• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Translated Interviews from the Kaitai Shinsho (AKA Dismantled) Complete Guide

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Going to wrap up this thread and consolidate the sprawl with links to the documents.

Dismantled Staff Interviews:
English
Japanese

Dismantled Character Profiles:
English
Japanese

Ultimania Omega Character Profiles:
English
Japanese

Ultimania Omega Story Playback:
English
Japanese

Ultimania Omega Truth Explained:
English
Japanese

As a bonus, here's a translation of the creators interview at the back of the Ultimania Omega. You may be familiar with bits and pieces of this from posts and articles around The Lifestream, but to my knowledge this is the first time the full interview has been translated.
English
Japanese

TurquoiseHammer

Pro Adventurer
Didn't want to start a new thread for this
Translations for the World Guide section of the Ultimania Omega
English
Japanese

These won't make much sense without the UO open in front of you. Round_2_Gaming is working on the English scans and I'll update this post when they're up. This is a really fascinating section though with some unexpected lore tidbits.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Do you think this ties into Remake’s lore at all? Do you think the Rebirth in the last line has any significance? I would have definitely said yes, but I can’t figure out how Asvent Children fits if Aerith’s appearance bringing out Lifestream somehow restarted the world, rebirthing it anew, and hence Remake begins.

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
Do you think this ties into Remake’s lore at all? Do you think the Rebirth in the last line has any significance? I would have definitely said yes, but I can’t figure out how Asvent Children fits if Aerith’s appearance bringing out Lifestream somehow restarted the world, rebirthing it anew, and hence Remake begins.

I think if you can find lore he writes in here somewhere else, then you can maybe see it as something that ties in? It's hard to say because, as Benny said, it's his original interpretation. Most of his works are referred in the same way, and they only seem to be somewhat canon when he is directly acknowledged by the creator. An example would be SaGa and FFXIII. He has been writing for SaGa for a long time though, and the only reason the latter happened seems to be because he and Daisuke Watanabe share a personal connection.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/11056946.html

Other than that, both his FFVII and FFX stuff seemed to have been ignored by what came after. FFX we can't exactly confirm since nobody did a fan translation of those novels, but we still have his staff quotes and discussions from Japanese fans to go off.

Considering that Tabata was able to see an early copy of AC during the development of CC, it was likely the same for the BentStuff staff so at most he would have tried to tie it into that, which it does look like he did. There are also Ultimania Omega pages that hint at Rufus's survival, so it would make sense that they at least had a general idea of would happen in AC.

There are some things he unintentionally predicted that we would get a kick out of while Turq was translating this, such as his use of the term "hollow" or mentioning whispers. The latter is of course a different word since they are called feelers in the Japanese.

Last edited:

waw

Pro Adventurer
Thanks so much for all this wonderful work. After reading through this material, a few curious things pop out to me worth noting for FF7 lore nuts. You all probably realized them , but here's some thoughts.

Going to wrap up this thread and consolidate the sprawl with links to the documents.

Ultimania Omega Character Profiles:
English
Japanese

Ultimania Omega Truth Explained:
English
Japanese

So from these two, here's what stands out:

1. From Truth Explained: There was a transcontinental war that Shinra rose out of. I think this thing can be seen as not the Wutai War given the details we know of that, but maybe Wutai was also involved. Seems to be during the (Junon) Republic Era (that we now know of).

2. Reeve is cannonically an Inspire - meaning that Cait Sith isn't a robot. It's a "magical" ability. Being in the Ultimania, I think we can take this as canon. (I still see people asking how he does this, if Cait Sith is a robot, etc).

3. There is emphasis on the Japanese "I" pronoun for each character. (Watashi or Ore). This seems to emphasize the Sephiroth differences way back when. Interestingly, many youtubers and other Lore Enthusiasts believe it's kind of a new deal/catch. Interesting that Remake is really using some of this core material still.

4. Other Anti-Shinra organizations exist(ed) besides Avalanche.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Wait I thought this thread was for the Kaitai Shinsho Guide not the Ultimania Omega? Aren’t those two different things?

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Great job on that Maiden translation. It flows really nicely whereas the previous translation felt a bit stiff (not hating on it, translation is hard especially with weird egg metaphors). It’s a better story than I remember it being. Kind of invites a sense of nostalgia for a time when the lore was so much simpler.

Top Bottom