• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Trace of Two Pasts novel discussion

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
Since Nojima was able to casually include an event a little further along in the story, I'm assuming the plot scenario is set in stone for the next part by now.
Definitely. There was also the thought that now that Destiny was changed that the Kalm flashback might be totally different this time around but just from this line here:
Tifa also didn't share her story about the Nibelhiem incident, saying only; "just like what Cloud said in Kalm", she also mentions she is not ready to talk about it (stopping at where Sephiroth shows up) because those memories are still too painful.
Makes it sound that it went down exactly like it did in the OG

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Definitely. There was also the thought that now that Destiny was changed that the Kalm flashback might be totally different this time around but just from this line here:
Tifa also didn't share her story about the Nibelhiem incident, saying only; "just like what Cloud said in Kalm", she also mentions she is not ready to talk about it (stopping at where Sephiroth shows up) because those memories are still too painful.
Makes it sound that it went down exactly like it did in the OG
Didn't even notice this! In a way this is the biggest piece of confirmed info we have to date about part 2. :lol:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The Ferry was changed to be more lavish in Crisis Core. It's also a proper ferry now rather than a random boat.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Cargo_Ship_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

I wouldn't have assumed it was changed in Crisis Core so much as it's unlikely to be the exact same boat :monster:

Either that or this story is in the OG timeline rather than in Remake timeline...

It says "Final Fantasy VII Remake" on the cover of the story and characters like Marle are mentioned. I think it's safe to say this story is meant to specifically supplement Remake. :awesomonster:

Someone on another social media posted about much they hate this new novel and how it's the worst addition to the Compilation since DoC.
I'm not here to disagree with them per se, but what I'm wondering is this:
Aside from the fact that this new novel adds a huge amount of evidence to the "Cloti is canon" argument, what else is in it that someone could dislike?

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Aside from the fact that this new novel adds a huge amount of evidence to the "Cloti is canon" argument, what else is in it that someone could dislike?
I'm wondering the same; perhaps it's the fact that the novel leaves much less room for imagination. Before it came out, we could have theorized about the age of the Shinra manor, or the size of Nibelheim, or Tifa's early days in Midgar, or the kind of people Aerith and Ifalna interacted with in Shinra HQ etc. But now that the lore has been enriched, and the curiosity has been satisfied, what else is left to do?

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Calling it now, some shipper is gonna argue that the book isn’t canon because it only applies to the remake (if it hasn’t been done already)

And the rebuttal, of course, is that "canon" is whatever version of reality the writers are currently sticking to.

Just ask Gene:
And – okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one – after he got TNG [Star Trek: The Next Generation] going, he... well... he sort of decided that some of The Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in The Original Series, and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it.[5]
— Paula Block, 2005

Humming

Pro Adventurer
@Torrie honestly that's a good point, but given the fact that (probably) those who are complaining about the novel haven't read it yet and only know its content through Twitter translations... I doubt that their problem with it is that they have less room to speculate, but that they don't want to accept what the novel states as confirmed.

I know it says in the novel that the Nibelheim reactor has been decomissioned, but it still seems odd to me that there isn't a major Shinra presence in Nibelheim, given that their third biggest asset (after mako and Aerith) is being kept in the reactor AND it's full of makinoids in pods, which seem to be some kind of ongoing experiment. Are there no scientists monitoring her for signs of activity? Maintaining the temperature and salinity of her tube so that she doesn't decay? Are there no soldiers keeping watching on the door so that terrorists like Avalanche or Genesis don't break in and steal her? Are Shinra really relying on "we've kept her so top secret nobody knows she's there, and there's absolutely no way anyone could ever find on. It's not like some inquisitive kids are going to come in exploring, or hikers seeking shelter from the rain. Like that could ever happen!"

It's almost as if they've forgotten Jenova is in there. Is that possible?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It's been theorized before that Hojo specifically sent Sephiroth there to see what would happen if he was exposed to Jenova (Hojo was on the scene incredibly quickly after everything went down.) The whole conceit of a broken valve in the reactor producing monsters may have just been cover for some experiment he had in mind. I assume the reactor was actually closely monitored.

To run an experiment, you kind of need scientists there doing calibrations and recording observations and generally doing science stuff. I just can't get over the fact that they left Jenova there completely unguarded. If it were just experiments, then yes, maybe, I can see Hojo being left to do whatever he likes, like seal the place up and then open it ten years later to see what emerged - but this is Jenova. President Shinra values Jenova. Were Turks really just popping in from time to time to check that she hadn't disintegrated yet? Apart from anything else, they need Jenova to make their super soldiers. What if somebody, like Wutai, got hold of the secret and took her?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
To run an experiment, you kind of need scientists there doing calibrations and recording observations and generally doing science stuff. I just can't get over the fact that they left Jenova there completely unguarded. If it were just experiments, then yes, maybe, I can see Hojo being left to do whatever he likes, like seal the place up and then open it ten years later to see what emerged - but this is Jenova. President Shinra values Jenova. Were Turks really just popping in from time to time to check that she hadn't disintegrated yet? Apart from anything else, they need Jenova to make their super soldiers. What if somebody, like Wutai, got hold of the secret and took her?

Well thankfully Jenova's location was a well kept secret. :monster:

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
LicoriceAllSorts said:
To run an experiment, you kind of need scientists there doing calibrations and recording observations and generally doing science stuff. I just can't get over the fact that they left Jenova there completely unguarded.
I dunno if the devs gave it that much thought through lol. In FFIX the Black Mage factory (supplying the whole of Alexandria manufactured super-soldiers) was just lying casually under a windmill with a small chocobo ranch lol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
But see, no one would know who/what Jenova is. It's top secret; Hojo has done an extremely thorough job of ensuring no one outside the Science Department and relevant executives know what it is or it's location.

Hell, Genesis spent years trying to finding it, attacking Shinra sites all over, and he still failed to obtain it's cells. That's why Red XIII calls Jenova Hojo's greatest treasure.

Top Bottom