyyyyyeeeahhhhhhh....

gifstache.com_2268_1350007200.gif

I'll just get this started by recommending some thangs...

ADD:
Best Musician (maybe two categories: acoustic/electronic)
Best Traditional Artist
Best Digital Artist

REMOVE:
Most Talented Overall
TLS Art Award
(because redundant and I think we should have a larger variety/more specified talent awards)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
My opinions (and that's what this thread is for, right?) on the categories in your opening post:

Keep

1. The Paradox Award - not one of my favourites but I guess it's funny
  2. Most creative thread starter - it's good to reward people for being active on the forum
  3. Most fervent TLS'er - a bit of overlap but not so much that I'd scrap it
  4. Most Improved - definite keeper
  5. Member you'd most like to meet IRL - always a nice one
  6. Member you'd most like to bone - fun and gender-neutral
  7. Horniest Member - god knows there are some horny bastards around here
  8. The "Wish you were here" award - it's nice to remember people who haven't been around for a while, but we might want to include some criteria for nominations, since I always see someone saying "I'm still here!" after they've been nominated
  9. The Phoenix Down Award - good name, good award
  10. Funniest / Most Entertaining Award - no comment needed
  11. Best newcomer - no comment needed
  12. Best quality poster - no comment needed
  13. Best site contributor - no comment needed
  14. Best forum staffer - no comment needed
  15. Sexiest voice - again, not a favourite, but why not
  16. Best ship TLS OTP - always entertaining
  17. Most Diametrically Opposed Pair (crack ship) - ditto, but maybe clean the name up a bit
  18. TLS Lifetime Achievement Award - but make it clearer that people who have won it before can't be nominated again

Scrap

1. Most likely to suggest award ideas they'll never win - adds very little to the awards
  2. Most likely to need a swear filter - this shouldn't be a vote because we can determine who swears the most with a forum query
  3. Most Pedantic - I don't think we should have "negative" categories, that people (including me) might not want to win
  4. Most Predictable - see above
  5. Most likely to go the extra mile - vague, overlaps with lots of other categories
  6. Nicest Smile - we have enough physical appearance awards already
  7. Best Drunk/Stoner - I couldn't care less how people behave when they're drunk or stoned
  8. Most Talented Overall Award - replaced by other awards
  9. Best .gif reply - aside from the name making little sense, it overlaps with "funniest/most entertaining"
  10. Biggest username changer - again, we could actually count who has changed the most, so there's no point having an award
  11. Bounciest Boobies - I know we're never actually going to get rid of this category or the next two, but as I said, I think we have enough physical appearance awards
  12. Best Ass - see above
  13. Best Beard - see above
  14. Most pistoning pen0r - I've never understood the point
  15. Best bromance - only for bros?
  16. Most shippable Member - kinda pointless
  17. TLS Peace Prize - overlaps somewhat with "best staffer"

Modify

1. Biggest overall FF Wonk - I like the award but the same people are nominated every year, so perhaps we could come up with something better, something that reflects the current year
  2. Biggest Non-FF Geek - see above
  3. Best Graphics (avatar/signature) - a single award for visual arts should be enough*
  4. The TLS Art Award - see above
  5. Best Literary Mind Award - change the name to "best writer" or something, it's very vague
  6. Hottest Male - we're an open-minded forum, why not remove the gendered awards and have a single "Hottest Member" award?
  7. Hottest Female - see above
  8. Member of the Year - I like having a "crowning" award but it definitely overlaps with other awards, so let's think it over

* I see you separated digital and traditional art in your suggestions, but there's a lot of crossover, so I'd rather see them combined. I'm fine with separating literature and music, though.

That would give us about 25 categories - the 18 I mentioned under "keep", six under "modify" (including some merged categories) and your "best musician" suggestion. Once we add the ones under "scrap" that I know other people are going to want to keep, we'll be up to at least 30. How many are we aiming for?

