Trace of Two Pasts novel discussion

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I’m sorry @cold_spirit, I find that the only way to not have BS appearing in my TL is to put my account in private and follow only very few fans who like BOTH Aerith and Tifa and aren’t into discussing the LTD ? Really right now Twitter is really toxic though - with some people accusing Hayashi to have a bad Japanese when she’s Japanese and all the bullshit that comes with such an incredible novel for Tifa… the bad faith going on around is exceptionally exhausting ?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No matter what they claim, the malicious and irrational shippers over identify with their preferred woman to the point of perceiving truly absurd notions as personal threats -- e.g. pissing contests over which woman's upbringing is more tragic and sympathetic in this book ... when the point of it all is that they're sharing these painful backgrounds and perseverances with one another, bonding over how much they have in common, and constructing ever greater respect for one another.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
No matter what they claim, the malicious and irrational shippers over identify with their preferred woman to the point of perceiving truly absurd notions as personal threats -- e.g. pissing contests over which woman's upbringing is more tragic and sympathetic in this book ... when the point of it all is that they're sharing these painful backgrounds and perseverances with one another, bonding over how much they have in common, and constructing ever greater respect for one another.
No, no, female characters are supposed to be pit against each other always, you’re doing this wrong

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
KindofBlue said:
No, no, female characters are supposed to be pit against each other always, you’re doing this wrong
I was thinking that people would be happy with Tifa's characterization in the book because for years people have been calling her "NPC" cos she doesn't have a magic-girl-save-the-world role. I was so pleased her background now has a surprisingly modern (by Japanese standards) take on it...and yet I read "Tifa is already popular enough as a fan service character, she doesn't need a novella to white knight for her."

What?

The fact that @aitaikimochi bowed out of translating because people were accusing her of misinformation then having to cite a "Cloti" aligned translator and a "Clerith" aligned translator to take on the job made me spit my coffee.

Can someone summon back, say, hitoshura of the old days pls lol. These twitter kids are getting wild.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
*Somewhere in the far distance, you hear a miserable cry ring out.

"TIFA IS ALREADY POPULAR! WHY CAN'T JESSIE GET HER OWN NOVEL?!?! WHY IS IS SHE JUST A SIDE CHARACTER IN TIFA'S STORY!?"

*A shudder runs down your spine. Some things are best left forgotten.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
*Somewhere in the far distance, you hear a miserable cry ring out.

"TIFA IS ALREADY POPULAR! WHY CAN'T JESSIE GET HER OWN NOVEL?!?! WHIS IS SHE JUST A SIDE CHARACTER IN TIFA'S STORY!?"

*A shudder runs down your spine. Some things are best left forgotten.
Incidentally, a YouTuber who makes a lot of FF7 videos named BltzZ has been getting harassed for not using Jessie in his thumbnails, so he pulled a reverse Uno 5D chess troll with his latest video…

(warning: prolonged exposure to the comments section may kill brain cells)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Incidentally, a YouTuber who makes a lot of FF7 videos named BltzZ has been getting harassed for not using Jessie in his thumbnails, so he pulled a reverse Uno 5D chess troll with his latest video…

Wow, you-know-who still gaining notoriety and harassing people over Jessie. jfc

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

I saw that too! I checked their twitters, and whoaaaaaaa, am I glad I don't have a twitter account lol. Geez, people act so childish

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I saw that too! I checked their twitters, and whoaaaaaaa, am I glad I don't have a twitter account lol. Geez, people act so childish
I thought I was safe from this by not being on twitter until I saw a familiar face popping up across multiple comment sections of that guy’s videos…just kill me already

waw

Pro Adventurer
Will this novel be translated into English either by folks here or by Square?

I'm reminded of some early story notes that Aerith and Tifa were supposed to talk along the journey and reavel that Cloud lied about the Nibelehim incident, that Tifa knew he wasn't there and they play along to not break his psyche. (Was this the Ultimania Early Scenario Files?) I'm glad to see they've taken this unfinished idea and built it up a bit more and modernized it.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I feel like I fell into another reality reaing those comments.

"So I used to be forum friends with Jairus before he went totally off the deep end about Jessie and got himself banned. I just found out about how he harasses you about your thumbnails lol. Jesus Christ, the fact he's still at it after over a year is pretty scary."

Dude dude dude dude. I found ya on there! lol

I wonder if Remake will keep the plot point from Before Crisis that it was Tifa's cat that guided Zangan to the Nibel Reactor* where he found the wounded Tifa. On one hand it would be a neat counter-payoff that the "bad" cat ends up partially responsible for saving Tifa's life and on the other hand I don't think the cat works well in the dark, dramatic scenario of the Nibelheim incident.

*Note: Neither Zangan nor Tifa's cat have character portraits in the original gameplay footage. The uploader added the portraits in conjunction with adding the translations.

Top Bottom