• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS Music Club!

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy

Hello and welcome to!!

music_club.png

This club was first suggested by our very own Flintlock! The idea is to have a weekly theme that is decided in advance and everyone picking/linking a song that relates to that theme. Then we discuss the songs posted and such.

The Set-Up

Each week, folks are going to be free to throw out suggestions for themes to appear in the coming weeks. I’ll keep a list of them
List-o-Themes said:
  1. Inspiration
  2. Home
  3. Acceptance
  4. Creepy
  5. Darkness
  6. Happiness
  7. Blue
  8. Solitude
  9. Protest
  10. Nostalgia
  11. Anger
  12. Sex
  13. Bittersweet
  14. Cheeky
  15. Regret
  16. Arrogance
  17. Hopelessness
  18. Candy
  19. Adventure
  20. Epic
  21. Doom
  22. Carefree
  23. Positivity
  24. Badass
  25. Sophistication
  26. Whimsical
  27. Rejection
  28. Lust
  29. Hopefullness
and will use a randomiser to choose the theme of the week. The theme will be announced with the new post every Saturday around 19:00 GMT

Along with posting the theme, I’ll be posting a personal question relating to music as well as trivia questions! You’re free to post whatever you feel like answering to, whether it’s just the personal question or the theme or both etc. You’re also free to play ‘catch up’ on past personal questions/themes if you want to share something particular with us, but you may NOT answer past trivia questions. I mean you could...but it wouldn’t really matter. :P

Trivia System & Rules:

1. Every Saturday, I’ll be posting three random trivia questions and you can decide whether or not you participate in any of them (that is, you can choose to answer as many as you’d like or none at all).
  2. All participants should either slip into my PMs here or slide into my DMs via discord with your answer(s) and I’ll tell you how many points you’ve earned...or lost!
  3. If you are correct, you gain two points! However, if you are wrong, you lose one!
    - This can make things interesting in cases where you are confident in the answer of at least one trivia question. If you decide to guess the other two, no points can be taken away from your total score, but you risk not gaining any points either.
  4. WARNING: Each participant is only allowed to give one answer per question per trivia round! So only answer if you’re feeling confident (or lucky)!
  5. The current week’s trivia answers will be revealed with the new set of trivia questions every Saturday.
  6. NO CHEATING. Of course I can&#8217;t stop you from breaking this rule and researching the right answers, but what would be the fun in that eh? :/ It&#8217;s a shallow victory and I hope the guilt eats you up inside as I&#8217;m congratulating you should you so choose to cheat. ):<
  7. BE A GOOD SPORT. I&#8217;m running this weekly quiz just for the fun of it! I pull the majority of these questions from trivia sites/articles from the interwebs, and I&#8217;m doing my darnedest to make sure the questions are diverse, covering different genres and periods so that everyone gets a chance to feel confident in answering something at some point. :) If you feel like there&#8217;s something being unrepresented, let me know and I&#8217;ll try to cycle it into the questions.
  8. To give folks a chance at being &#8216;top of the scoreboard&#8217;, the scores are reset every three months. However, I will still be keeping track of everyone&#8217;s total score and post our big winner at the end of the year.
  9. I try my hardest to research each trivia question before I present them here, but I am only human! If there is ever a time that you believe that an answer to a trivia question is inaccurate, you can present your argument (with credible sources please) and if I've decided that I've been given sufficient evidence, that'll be a freebie point for everyone who answered.

Direct any questions in general to me if you&#8217;re confused. :)

In the meantime, moving on to 6th January, 2018's
theme_of_the_week.png

Inspiration (n.) - the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

As of now, what is the most played song on your iTunes (or any music playing equivalent)?

triva.png

1. Which celebrated Led Zeppelin song actually bombed with audiences the first time it was performed in 1971?
    A. &#8216;Black Dog&#8217;
    B. &#8216;Immigrant Song&#8217;
    C. &#8216;Stairway to Heaven&#8217;
    D. &#8216;When the Levee Breaks&#8217;​
  2. Which composer learnt how to play piano before he could read?
    A. Mozart
    B. Beethoven
    C. Bach
    D. Chopin​
  3. Lady Gaga&#8217;s hit &#8216;Telephone&#8217; was originally written for whom before being rejected by her management?
    A. Christina Aguilera
    B. Katy Perry
    C. Britney Spears
    D. Rihanna​

