• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Translation of the original japanese game project aka How to wind up flunkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I like how the last pages of this thread were back- and forwards bickering / discussion on who meant what with small offhand comments. Didn't we get over that back with 'koibito' and/or 'flunkies'? Srsly :monster:.

Calling an idea dumb is a blunt way of saying 'I do not consider your idea a good addition and/or subtraction from X', but the basics are the same. I think the whole idea of re-translating FFVII isn't very smart, and the idea of blatantly changing stuff around where they shouldn't, adding things that aren't there, and removing things that belong there, flat out dumb. Yea? Nay? Anyone disagree with that? Anyone insulted by that?

I doubt it. To insult someone, you first have to insult him or his ideas directly (i.e. 'your idea so-and-so is dumb' instead of 'the idea of so-and-so is dumb'), and the other party has to be insulted. If that happens, the insulted party should report said post and continue with the discussion, skipping that particular bit. Difficult? Nope, but there's people that like to whine / bawww about it for a dozen pages on various forums.

Asdf, I don't even know why I'm posting here. Is the original topic of this thread still valid? If so, the discussion on dumb / noodz / etc will be split, if not, closed.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
OMFG

Now I'm debating with him over Soft. He's removing Soft because it's not accurate and it needs to be Golden Needle. Soft is in all the other FF's and I've no idea why he's changing it considering he went and changed the materia spells (Bolt 1, 2, 3 -> Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga) for continuity with the other games.

I think he's just disagreeing at this point because he hates me, and I handled that post maturely when I suggested it too. :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Eh, he has a point on that actually. They *are* called Gold Needles in every FF there's been. I have no idea why they localized them to "soft" because they are in actuality...a golden needle you stick into the stone that causes the petrification to go away.

It's one of those localization things that really has no basis in the original text and stuff. I mean, he can call them that if he wants to. They were called Gold Needles in FFIII, FFIV, FFV, and FF Tactics.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Eh, he has a point on that actually. They *are* called Gold Needles in every FF there's been. I have no idea why they localized them to "soft" because they are in actuality...a golden needle you stick into the stone that causes the petrification to go away.

It's one of those localization things that really has no basis in the original text and stuff. I mean, he can call them that if he wants to. They were called Gold Needles in FFIII, FFIV, FFV, and FF Tactics.

They got called soft because of space limitations and because the cure stoning. Hence, Soft.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
That's how I figured it as. :monster:

Also, it seems like Soft isn't your typical translational error, it was used in quite a few FF's afterwords, meaning that it was a deliberate and conscious input by all the different teams, no?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I like Golden Needle better as well.

German localization uses that too. Well, except in FFVII, since the German translation is based on the English one.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
McChanny said:
I'm McChanny by day and Silvers by night.
That's not what you tell me to call you by nigh—

Never mind.

I can't believe this is still going on. But I have changed my usernote in honor of the epicness of it all.

That is all. Please continue with the inanity. Thank you.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The animation is a gold needle, isn't it?

What did the last English FF release use?

I don't mean to bump this dreadful topic, but in answer to your question, Soft was used in FFs VII - X-2 (As well as FFTA).

Gold Needle was used in I-VI, Tactics and XII

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Golden Needle wasn't used in the original translation of FFVI, nor was it used in the original translation of FFIV. Of course, the original translation of FFIV was a pile of shit, but my point stands.

It probably wasn't used in the original of FFI either, but I can't remember enough of the game to say for sure.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Golden Needle wasn't used in the original translation of FFVI, nor was it used in the original translation of FFIV. Of course, the original translation of FFIV was a pile of shit, but my point stands.

It probably wasn't used in the original of FFI either, but I can't remember enough of the game to say for sure.

Well, not 'shit', as it was better than a lot of what it could be compared against at the time, but yeah, not good.

FF1 was soft as well.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
"Fighting when mist will freeze you with Breath"? Then again I guess the standard before that was "10th enemy has the bomb," so yeah, fair point :monster:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Can I just say I've spent the last couple of hours reading this thread and its honestly the most hilarious thing I've ever read, its actually brilliant.

On a side note I think this guy's idea of a translation is ridiculous. I've been reading the stuff on qhimm as well and it seems to me like he's not trying to translate it but change it completely, seriously there's trying to find a more accurate translation and then there's wanting to remove a character, check every limit break, spell, weapon, item and quote and make it even more baffling.

I just don't know why he can't understand that although yeah FF7 was sketchy in places, the reason games are localized is to make the plot easier in other regions...hence the word localized...His direct japanese translations are just even more befuddling,...anyways I know thats an incredibly late arguement but I just had to get it off my chest.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
The above statements pretty much summarize the debates on flunkies, soft and Cait Sith's purpose in the world. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So last week I replayed FF7 on the PSN download and I discovered that the word flunkies appears again! ^_^

It's at the very end of Disc 2, right after the Highwind sprouts the rocket engines. Cid starts to lose control and the other Highwind crew runs out to help him,

Cid said:
Get outta here flunkies! I thought I told you to go home!

Any idea what the japanese is there, hito? I'm sure it isn't 分身 this time around.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Get out of here black-hooded men slash clones aka doubles! I thought I told you to go home!

That's what some fan translations will be translating it. :awesome:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
So last week I replayed FF7 on the PSN download and I discovered that the word flunkies appears again! ^_^

It's at the very end of Disc 2, right after the Highwind sprouts the rocket engines. Cid starts to lose control and the other Highwind crew runs out to help him,

Any idea what the japanese is there, hito? I'm sure it isn't 分身 this time around.
You're right :monster:

シド「何だ、てめえら! 実家へ帰れって言ったじゃねえか!」

He just uses a rude way to refer to another person (or some explanation that is actually good :awesome: ).

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
While it's amusing to see how much of a blatant hypocrite DLPB still is, I don't think it was really necessary to create another topic about this. You probably could've just bumped the old one. In fact, if people want I'll just goan merge them.

That said, I agree with the general consensus, LAWL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom