• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS Music Club!

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
GAHHHH okay you're gonna have to not take me too seriously here but when I thought of minimalism I couldn't think of anything for the life of me so I stretched the definition to mean 'basic' and when I think of basic I think of
so there ya go :mon:

Personal Question: Okay this might sound a little silly but the first time I heard 'My Band' by D12 was a really pivotal moment for me LOL. In junior high, my older brother drove me to school every morning and he would always have D12, Eminem, and/or Dr. Dre playing in his car. When I heard 'My Band' for the first time, the lyrics were just so ridiculous and outrageous that it was the first time I remember actually listening to the words in a rap song. From that moment on, I began listening to more and more of D12, and Eminem, and the rest of Shady Records, then more of Dre and Aftermath, which led me to listen to more, and more, and more hip hop music which eventually went on to play a big role in my life, both growing up and today.

I also have really fond memories of that time of my life because it was the first time I really felt bonded with my brother. I started borrowing all his CDs and any new artist he was into, I got into. He went through a phase when he listened to nothing but The Temptations. So, I listened to nothing but The Temptations. At one point he was obsessed with Michael Jackson. So, I became obsessed with Michael Jackson. I was just an annoying little sis, I guess. :mon:

Ghost X

Not really familiar with the minimalist genre, if it could be called that, but apparently that is what Steve Reich does, so here is one of his songs, Sextet :awesome:.

Can't say any music (etc) in particular has changed my life, though I'm sure that without it, life might be a lot different for me. It's an healthy outlet of expression, helps to meditate, I often used it to get in the zone with it in university, and so on. I suppose the critical analysis of it helps with cultural awareness, and informative stuff like that too, as with any form of art.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I have to add this one, it's totally weird and disturbing and dreamy and shit but probably fits the genre description:

Also by googling him I learned he's done another solo album ish thing, also weird, dunno if it's any good :monster:

edit: okay not all of it is minimalistic, it gets rather err, cacophonic.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Double poast!

Is there an artist, a band, an album or song that you credit for changing your life or perspective in a significant way?

Off the top of my head, at the risk of coming across like a broken record, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly is an album that comes to mind as one that changed the way I viewed hip-hop as a genre (and as a vehicle for social healing, cohesion and progress through artistic expression) and changed the way that I spoke about race.

I also have really fond memories of that time of my life because it was the first time I really felt bonded with my brother. I started borrowing all his CDs and any new artist he was into, I got into. He went through a phase when he listened to nothing but The Temptations. So, I listened to nothing but The Temptations. At one point he was obsessed with Michael Jackson. So, I became obsessed with Michael Jackson. I was just an annoying little sis, I guess. :mon:

You are so cute.

aaad

Pro Adventurer

YES, STEVE REICH. I had the opportunity to perform this piece a couple years ago at school, which was real fun to do. I had to pre-record 10 tracks (8 Bb clarinets and 2 bass clarinets) then play the live part over the top of them all.

Minimalism comes in various forms of varying levels of minimal-ness. Some are as basic as Philip Glass' Metamorphosis (no. 2 linked below).

So are built upon the fundamentals of minimalism but expand on it to make a richer sound but still falling back on simple, basic building blocks of music, such as B's favourite Memories from a World of Black and Grey:

https://soundcloud.com/alga-mau/memories-from-a-world-of-black-and-grey-1

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
You are so cute.

NO U

happy-oh-stop-it-you.jpg

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
<insert rhyme about being distracted by E3 here> :okay:

9 June, 2018

theme_of_the_week.png

Food (n.) - any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth..

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

Give me your go-to karaoke tracks!

triva.png

PREVIOUS TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. FREEBIE
    • I couldn&#8217;t confirm this info lmao.
      source
  2. In the late 1950s, which rock&#8217;n&#8217;roll star was only filmed from the waist up because his/her hip swinging was deemed too suggestive?[/B]
    B. Elvis Presley
    • He was giving folks everywhere the vapours.
      source
  3. Complete this lyric:[/B] Blackhole sun, won&#8217;t you come&#8230;]
    Either B or C

THIS WEEK&#8217;S TRIVIA:
  1. Which pop icon was grounded for a whole summer after sneaking out to see David Bowie in concert in his/her youth?
    A. George Michaels
    B. Britney Spears
    C. Prince
    D. Madonna
  2. Complete this lyric from Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8216;Thriller&#8217;:&#8217;Cause this is thriller, thriller night
    A. But we can cuddle close and I can promise you&#8217;ll be alright
    B. And no one&#8217;s gonna save you from the beast about to strike
    C. Girl I can thrill you more than any ghoul would ever dare try
    D. You have to face your fear as you are fighting for your life
  3. The first pop video released in 1975 was what?
    A. &#8216;Fame&#8217; by David Bowie
    B. &#8216;Bohemian Rhapsody&#8217; by Queen
    C. &#8216;Feel Like Makin&#8217; Love&#8217; by Bad Company
    D. &#8216;Rhinestone Cowboy&#8217; by Glen Campbell