Best of luck and happy posting!! :joy:

SCORES ARE RESET​

Last edited:

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
YAAAAAAAAAAY YOU DID THE THING :reptar:

Been looking forward to seeing this come to life ever since I heard of it! Great work on setting it all up and the art looks fantastic too <3 I hope everyone else is as excited about this and that the club becomes a huge success! I shall now get started on my actual answers to the themes and such \o/

aaad

Pro Adventurer
Tchaikovsky - "Manfred Symphony"

This particularly part of this symphony has inspired me so much over the past year and a half. Whenever I listen to it, I like to grab my conductor's baton (NOT A EUPHEMISM) and look like an absolute idiot in my room conducting to nothing with headphones on... It did help me practice some conducting skills too, and eventually led me to want to write my own symphony, which I started in Sept 2016 and finished in Sept 2017 \o/

Shostakovich Symphony no. 5 mvt 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dYxpDOdq2w

If you listen to only a small part, listen from 13:10 to the end.
This is also another really inspirational piece for me and helped me get through troubles and losses in the past. Everyone has their own interpretation, but Shost wrote this whole symphony at a time where if he wrote the wrong thing, the Russian state would kill him for going against them. This whole symphony is huge propaganda but when played the way Shost intended, is actually reverse propaganda against the state (though it wasn't premiered this way, or he would have been killed). The 3rd movement is an extremely desolate one, very thin, cold and lonely. He was eessentially banking on this one being his final work and that he was going to be killed for it in the end, but eventually, he accepts it and goes to resign himself to his fate peacefully. This can be felt from 13:10 onwards where the piece,
whilst minor thoughout, ends on a very beautiful major chord.

Mao's classical music lecture over <3

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
YAAAAAAAAAAY YOU DID THE THING :reptar:

Been looking forward to seeing this come to life ever since I heard of it! Great work on setting it all up and the art looks fantastic too <3 I hope everyone else is as excited about this and that the club becomes a huge success! I shall now get started on my actual answers to the themes and such \o/

Aaaaaah thank you so much! I'm embarrassed and excited all at the same time. :aah:

Naturally, I want to participate, and after a bit of thought, I think the
is a good example of something inspiring for me. It always gets me hyped when I'm about to draw or tackle a project or something and it just sounds like somethings trying to burst through with bright creative energy throughout the song. Love the build-up.\o/

As of now, my most played song on iTunes is
with 298 plays. I wish I haven't had to reset my iTunes so many times to get a more honest reading lmao. Oh well! I adore this track and this is something I also like to play whilst drawing/thinking on creative stuffs. HoFD is also visually one of my favourite films, though everything else about it sorta hurts my feelings. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AAH NINJA'D BY MAO I'll listen to those pieces in a bit. :reptar:

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Inspiration... I got nothing, I'm not the creative type :monster:.

Moonsorrow - Jäästä Syntynyt / Varjojen Virta, a half an hour epic and IMO the summit of their discography, if not all music liek evar. I'd link a youtube version but at best that's broken up in three parts so, do spotify or go find it yourself :monster:. It's also good working (I guess "inspiration") music for me; it's got long couplets and themes, various movements going into each other, and again for me I'm familiar with it so it really blends into the background. or something. I can't believe it's been out for just over eleven years now and I've regularly been listening to it all this time o_O.

anyway good shit.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Or you may just prefer Gustav Holst's Jupiter: Bringer of Jolity from The Planets suite, 2:54-4:40.

As for most played song on anything, that's a tough one because I don't consistently listen to music on any system so I can't get any good data statistically. But I wanted to get So I thought back to what music I might have listened to the most, and I thought that perhaps it was from a game in a location I got stuck in -- but since it's on repeat it's not really "plays" so much. But I just remembered:

There was a glitch in TimeSplitters 2 where I think if you had the Astrolander cartridge but not the RetroRacer cartridge, in Arcade with Music set to Random it would always select the Astrolander music. I played that game a lot. And fortunately I like this track!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I know this was my idea but I'm in the same boat as Yop; I'm uncreative and devoid of inspiration. :P I'll edit this post if I think of something.

Speaking of Yop: I see your most-played song is 30 mins long and Finnish. Because of course it is. :monster:

This is my most-played song on last.fm, with 138 plays:

I wouldn't say it's my favourite song but I was really into the band, Delays, for a while &#8211; I saw them live maybe three times in the space of a year before I moved to Finland. I always thought it was their lead singer, Greg Gilbert, that really made them stand out, so when his brother, Aaron, started doing the vocals on about half of the tracks on their next album, it just wasn't the same for me.

