• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Ultimania Alpha - Story Mode Summaries (Spoiler Warning)

Schala-Kitty

Pro Adventurer
Okay, I hope we've weeded out all of the people who don't wish to be spoiled with that title. Alright then, so I don't have a copy of the book myself yet, but I found a set of transcribed story summaries via FF7AC Reunion and I just had to take a stab at translating them. A couple of plot points are covered, which is why I threw up the spoiler warning. But its still pretty interesting to have the basic shape of the plot...

Warrior ~ "Guided by the Light": Under the guidance of Cosmos, Warrior comes to learn of the state of the world caught in the whirl of chaos. He sets out alone to find the one thing that can save the world - The Crystals. But along the way, the troops of Chaos attempt to knock him from the noble path. If the "truth" they preach is correct, then how can the Warrior continue to believe in the "Light?"

Firion ~ "To Finish a Dream": He begins his journey in the company of Cecil, Cloud, and Tidus. At first, he believes that "To find the Crystals will solve everything," but as he walks many paths, and meets new friends, his views gradually begin to change. He cannot believe in any dream but his own - and he sees the lessons of "The Wild Rose" as the key to the truth.

Onion ~ "A Boy with Pride in his Heart": The Onion Knight is a young man who is wise beyond his few years. He is confident in the merits he has gained along the way, but hides the fact that he still harbors some of the fears of youth, and holds the anxiety behind his actions close to his chest. As they search for the Crystals, Onion comes to draw strength from his traveling companion, Terra. However, just as he is truly taking pride in himself, it might not be enough for them...

Cecil ~ "The Lunar Knights": While he is traveling together with Firion and Tidus, Cecil has his misgivings about if obtaining the Crystals is truly the answer. Then right before him, appears his brother Golbez, aligned with the troops of Chaos. Sometimes, his words appear to be advice for his younger brother, but is it only a trap to confuse Cecil? ...Thus Cecil finds himself torn between his mission as one serving Cosmos and the emotions he carries for his brother.

Bartz ~ "A Journey, Courage, and a Friend": Wishing to transform this crisis into a bit of fun, he and his fellow warrior Zidane propose to have a contest to see who will find the Crystals first. However, he is caught in their enemies' trap, and is flown off to the home base of the troops of Chaos. But he does not lose heart, and in escaping Bartz is triumphant in finding the Crystals. But on the path ahead, a greater trap may be awaiting him.

Terra ~ "Who does this Power Benefit?": Possessing a gentle, calm heart, Terra also wields a great magical power in contrast to this kind nature, a power she cannot properly control. As she begins her journey to locate the Crystals, her cheerful companion Onion acts as a foil to her, but along the way a mysterious memory of hers suddenly vanishes. Soon, she will have to confront the truth hidden within this missing time to win it back...

Cloud ~ "Predestination": While he finds Firion, Cecil, and Tidus to be reliable enough as comrades, Cloud finds himself becoming depressed. Why is he fighting? How long will he continue fighting? But he finds himself still struggling to find and understand those answers. Then, Cloud finds a clue amid a discussion with his comrades. However, a "shadow" form his past seeks to block his progress.

Squall ~ "A Lion Wandering the Wasteland": Always the highest of achievers, he finds companions to be unnecessary. With this in mind, Squall separates himself from the other warriors of Cosmos, and plans to find the Crystals on his own. Those traveling with Bartz find him, and express their concern over Squall, and he promises to meet up with them again, even though this concern over his well-being leaves Squall feeling awkward. However, his heart is unconsciously softening....

Zidane ~ "The Investigation of Life": "A competition to see who will find the Crystals first..." That is what Zidane offered his traveling companion Bartz. However, Bartz is caught in a trap laid out for Zidane, and falls into the hands of the troops of Chaos. Considering this to be his fault, Zidane is driven to right it by his feelings of worry. Zidane searches far and wide to help him, but is he only driven to protect his friend due to this sense of dread?

Tidus ~ "The Way to Continue to Tomorrow": Though he is seeking the Crystals, Tidus sets his sights on another target. The "detested old man" who treated him like brat with that swagger - he wants to take on Jecht. With his eyes set so firmly upon this goal, his traveling companions worry where this path is leading him with each and every step forward. But, Tidus' true feelings about his father, almost unnoticed by himself, are still sleeping the depths of his heart.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That sounds cool, it's interesting how they paired up characters, I wonder how they chose.

And here comes the ensuing storm (and rightly so) about Cloud being depressed again. I was one of the few defending Cloud's right to be depressed in Advent Children, but this is getting ridiculous. They obviously know how to make him a badass (Kingdom Hearts II, Dirge of Cerberus, much of FF7), why do they refuse to do so?