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I just realised I don't really have any particularly strong feelings about any of the awards. But there is too many of them, and have we looked into getting a form sorted out? might make things quicker/easier in the future.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
So far I'm agreeing with most of Flint's comments, particularly about certain members winning the same awards year after year.

As for the submission form thing - ofc I haven't done any such thing yet. Will do, will do. :D

I'm also in favor of changing up the awards titles by giving them FF-themes. I.e. White Mage Award for peacekeepers, Moomba Award for the best of friends, etc...only I'm coming up with these names on a whim. We should probably put more thought into it. :monster:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Maybe we can sort out how many awards to cap off at and what kinds to prioritize so it'll be easier to sort out what to keep, what to scrap and what to change. Then we'd have a nice, varied assortment of awards without having a mile long list to go through.

Flint has a point about cutting down on appearance awards and reducing overlap.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I was thinking no more than 10 awards per category. I wouldn't mind adding another category if we could think of a meaningful one. :monster:

AvecAloes

Donator
Firstly, I absolutely love love love the White Mage Award proposed by Howl. I think the idea of giving more of our awards FF themes makes perfect sense and why haven't we focused on that before, guys, come on. Totally dropped the ball on that one.

Maybe we could make the "Best Ass Award" the "Dagger/Garnet (whichever one you'd want to use) Award"
hqdefault.jpg
:monster:

"Bounciest Boobies" = "Tifa Award", etc etc etc

Secondly, I suggest scrapping the following (numbered as they are in Howl's original list, and I know some of these have already been addressed by other members):

2. Most likely to need a swear filter
10. Nicest Smile
23. Most Talented Overall Award (this is such a weird category in my opinion, because who is to argue that one person's art is better than one person's story writing?)
29. Biggest username changer (who cares, says the person who has never changed her username ever :monster: )
35. Sexiest voice (Does it really matter? Not to want to take fun out of the awards or anything, obviously, but...voice?)
37. Best bromance (I feel like this ends up just being another shipping opportunity)
40. Most shippable Member (again, does this one really matter or mean anything? I feel like it's just a contest of who can come up with the best portmanteau)

If I weren't so highly caffeinated I might think more about this or come up with other ones I would vote to scrap, but I'm having a hard time focusing on words so I'm gonna leave it at that for now

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Oh my, how about the "Ooo, soft..." award. :lol:

I'll have fun thinking up FF themed awards titles tonight. :monster:
There has to be an Ultros award. :D

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Would it be in poor taste to make the wish you were here award the Aerith award? Also, while Flint did a pretty good job summing up what to do with the various awards, I think the most pedantic award just needs a rename that'll make it clearer that it's about attention to detail rather than nitpicking, which seems to be what bugs him about it. If we're going with a FF theme for all the award names, I suppose a character or job name that reflects that would be the way to go.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm on my phone so I can't properly quote reply until later but fuck you Flint you just got rid of every award I ever won. :femrage:

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
OMG I love the FF naming theme ideas. <3
I can think of more stuff later but, for instance, what if we do have a music award for those who play music on here and call it the 'Best Bard' award or something?

Also, thoughts on 'Most Improved' = "Blue Mage' award as a rename? Because Blue Mages learn as they go on and become much better party members the more they learn. Or is that too abstract?

Edit: As for most Pedantic... hmm a FF job class related to being detailed... Or knowledgeable? How about a 'Scholar'?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Maybe the bard one can be the spoony bard? We need a dragoon or Highwind award somewhere but I don't know which one it'd fit best with.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Flare, I was trying to think of a way to incorporate Blue Mage because I freakin' love blue mages. :monster:

I was thinking, in regards to awards categories:
Talent awards - named after job classes
Aesthetic awards - named after characters
Social awards - named after critters (like moogle, chocobo, etc)

Wot think you?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I think restricting character, job and critter names to particular categories might be a bit confining when it comes to giving each award the name that fits best within the FF theme. There's no need to over complicate the renaming process. We also need to make sure we're keeping a particular award as it is before renaming it, otherwise we'd be wasting time doing that.