I think I might know one of the trivia questions but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to risk losing a point over it. -_-

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I loo0o0o0ooove Gustav Holt's Jupiter. I played that section in band class in grade... 9 or 10 and just fell in love with it. Great choice.

For my inspiration I look to the full OST of either FFVII or FFX. I play them at work from my phone or have them in the background when I'm writing or reading... for this reason, my most played song is Zenbuhanashiteokitainda (Let me tell you my story?) at 456 plays on iTunes, followed close by Tidus' Theme at 454. :monster:

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I have a good song for inspiration; first one that really popped into mind,
I first heard this song a few years ago and ever since then, it's always been able to energize and inspire me when I hear it. It makes my mind go into overdrive; lots of good mental images and daydreams result from this song. :D Plus when it comes on the radio when I'm driving..... hnnng. <3 Incidentally, this is also possibly the first song that got me into EDM music, and I've been a big fan of the genre ever since (though I guess this is technically classified as Drum and Bass?)

As for a most listened to song.... this one's tough. I do have a top iTunes song, but I haven't used iTunes in ages. (If anyone's curious, it's
at 102 listens).
But, I'm pretty certain I've heard this song a lot more than that one....
. I can thank Ghost for discovering this song a couple years ago. :awesome: <3

There's a few other songs that I know I've listened to a hell of a lot, but I don't know the actual count so... maybe I'll be able to mention them later down the line when new themes and questions pop up! :D

Last edited:

Ghost X

I don't really have a single inspirational song to inspire me creatively. I'll generally just have something on as background noise when arting, usually completely unrelated to music, or just literal background music that doesn't distract me from my in-the-zone special place. I've done exercises where one just makes marks in response to music, but that's not something I'm really interested in. Some times I imagine action sequences and try and match it up to music, and it is usually some rock song or something similar, Voodoo Child's certainly in there somewhere though :P. However, if I was doing the soundtrack to something, I'd want original music, so such mental exercises are pretty pointless :P.

As for songs I play a lot (I don't have iTunes or any music-playing equivalent :P). Wouldn't really know. I don't really play music as repetitively as I used to. I find the initial buzz music used to have on me loses its effect quicker these days, so am in continual search for new music (though not an active search :P). Over the last, say, 15 years, I probably played Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven the most, at a guess, as I had the best of collection CD in my old car for years :P. Don't play it any more though. Played it to death. Think the CD is still fine though :awesome:. Pink Floyd is arguably my favourite band (aside from my contemporary favourites), so in second position to fourth position of most played I suspect it is probably Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon album (which I view as one song :awesome:), Echoes, or Comfortably Numb (specifically a Pulse concert performance of it :P) in whichever order.

Last edited:

aaad

Pro Adventurer
I have a good song for inspiration; first one that really popped into mind,
I first heard this song a few years ago and ever since then, it's always been able to energize and inspire me when I hear it. It makes my mind go into overdrive; lots of good mental images and daydreams result from this song. :D Plus when it comes on the radio when I'm driving..... hnnng. <3 Incidentally, this is also possibly the first song that got me into EDM music, and I've been a big fan of the genre ever since (though I guess this is technically classified as Drum and Bass?)

THANK YOU FOR THIS.
SPOTIFY. ADD.

GOOOOOOOOOD.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
More often than not, I'm more inspired when I'm feeling a little melancholy, which I guess allows me to produce my best work, creatively (or at least, what I'd consider most meaningful I suppose). When I put on
on a long night drive I can picture warm summer nights and bittersweet revelations under the pink dusk, and it's in imagining those moments where a lot of my inspiration manifests.

As for most played, ta-da! It's totally inaccurate because my iTunes reset late last year ;_; Currently at the top is relative newcomer to my music library,
at 73 plays. A more accurate Most Played title is probably

demonwolf

Pro Adventurer
The kinds of music that usually inspire me are melancholic, too. They help me think a little more about things. Ólafur Arnalds's So Far and the companion So Close were on replay for a while.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
^That's awesome. I thought the name Arnór Dan sounded familiar. Yoko Kanno worked with him on the Zankyou no Terror/Terror in Resonance OST. Example.

