Top Secrets Battle Tips: Bahamut and Ifrit.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Hey everyone!

So, I'm finally facing off against the Top Secrets in Chapter 17, and, boy, am I getting my ass royally handed to me. I can comfortably get through Shiva, Big Chocobo and Leviathan but that Bahamut/Ifrit duo is just a solid brick wall I can't seem to beat. Anyone had some tips or tricks on beating Bahamut/Ifrit (or Pride and Joy, if I ever get that far)?

Just for context, all my characters are level 50, all my materia is maxed out, and I have all the manuscripts except those in Chapter 17 and Chapter 18.

Thanks!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Hey everyone!

So, I'm finally facing off against the Top Secrets in Chapter 17, and, boy, am I getting my ass royally handed to me. I can comfortably get through Shiva, Big Chocobo and Leviathan but that Bahamut/Ifrit duo is just a solid brick wall I can't seem to beat. Anyone had some tips or tricks on beating Bahamut/Ifrit (or Pride and Joy, if I ever get that far)?

Just for context, all my characters are level 50, all my materia is maxed out, and I have all the manuscripts except those in Chapter 17 and Chapter 18.

Thanks!

It’s been a while, so I don’t remember how exactly I beat Bahamut... I remember making sure to re-up my barriers before he casts Mega-Flare. Also, having master elemental-fire in the armour makes Ifrit a healer rather than a threat. I think you can get two elemental materia in the game. Good luck!

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
I did it not so long ago, beat them on my first try and I had not touched the game for a long time. I had help. Used a guide for how I should set up my characters before going into battle. I actually felt that the battle against Bahamut and Ifrit was much more easier than the battle against Leviathan.

Here's the recommended setup for this challenge: Source: PSNProfiles
  1. Cloud
    • Weapon (Twin Stinger): Healing, MP Up, HP Up
    • Armour (Supreme Bracer): Elemental-Ice, Revival
    • Accessory: Champion Belt
  2. Tifa
    • Weapon (Mythril Claws) : HP Up, MP Up, Healing, Barrier, Revival
    • Armour (Cog Bangle): Elemental-Ice, Resistance
    • Accessory: Champion Belt
  3. Aerith
    • Weapon (Guard Stick): Time, Barrier, MP Up, Magic Up, HP Up
    • Armour (Rune Armlet): Magnify-Healing, Revival (Magnify-Healing lets healing skills to affect (heal) all 3 members of your party)
    • Accessory: Healing Carcanet

During the 'Three-Person Team VS Top Secrets' VR challenge, you will face these enemies:
  • Shiva
    • The Elemental-Ice link on the armor will make you immune to ice attacks, therefore it will be a walk in the park.
  • Fat Chocobo
    • Easiest boss here, nothing different from the VR simulation. Just more HP.
  • Leviathan
    • Use Manaward if he uses Tidal Wave and you're not able to stagger it on time.
  • Bahamut
    • The hardest fight in the game. When the count goes down to one, Bahamut will unleash Megaflare and deal 9,999 magic damage to all 3 members of your party. You can only survive it by staggering him on time (pretty much impossible - although on the second Megaflare is manageable), by using Manaward or Manawall (Barrier Materia) if it comes up on time or by having Reprieve (when hit by a fatal spell or atack, you survive with 1HP) on the level 6 weapons (that's why the choice of Weapons). Save the Limit Breaks (Ascension and Dolphin Flurry) to take Ifrit down ASAP when it spawns.
  • Pride and Joy Prototype
    • And surprise! It is not actually the hardest boss in the game... surprising, huh? Fight is similar to Malboro, get on its back as often as possible and defeat him from the safety of being behind it.

Good Luck!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I wouldn't recommend Ice-Elemental on your armor just for Shiva. Since Shiva is first, losing to her isn't that big of a time loss. Combo your Elemental materia with Fire as previously suggested.

Stack HP Plus materia is help take the edge off Megaflare. Give everyone a Healing and Revive materia since you aren't allowed to use items. Combo Magnify with Barrier. Keep switching party members to keep Bahamut distracted with the AI.

Don't give up!

Edit: Equip whatever Healing Carcanets you have. That'll boost your Healing and Revive spells.

Last edited:

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Hey! Thank you all for your advice. Last night, I did it. I beat Pride and Joy.

I, ultimately, used Aerith, Cloud, Tifa with Time, Prayer, First Strike Materia, ATB Boost, Fury Rings, Barrier+Magnify, Lightening and as many MPs and HPs Ups (with a preference for MP Ups) I could cram into whatever remaining materia slots were left. Additionally, the Fire + Elemental in Armor was immensely helpful especially that my elementals were maxed out so that I'd absorb fire.

Ultimately, it came down to using Arcane Ward and spamming -aga spells while switching rapidly between characters to attack Bahamut to build up continuous ATB to continue using -aga spells.

Now I have the Gotterdammerung and it is EPIC!!!

Top Bottom