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
i cannot help but
remember
an homage to food
and thoughtful travel
to wild​
unapologetic​
passion​
may your soul
rest
in peace

- b b

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
off the top of
my head
my go-to karaoke tracks are

queen - bohemian rhapsody
queen - i was born to love you
gloria gaynor - i will survive
pointer sisters - i'm so excited
bill withers - ain't no sunshine
mama cass - dream a little dream of me
a whole new world duet
tlc - no scrubs
kelly rowland - stole
eurythmics - sweet dreams
nina simone - feeling good
shakira - whenever wherever
aerosmith - i don't wanna miss a thing
linkin park - crawling
no doubt - don't speak
mario - let me love you
israel kamakawiwo'ole - over the rainbow

i go to
karaoke
a lot
ok

- b b

Ghost X

I can only think of one song off the top of my head about food, and that is Peaches, by the President of the United States of America. I recall being a bit disappointed that the band didn't last long, but now that I think of it, I don't think they would have aged well :P. Their music is sooo late 1990s (but still enjoyable).

As for karaoke songs, I can never think of all the songs I like to sing, besides the standard ones that are pretty much on a lot of lists. Can't think of the ones that I like to sing that make people laugh :P.

solo player sab

normie trash
AKA
Sab
Food:

Girl you taste so good to me ;)

Karaoke songs: Oh god THERE'S TOO MANY it's unfair to ask a Filipino this

Every Disney song ever
Every Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera song ever
Every S Club 7 song ever
Pokemon Theme Song
All of Michael Jackson
My Girl - The Temptations
California Love - Tupac
What's my Age Again? - Blink 182
Fat Lip - Sum 41
Kailangan Kita - Gary Valenciano

and many many many more

Last edited:

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
DON'T STOP
NEVER GIVE UP
HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH AND REACH THE TOP
LET THE WORLD SEE WHAT YOU HAVE GOT
BRING IT ALL BACK TO YOU (BRING IT ALL BACK NOW)

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
22 June, 2018
theme_of_the_week.png

The 70s (n.) - the decade between 1970 - 1979. Is often culturally characterised by disco, wide trouser cuffs, game shows, being an era of self-discovery for young people, and ‘the hair’.

Please post a song that you think exemplifies this theme and explain why you picked it. :)

personal_question.png

Give me your top five albums at the moment!

triva.png

PREVIOUS TRIVIA ANSWERS:
  1. D. Madonna
  2. Either B or C
    • I’m generous! Again!
      source
  3. B. ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ by Queen

THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA:
  1. Along with being a talented guitarist, composer, singer, songwriter, and producer, Steve Vai is also an expert on what?
    A. Male stripping
    B. Candle making
    C. Beekeeping
    D. Astrophysics
  2. Pharrell is a huge fan of which sci-fi series?
    A. Star Wars
    B. Star Trek
    C. Fringe
    D. Doctor Who
  3. Steven Van Zandt (of the Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band) wears a bandana to cover what?
    A. Hair loss from a car accident
    B. A scar from a bad fight
    C. A permanent hickey from a night of vigorous sex
    D. Nothing—he just likes his bandana

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
^hOw DaRe Yu pOsT
mY jAmMiTty JaM(bUt
I'vE gOt

Obligatory rock entry here + everything on Queen's A Night At The Opera and Jazz albums because obvi

Aaaand these are cheating a lil cause they were released in the early 80s but early 80s funk exemplified the best of late 70s funk with that touch of synth and it was fiyaaaaaaaa

sLeEve)

- b B

Last edited:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
The Medic Droid's
is all disco-y and retro-sounding, so that totally counts, right? I like it, anyway :D

Albums uhhhh I been liking FOB's M A N I A, Islander's Violence and Destruction, Chevelle's The North Corridor, Starset's Vessels aanndddd Deftones' White Pony, I guess

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Solange - A Seat At The Table
Steve Lacy's Demo
The Internet - Ego Death
Her's - Songs of Her's
Noname - Telefone
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
Wild Nothing - Nocturne

ok this is more than 5 but fuck u

- b B

Ghost X

I think in the popular culture, a song like Stayin' Alive is pretty symbolic of the 1970s. Of course, if it were my ideal world, and popular culture reflected it, it'd be a prog rock song :P.

My favourite albums at the moment? Melody's Echo Chamber's new one has grown on me, but certainly isn't as good as her debut. Otherwise I haven't really been consciously aware of entire albums that have been particularly impressive in recent times. I'd only be citing those I have before that are 2 or more years old. Pond's 2017 album, while nice, is pretty forgettable, etc.

Top Bottom