(btw, I recommend that soundtrack even if you aren't interested in watching the anime-- which is also pretty alright and directed by Shinichirō Watanabe).

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
"The Bell" segment from Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells II will always inspire me to go above and beyond what I feel I am capable of. It's a slow build-up from a pleasant sound to something that can bring tears to my ears. By the end of the middle half of the track it creates this overwhelming feeling within me that anything is possible and I can be much, much more than the sum of my parts. :'(

If you're unfamiliar, please open yourselves up to something amazing. If that weren't enough you can enjoy Alan Rickman's perfect voice too. :)

demonwolf

Pro Adventurer
^That's awesome. I thought the name Arnór Dan sounded familiar. Yoko Kanno worked with him on the Zankyou no Terror/Terror in Resonance OST. Example.

(btw, I recommend that soundtrack even if you aren't interested in watching the anime-- which is also pretty alright and directed by Shinichirō Watanabe).

Beautiful. Arnór's voice is just so... :pervert:

For some reason, the song is blocked in Japan. :closedmonster: US I understand. Sony Entertainment has been at it awhile. But Japan??

Cacti

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Kanthos, Cacti Kanth
I was meant to type out this response a week ago but I forgot I'M SO SORRY ;__;

There's lots of music that can inspire me and often from game soundtracks. The song I'm going to post is not from a video game. I don't remember exactly where I found this song but I think it was on some Japanese music radio online I found. This has been one of my favorite, positive and inspiring songs for years. I'm not really much of a rap or hip hop person at all but there's something about the energy and flow in this song I just can't get enough of.

As for my most played song on a music platform: my most reliable one at the moment is Spotify and for all of 2017 my most played song was Helsinki by Soilwork, probably my absolute favorite band of all time. I grew up listening to metal and it's something I'll always enjoy listening to, and these guys have stayed consistently good throughout all the years I've known them.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
13th January, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

Home (n.) - the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

...Which is the literal definition, but in a more romanticised sense, it&#8217;s wherever one feels they belong. :)

Please, post a song that you think exemplifies this theme (with either definition ;) ) and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

What is your favourite song to dance to? Doing the shoulder shimmy whilst sitting counts as dancing, too. :P

triva.png

LAST WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. C. &#8216;Stairway to Heaven&#8217;
    • As bassist John Paul Jones recalled, &#8220;They (the audience) were bored to tears waiting to hear something they knew."
      source
  2. A. Mozart
    • Born in 1756 in Salzburg, Austria, Mozart was the definition of child prodigy. His father, Leopold, was a successful violinist and composer who introduced him to music at an early age. Watching his older sister practice, Mozart began to pick up the basics of the piano when he was just three years old.
      source
  3. C. Britney Spears
    • 'Telephone' was originally written by Gaga for singer Britney Spears' sixth studio album, 'Circus', but Spears rejected it.
      source

THIS WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA
  1. According to a tweet posted earlier this week by Lana Del Rey, Radiohead&#8217;s music publisher has ALLEGEDLY been threatening a lawsuit over the similarities that her track, &#8216;Get Free&#8217; holds to the band&#8217;s 90s alt-rock hit, &#8216;Creep.&#8217; Funnily enough, Radiohead has been successfully sued in the past for similar reasons, the offending song being, in fact, &#8216;Creep.&#8217; Which band was that plaintiff?
    A. The Byrds
    B. The Kinks
    C. The Hollies
    D. The Kooks​
  2. After doing a stage dive in 2009, rapper Coolio...
    A. Ended up finishing the rest of the set as he crowd surfed.
    B. Ended up hitting the floor when audience members failed to catch him, got beat up, and had valuables stolen off of him.
    C. Ended up falling straight onto the woman who would one day become his wife.
    D. Ended up hitting the floor when audience members failed to catch him, got knocked unconscious, and lost a considerable amount of money on the show as fans demanded and were given a refund.​
  3. What&#8217;s The Next Lyric?: Stopped into a church/I passed along the way...

Best of luck and happy posting!! :joy:

Also tell me what you think of the inclusion of &#8216;What&#8217;s the Next Lyric?&#8217; as part of the trivia? :joy:

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Okay I didn't want to post until I listened to everyone's shite from before and I have! AAHH so happy! :reptar:

Yop's, in particular, made me feel as though I were on top of a snowy mountain with a dark storm coming in, it was surreal.

Never heard anything like Joe's before :o I enjoyed it!