Beyond that they seem to be sticking to the characters' personalities, and it should still be a lot of fun. Thanks Schala.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I love how each of the individual stories of the heroes is a miniature of their respective story from the game and world they come from. Plus, I love how Cloud, Tidus, Firion and Cecil are their own little party. That's a pretty badass team imho :monster:

But yeah, I love it. Warrior of Light, Cecil, Cloud and Tidus seem to be the ones that are having the toughest time with how things are going though. Warrior of Light is having a crisis of faith, Cecil and Tidus are truly uneasy at having to fight their relatives, and Cloud is somewhat battle weary at constantly having to fight and see Sephiroth again. XD

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
These translations only served to increase my excitement about the game.

The way they teamed up the characters and some of the plot points (specially the ones about Bartz) are very interesting indeed.

I wonder if the villains will separate in a way to mach the teams of Cosmos' warriors or will they have a different formation...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah Cecil's sounds especially cool. I wish I had time to finish FF4 :(

Well in any interviews that happen with the developers about this game the thing I'll most want to know is how they decided to divide up the characters, I would have agonized over who to pair with whom.

Schala-Kitty

Pro Adventurer
@Mako - I think at this point, even Cloud is tired at how long their rivalry has been milked. :duhard: He needs to go to Ivalice and have a nice Sephiroth-free vacation.

@D&D - Hitoshura mentioned in the last Famitsu thread that the villains are essentially split between "rulers" and "destroyers" but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few subfactions within those over-arching categories. Like Mateus and Ultimecia, maybe Sephiroth and Golbez to some extent...

@FS - I'm not entirely sure of the process myself, but I'm sure it was interesting. I do know that in the last Famitsu interview, there was a lot of cheerful discussion about how Tidus interacts with the FFII characters.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's kinda obvious how they chose the characters that would work with each other. They chose characters that would compliment each other.

Zidane and Bartz are obviously the happiest, and most optimistic characters in the game. So they naturally would work together. Onion Knight and Terra are relatively young, gentle, yet welling with inner strength, so they'd compliment each other as well. Firion, Cecil, Cloud, and Tidus are characters with inner turmoil so they'd naturally work together and draw strength from each other. Squall is naturally the loner, and apparently, so is Warrior of Light.

They essentially chose characters who've somehow displayed similar traits and put them together. With a little extra creative flair along the way, of course.

@Schala-Kitty

Exactly. I'd be pretty depressed if I constantly saw Sephiroth trying to kill me and make my life miserable too. It's like..."....Do you have ANYTHING else better to do than make my life miserable?" Sephiroth sure knows how to hold a grudge. What a stalker :monster:

Schala-Kitty

Pro Adventurer
Ah, good points all-around. There does seem to be this attempt to put together characters who either compliment or contrast each other. I see Tidus and Firion as a good contrast, since you have energetic, almost reckless Tidus paired up with the more methodical and contemplative Firion - but both of them possess these very driven natures that act as a compliment.

And as for Stalkeroth... well, he learned from one of the best, didn't he? *glances over at Genesis* *cough*

[quote author=Schala-Kitty link=topic=72.msg750#msg750 date=1228505524]
@Mako - I think at this point, even Cloud is tired at how long their rivalry has been milked. :duhard: He needs to go to Ivalice and have a nice Sephiroth-free vacation. [/quote]
He tried that remember? And Sephy was still bugging him there and he was being an emo loner.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=Balthea link=topic=72.msg757#msg757 date=1228507540]
@Mako - I think at this point, even Cloud is tired at how long their rivalry has been milked. :duhard: He needs to go to Ivalice and have a nice Sephiroth-free vacation. [/quote]
He tried that remember? And Sephy was still bugging him there and he was being an emo loner.
[/quote]

Buh, what?

Sephiroth was never in FF Tactics. Cloud wasn't emo in it either. He was just utterly crazy because he had just come from FFVII after having his ego smashed and seeing Aerith again, after he specifically remembered watching her die.

@Forcestealer

And who says Cloud isn't badass in Dissidia? And when was Cloud badass in KH2? He was probably the most out of character FF hero in the entire game. He wasn't very badass at all. I think you're taking the fact that he's depressed about having to continually fight and meet Sephiroth again way too seriously :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=72.msg760#msg760 date=1228508122]
Buh, what?

Sephiroth was never in FF Tactics. Cloud wasn't emo in it either. He was just utterly crazy because he had just come from FFVII after having his ego smashed and seeing Aerith again, after he specifically remembered watching her die.[/quote]

Actually, it's questionable, what, if anything Cloud can remember in Ivalice. He certainly gives nothing more than a passing glance at the Ivalician flower girl, and makes no remark regarding her (unless something's changed in WoL). His party screen quotes seem to indicate he's got his identity crisis still going on.