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Okay I'll make a list like Flint did and suggest ones IMO that we can keep, discard, on-the-fence (not sure if we should keep or not) or modify/change.

Keep:

9. Most Improved - A nice one to have I think. I suggested renaming it the 'Blue Mage' award to denote someone who's learned a lot more since they first arrived (improved, in other words).
7. Most creative thread starter - I always took this to mean people who create really interesting threads. Is that what it's for?
8. Most fervent TLS'er - Most addicted to TLS? :wacky:
13. Member you'd most like to meet IRL
14. Member you'd most like to bone
15. Horniest Member
17. The "Wish you were here" award - What about just 'Most Missed'? Until we figure out FF names.
18. The Phoenix Down Award
19. Best Graphics (avatar/signature) - I kind of like this for avatar/signature groupings, as it doesn't mean the same person will get this award each year.
22. Funnest / Most Entertaining Award
24. Best newcomer
25. Best quality poster - Does this mean someone who makes well-thought posts and the like?
27. Hottest Male & 28. Hottest Female - I actually kind of like them being separate, I think it's fun to have both men and women categories here, there's more hot winners that way. :awesome:
31. Best Ass - It's entertaining seeing people take pictures of their butts.
33. Best site contributor
34. Best forum staffer

35. Sexiest voice - I like this one actually, I think it's a fun 'physical' appearance award that relies not on looks but sound.
38. Best ship TLS OTP
39. Most Diametrically Opposed Pair (crack ship)
- Just call it Worst TLS Ship?
41. TLS Peace Prize - I assume this is for those who are peaceful folks by nature, and I love the idea of calling it the White Mage award.
42. Member of the year
43. TLS Lifetime Achievement Award

Modify:

4. Most Pedantic - As already suggested, rename this one and make it more about paying attention to details rather than nitpicking. One has positive connotations and is often seen as helpful, the other is definitely negative. As for name change, I suggested 'The Scholar Award' to denote someone who's pretty knowledgeable?
6. Most likely to go the extra mile - Does this mean someone who's most likely to help out in general? Or for like site-related stuff only?
11. Biggest overall FF Wonk - I agree about giving it perhaps a name change and a different description, to keep it up to date?
12. Biggest Non-FF Geek - Don't have much to say here; a bit hard to judge geekiness though, I mean we're all geeks/nerds to a degree but is it measured by the stuff we own or the way we act? Is there a difference between geek and nerd here, btw?
20. The TLS Art Award & 23. Most Talented Overall Award - I seriously feel these are the same things. :monster:
21. Best Literary Mind Award - Just change it to 'Best Writer'.

Maybe keep:

10. Nicest Smile - Not sure about this one; it's kind of like the 'hottest male/female' award, isn't it?
30. Bounciest Boobies - Is this basically 'who has the biggest boobs'? At least make it 'best boobs' so that they don't have to be big. Otherwise there's the problem of the same people winning each time.
32. Best Beard - I think this can be entertaining but no big love loss if it's not there.
36. Most pistoning pen0r - I'm still honestly not sure about this thing. Is it just about sexual prowess or something? I have no clue :monster:

Discard:

- A weird award.
2. Most likely to need a swear filter - Kind of pointless.
3. The Paradox Award - Definitely weird.
5. Most Predictable - Seems kind of weird.
16. Best Drunk/Stoner - Also weird, I don't see you drunks in person so how can I say? :awesome:
26. Best .gif reply - I agree with Flint on this one
29. Biggest username changer - Pointless.
37. Best bromance - either change it to 'Best Friendship' or something similar, or scrap it, I think.
40. Most shippable Member - Also a bit weird.