Cacti already knew I liked the Japanese rap song lmfao. <3

Mkay home. I was trying to think of a track that played a lot in my childhood, but there are too many songs.
Funnily, the first time I heard this song on my Pandora last year, my immediate thoughts were, 'Have I heard this before?' and 'Yikes, gross.' cuz I'm normally not that big a fan of this type of music. But, dunno, it stuck with me and I find the chorus to be especially sweet. I really, really like that bit. I find myself singing it out loud whenever I'm in a lovey, sentimental mood.

'Oh, home, let me come home. Home is wherever I'm with you.' <3

OKAY I dance to pretty much any song ever cuz I love to dance, but I decided to pick a song that's really special to me, because it was the first super difficult dance routine that I ever taught myself. And I never really bothered with anything as strenuous since :P. I mastered it back when I was going through my 'I am obsessed with everything Bollywood' phase, lmao, and the song is
from the Bollywood film, Devdas.

A close runner-up was SHINee's
!! This was amongst the first KPop routines I ever did.

Ghost X

Don't have any song that reminds me of home, like the house I live in, so I will caffeinate my heavily sedated nationalist self, bricked away in some dark corner of my mind, and post some tunes I like that refer to Australia.

1. Great Southern Land.
2. My Island Home.
3. Treaty.
4. Beds are Burning.
5. We Are Australian (Lo-Tel cover).

Songs that I dance too. Hohoho. Anything with a rhythm, so I can do my white man dancing. I literally can't think of anything at the moment. Besides that, I guess I wanna learn how to do the traditional kind of dances, and The Blue Danube might be the best to waltz to, perhaps followed by Waltz of the Flowers :awesome:.

Last edited:

aaad

Pro Adventurer

An absolutely amazing symphonic arrangement of most of the music from FFVII - I binged this second movement so much that it feels like a part of my soul, which is why I'd say I get a sense of belonging listening to it. Skip to 6:07 for my absolute favourite part of the entire three-movement symphony. The whole concert is extremely amazing, so I urge you all to check it out as FFVII fans :3

"Mama" - Jonas Blue

As simple and overplayed this song is, it gives me a great vibe and after I watched the linked British Sign Language cover of it, I feel even more in love with it (plus, both of the people in the video are beautiful af and have gorgeous smiles). I wouldn't say I dance much to it besides shoulder shimmying and looking like a dork punching the air or something :awesome:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
I used to put on
some mornings, and now whenever I listen to it, it reminds me of sitting by the pool on a chilly Saturday morning, trying to catch the sun and watching leaves and other bits float by with a cuppa coffee in my lap.

As for songs that make me dance - SO MANY CHOICES! I'mma list them all because I just want the world to burn dance with me :joy:

!!!B's compilation of Classic Dancefloor Bustas:!!!

And last, but most definitely not least...

I'm basic so sue me hehe

Last edited:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I don't have anything that makes me thing about my house, where I live, or those around me. But the theme did make me think of
, and not just because it's one letter off "home"! "Hope" is a track composed by Jun Maeda on the Tomoyo After soundtrack, a visual novel and part-sequel to Clannad. The themes of the visual novels, and in particular Tomoyo's character, I associate with the concept of "home". This vocal version is a hidden gem found as a bonus track on her vocaloid's album.

As for songs to dance to, it would be impossible to choose one, but have three:

[SPOILER="Memory of Forgathering Dream" by U2 Akiyama]

From Immaterial and Missing Power, the Touhou fighting game. This song has been arranged many times but I chose this one because it mixes styles.
[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Young Hearts" by Make One]
[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER="Everywhere (WasteLand Remix)" by MYNC & Mario Fischetti Ft. Deborah Cox]
[/SPOILER]

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Chevelle are my very most favourite band and I've been listening to them non-stop since I was at school (more than 10 years now holy hell) and so whenever I listen to any of their music it feels a lot like coming home.
was the first of their songs that I came across (in a KH fanfic, no less, I'm ashamed to admit :lol:) so that has the most homey feel to me, I guess.
has also come to hold those homey vibes for me as well, cos it's so damn chill and awesome, plus a ton of fun to sing along to.
And as far as dancey songs, I think anything with a waltz-y rhythm makes me wanna dance? This is a good one, though,
. I'm not much of a dancer but I once wrote a ballroom scene while listening to this, so, close enough. :monster:

Top Bottom