• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS Store...Actually...Maybe?

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
The mistranslations, while fun, would pose as much of a problem since it's a direct quote?

I dunno. I need to have a big "I'm not a lawyer" bumper sticker at the end of my posts in this thread. :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
The mistranslations, while fun, would pose as much of a problem since it's a direct quote?

I dunno. I need to have a big "I'm not a lawyer" bumper sticker at the end of my posts in this thread. :monster:

This says no. But it doesn't account for mistranslations.

Most other sources seem to agree. A quote so general as "this guy are sick" could probably play the legal mumbo-jumbo and get away with it, but again, that's a matter of how devious we wish to be.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
It's hard to say and I intend to ask a close friend regarding that when I get the chance.

Quotes are a very touchy subject and generally its just safe to stay away but in this case
a) It's mistranslated and
b) It's not the entire quote.

In my head it would be the equivalent of selling a shirt that said
"Your father who wart in Heav"

lol

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
^ Give us this day our daily head.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I dunno. What I'm getting at is, while it's technically a mistranslation, it's still a direct quote from the game. A noteable one too. To me, it'd be about the equivalent as "A winner is you" or "All your base are belong to us"

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
^ I don't think it quite hits those levels of fame. It's not even "you spoony bard" territory. But I gather your argument is mostly the principle of the matter.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I dunno. What I'm getting at is, while it's technically a mistranslation, it's still a direct quote from the game. A noteable one too. To me, it'd be about the equivalent as "A winner is you" or "All your base are belong to us"

It just comes down to how Jason put it in a post earlier "How devious do we want to be" (paraphrasing lul).

The quote is in a much more grey area than some of the other ideas passed around in this thread both in the legal and illegal spectrum of things. Though I would wager its a safe bet especially with how Pixel presented it with the basic quote and pixel art hand cursor thing.

If anything its a 1000000% less blatant than the one X just linked lol.
If anyone is interested in helping out you could help me browse

http://www.bitlaw.com/index.html

:D to double check though I'm still leaning that the quote is rather safe. None the less I'll still double check with my friend at TGN tomorrow-ish.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
This is dangerous territory we're probably better off staying away from to avoid harming the site's image. There may not be as much we can do with original content but we wouldn't have to worry about legal issues that way.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Fair enough X. :monster:

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or nothin, I would love a shirt with Pixel's design, but I'm jus sayin. /shrug

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Like X mentioned, we ran an Amazon Associates webshop for some time - basically it's a page hosted by Amazon and configured by us to match the site's theme, and we set which products are listed - Amazon does everything, we get a comission (which was IIRC between 5% and 15% or thereabouts? IIRC we earned about $80 from it over time, which was pretty much without us maintaining it or keeping it updated much).

I think continuing with that - referral links or shops to Amazon or similar parties - would be the safe option. That way, we're basically just advertisers for those stores - and they get to deal with all the legal repercussions.

Amazon will work fine for the games and part of the merchandise, IMHO. If we integrate it into the front page and preferably make it relevant to the articles, that would be a double bonus. I do think it should be discussed with donators though; technically it's ads, and the donator promise is that you don't get ads. We could also just make it a user-configurable setting, that way we'd get guests and whoever didn't turn it off to still get us some commission.

As for things like custom T-shirts, I'm sure there's a similar service for that too; I'm not going to order shirts and have them delivered to my house for re-shipping, that's probably going to inflate the price far too much :monster:. It would mean we'd only get a few percent in commission, but at the same time if members of TLS would sell their designs via a site like that, they would get a bit of money too.

I'd like to add "Everybody wins", but in reality, only the stores themselves and the management and shareholders there would, :monster:. [/cynical]

Pixel

The Pixie King
I could just make my own redbubble store, if that would be easier. Then I'm accountable, not TLS.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I could just make my own redbubble store, if that would be easier. Then I'm accountable, not TLS.

So... you want TLS to be the legitimate front for your mob organization? :D

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I want this to be a thing but I started looking into it last time and getting a response from S-E was a no-no. Wankers.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I like the mug, but then I don't have anyone who I'd want to drink in front of and attract to the site, like my family.

*sudden vision of my mother joining TLS*

6a753d0b59340e1578ea10bce5d5f31b.jpg

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Who designed the symbol in the logo? It reminds me of something I drew once and belatedly realized resembled a musical symbol. Specifically,
Music-segno.png

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^That symbol appears in FFVII itself, or at least in the credits that roll before the opening sequence (while the FF theme is playing) I never really knew what it was meant to represent though.

EDIT:
hqdefault.jpg

Pixel

The Pixie King
Its meant to be 2 Fs

I've ordered both shirts for myself to see what the print quality is like. I'll let you know

Top Bottom