Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) (2020)

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I know everyone’s still hyped over the FF7 remake, but is anyone picking up Square Enix’s other 2020 remake of one of their mid-’90s classics? For those unaware, Square Enix finally brought out an international version of Seiken Densetsu 3 (聖剣伝説3, literally translated as Holy Sword Legend 3), the 1995 sequel to Secret of Mana, in 2019. Before then, the only way to play it outside Japan had been a fan translation brought out in the early 2000s.

Then, this year, they’ve remade it. Fully. In 3D. It’s out today.

It looks fucking beautiful.

So did the original game, mind you – it was a masterpiece of sprite artwork, the likes of which have seldom been matched. The designers of this remake had a massive set of shoes to fill when updating the engine to 3D, and by all appearances, they’ve pulled it off.

Obviously, this isn’t as high-budget or as high-profile an event as the Final Fantasy VII remake, but TBH, I think I’m just as hyped for this, if not more, partly because it’s on a platform I can actually play today, and partly because Trials has been one of my favourite games since I first played it in 2002.

Part of the charm is the replay value. There’s an almost infinite number of party combinations and class changes possible, and the beginning and end of the game are different depending on who your lead party member is. Part of it is the spectacular music. Part of it is the charming world and cast of characters. And the game’s just a lot of fun.

(I will advise that you select the main party member’s foil as an additional party member. That is, if Angela or Duran is the main character, then both Angela and Duran should be in your party; if Riesz or Hawkeye is the main character, then both Riesz and Hawkeye should be in your party; and if Charlotte or Kevin is the main character, then both Charlotte and Kevin should be in your party. You get a lot more character development this way that you’d miss out on otherwise.)

Anyway, if this is as good as it looks, I’ll probably end up sinking at least 100 hours into it, especially seeing as I probably haven’t played the original in some 15 years. I’m curious if anyone else is picking it up, or if anyone played the fan translation of the original. I probably won’t be able to start playing this today, but I’m almost certain to pick it up and start it within the next few days.

(ETA: Due to a typo, I erroneously cited the release date of the original game as 1994; it was 1995. I regret the error.)

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Oof. I knew about this months ago, but didn’t even think about the fact that those might exist. A bit too late now. Rip, as the kids say.

(I just assumed you’d have heard of this; otherwise maybe I’d have thought to bring it up to you. Then again, maybe I wouldn’t have, as I’ve been pretty busy the last month or so, and I probably wasn’t thinking deeply enough about this remake to realise that of course it’s something you’d have been interested in. Mea culpa.)

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I picked up the demo a while ago, it was pretty good and surprisingly faithful. Will pick it up soon.

My old lineup was absolutely sick w/ physical damage so I'm gonna try it again:
Hawkeye - Nightblade (Dark/Dark) - nerfer
Kevin - God Hand (Light/Light) - late game healer (so it was rough in the early stages iirc)
Riesz - Star Lancer (Light/Dark) - buffer

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Well I started this. Party is Angela, Duran, and Carlie (yeah fight me game) I think I'm at about five hours so far. Angela is great. About to head through the golden road on the way to Duran's home town.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I lost to the door wall thing because everyone died except Carlie and I was out of Cups of Wishes and my Faerie Walnuts weren't working so I kept spamming them to try to recover MP then lost ?

Top Bottom