So for the art stuff, since there's a writer category, why not make the music one too, and one for painters/drawers? I think the 'Art Award' should probably stay since that encompasses all one's talents (say they write and draw, or play music and paint, ect) instead of just one particular skill.

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I'm also in favour of renaming awards per jobs/characters/etc and should only be done after we've nailed down what we'll actually keep, otherwise we might be coming up/using references to things we might not keep.

On the other hand, should they be divided so strategically... some awards may have really good fitting names but don't get classified appropriately, i.e. The Phoenix Down Award (best comeback). Would you then have to conform and try name all actionable awards after items?

.....The Tissue Award (i.e. who are you and why are you here) :wacky:

Otherwise, here's my thoughts:

For Keeps, yo <3

17. The "Wish you were here" award - Good for it's own reasons (Also, don't let Flare change the name it's a great name :monster: )
18. The Phoenix Down Award - Good for it's own reason
8. Most fervent TLS'er - Fervent is an odd word but I agree with Flare, change to addicted :wacky:
9. Most Improved - Most excellent
11. Biggest overall FF Wonk - Good because there's a lot of ways this can be nommed for
7. Most creative thread starter - Keep it
24. Best newcomer - Good
25. Best quality poster - Better
26. Best .gif reply - Best :monster: Could use a rename though
20. The TLS Art Award - Keep this beacause v
21. Best Literary Mind Award - We got some creative as fuck people here
27. Hottest Male//28. Hottest Female - Keep these because hot people
22. Funnest / Most Entertaining Award - Good just beacause
34. Best forum staffer - Also good because they're awesome
37. Best bromance/sisbliss - Keep it but don't be sexist.. girls have friendships too :monster:
38. Best ship TLS OTP - Shadenny 2016 :megusta:

Maybe baby

1. Most likely to suggest award ideas they'll never win - this has it's own little brand of irony to it, so maybe?
6. Most likely to go the extra mile//33. Best site contributor - I feel like these are pretty much the same thing....no?
5. Most Predictable - I feel wishy washy on this...
42. Member of the year//43. TLS Lifetime Achievement Award - How is this not the same thing.. I don't get it?
29. Biggest username changer - I wanna keep this because I have identity issues :monster:
19. Best Graphics (avatar/signature) - iono
14. Member you'd most like to bone//15. Horniest Member - I feel like these can be merged somehow
12. Biggest Non-FF Geek - /shrug
13. Member you'd most like to meet IRL - This is also kinda a weird way to say Most Popular but I dunno maybe keep?

Kill it with fire

2. Most likely to need a swear filter - I think we're all quite capable of making a sailor blush but this one didn't have much turn out last year
3. The Paradox Award - what does this even mean?
16. Best Drunk/Stoner - I'm kinda meh on this. Does one really measure drunkstonerness and what makes it better?
36. Most pistoning pen0r - wat
4. Most Pedantic - tbh I never really got this
39. Most Diametrically Opposed Pair (crack ship) - I don't... wat?
23. Most Talented Overall Award - I feel like this is moot if you have both literary/graphics/best posters awards and this is there for the sake of it
10. Nicest Smile//30. Bounciest Boobies//31. Best Ass//32. Best Beard//35. Sexiest voice - All of these can go for the same reason, imo.. When you got hot male/female awards I think it sort of sorts itself.. though Ryu might be upset for losing his bouncy boobie awards :wacky:
40. Most shippable Member - This is kinda like a weird friendly way to say "Most Popular" and it's not a bad thing but it is kinda odd
41. TLS Peace Prize - Would this maybe not go to a staffer be merged with that because that's their job?

AvecAloes

Donator
Call me shallow, but I really like the Best Ass/Bounciest Boobies Awards because of the pictures that are provided for consideration :desu:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Call me shallow, but I really like the Best Ass/Bounciest Boobies Awards because of the pictures that are provided for consideration :desu:

No no, that isn't being shallow at all. That is being very appreciative of the very fine assets everyone has here. :awesome:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
As previously mentioned, we can worry about giving these Awards "FF" themed Titles after we've chosen which awards we actually want to keep. :)

I think that when we open up the official nominations thrad, there should be a very clear description of the meaning behind each award so that people don't feel like "wtf is the Paradox award". :lol:

My thoughts:

+ Writer
+ Traditional Artist
+ Digital Artist
+ Musician
+ Composer
+ Jack of All Trades - Someone who is good at a great many things

(we all know these are never going anywhere) :monster:
+ Best Smile
+ Hottest Male
+ Hottest Female
+ Boobies (previously bounciest boobes because all boobies are welcome)
+ Arse
+ Beard/Tentacles
+ Voice

+ The Phoenix Down Award
Obv, someone who left then came back
In order to be a nominee, said person has to have been gone for at least a year

+ Best Newcomer
No explanation needed
+ Wish you were here Award (The Aerith Ressurection GameShark Code Award or whatever)
In order to be a nominee, said person has to have been gone for longer than, idk...3 months?
+ Who you'd like to meet IRL
No explanation needed
+ Best Ship (Maybe call it "The Love Triangle" award or some such)
No explanation needed
Stipulation: last year's winning ships can't be nominees again

+ Most Shippable
Should not be won by vote, but by tallying up how many ships a person is nommed in
+ Quality Poster
Someone who thinks things through very thoroughly before cliking "Submit Poste"

+ Person who pays close attention to detail
Previously the pedantic award
+ Most all-around helpful
Someone who always wants to help others, no matter what the issue is
+ Most considerate of others
Someone who probably spends time IRL wondering how other TLSers are doing
+ Most Entertaining
No explanation needed
+ Master Debator
(we could always call it Master-'Bater)
+ Biggest Non FF Geek
No explanation needed
+ Biggest FF Wonk
No explanation needed
+ Most Avid FF Collector
Person who collects all the FF things

+ Member of the Year
Someone who goes above and beyond, is well liked by the community, etc.
Same person can't win two years in a row

+ Lifetime Achievement
Same as above, only said person has been at it for a very long time
Same person can't win twice

+ TLS Peace Prize
Someone who likes to keep things smooth mcgroove
+ Site Contributor Awards
Not a vote-for sort of thing - rather a recognition thing outlining what our contributors have done in the past year

+ Forum query for most thankful 2016
+ Forum query for most thanked in 2016
+ Forum query for most :monster: uses in 2016 (if possible)
+ People who became "great old ones" within the last year
+ Winner of the Most Awards

+ Most likely to suggest award ideas they'll never win
I don't think this one is very meaningful.
+ Most likely to need a swear filter
Why have a community vote when we could just do a forum query.
+ The Paradox Award
Because what is this even...?
+ Most Predictable
Seems more negative than positive.
+ Most Fervent TLS'er
I probably wouldn't even want to win this since it's like saying "person with no life"
+ Most Improved
I just think we can replace this with something else, because it's like saying "you weren't all that great before"
+ Member you'd most like to bone
I think this could be replaced with something better
+ Best Drunk/Stoner
IMO Kimble already won this award for eternity, so what's the point
+ Best Graphics (avatar/signature)
Because meh
+ Horniest Member
Dawn already won this for eternity
+ Biggest Username Changer
Not a very exciting award.
+ TLS Art Award
Should be scrapped for more specific talent awards
+ Most Talented Overall Award
Should be scrapped for more specific talent awards
+ Best Forum Staffer
Because they're all the bestest
+ Best Bromance
We already have best ship
+ Most pistoning pen0r
Because what does this even mean? Horniest male? Has the most children? Biggest boner?
+ Most Diametrically Opposed Pair (crack ship)
Because people who don't get along probably don't want to be shipped together anyhow
+ Most creative thread starter
Because I don't think anyone maintains a list of great threads and who started them
+ Best .gif reply
Because again, does anyone maintain a list?

Top Bottom