And who says Cloud isn't badass in Dissidia? And when was Cloud badass in KH2? He was probably the most out of character FF hero in the entire game. He wasn't very badass at all. I think you're taking the fact that he's depressed about having to continually fight and meet Sephiroth again way too seriously :monster:

He's depressed because the cosmic restraining order hasn't come through yet.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well I take the fact that Cloud stared at Aerith for that moment and then came to her aid after she was accosted by those brigands, that he obviously saw the more than uncanny resemblence this Ivalice girl named Aerith had to the Aerith of FFVII. I mean, there was some sort of recognition.

And really, of course Cloud would be somewhat disheartened, over the fact that after defeating Sephiroth twice and trying to move on with his life with Tifa....the entire universe seems to be in peril and now he's seperated from friends and loved ones so he can....fight again against a man he thought he killed who threatened his world. It's like a sick cycle of Samsara.

Cloud fights and saves world from Sephiroth. Now Cloud must fight and save universe from Sephiroth. It's like the neverending rivalry between Aeon Flux and Trevor Goodchild. :duhard:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
@D&D - Hitoshura mentioned in the last Famitsu thread that the villains are essentially split between "rulers" and "destroyers" but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few subfactions within those over-arching categories. Like Mateus and Ultimecia, maybe Sephiroth and Golbez to some extent...
[/quote]

What's interesting is that, despite their different goals and such, in the recent trailers, they all seem overcome their differences to work together in order to overthrow , as Mateus said, "that willfull God".

I wonder if they're reffering to Chosmos or they're planning to turn on Chaos.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
In WoL (War of the Lions) Cloud doesn't say anything new basically. But WoL did have more story line to explore...and the First Left Handed Swordsman (who hit hard) too...and Used a Ribbon...sad Cloud couldn't use it in WoL I think...still need to check. Hehe.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Cloud can still use Ribbons in FF Tactics. However, he isn't the only male job class that can anymore. Onion Knights can as well.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=72.msg760#msg760 date=1228508122]And who says Cloud isn't badass in Dissidia? And when was Cloud badass in KH2? He was probably the most out of character FF hero in the entire game. He wasn't very badass at all. [/quote]

Is that second sentence missing a word? Cloud was badass in KHII in the Heartless War when he and Squall were back to back. And he's pretty crazy in battle, but that doesn't change TOO much on his mood.

Does Cloud get an cell-shaded scene in WotL like Balthier does? I'm playing through the game, but I'm not where you can get Cloud yet.

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=72.msg775#msg775 date=1228522796]
Cloud can still use Ribbons in FF Tactics. However, he isn't the only male job class that can anymore. Onion Knights can as well.
[/quote]

Ah Okay, I never messed with Equipment...but I gave Cloud Bal's Equiipments.../laugh

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
The only thing about Cloud being depressed is that as far as we know, he is actually not anymore during Dirge and is finding his place. So I dont know why they would make him depressed.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=72.msg797#msg797 date=1228530532]
The only thing about Cloud being depressed is that as far as we know, he is actually not anymore during Dirge and is finding his place. So I dont know why they would make him depressed.
[/quote]

It's because he wants to go home to the wife and kids.

Actually, it'd be great for him and Cecil to commiserate over being torn from their families.

::Awaits The After's translation into English and onto a playable system::

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=72.msg776#msg776 date=1228522877]
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=72.msg760#msg760 date=1228508122]And who says Cloud isn't badass in Dissidia? And when was Cloud badass in KH2? He was probably the most out of character FF hero in the entire game. He wasn't very badass at all. [/quote]

Is that second sentence missing a word? Cloud was badass in KHII in the Heartless War when he and Squall were back to back. And he's pretty crazy in battle, but that doesn't change TOO much on his mood.

Does Cloud get an cell-shaded scene in WotL like Balthier does? I'm playing through the game, but I'm not where you can get Cloud yet.
[/quote]

That's about the only time, coupled with when he finally took Tifa's light, like he was supposed to. :monster:

The rest of the time, he was essentially an OOC shadow of his true self. I don't think Cloud's character is being compromised at all in this game.

And Cloud isn't in any of the movies of War of the Lions, so they really didn't give him the cell shading treatment like Balthier. His scenes are just done with sprites like before.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=72.msg808#msg808 date=1228535766]
That's about the only time, coupled with when he finally took Tifa's light, like he was supposed to. :monster:[/quote]

I guess...but come on, that scene is so packed with badassery...

And that's too bad about Tactics, I'd be interested to see what he looked like. But I can appreciate why they didn't.

Sephiroth was never in FF Tactics.
You are right, but I didn't mean he was. I just meant that Sephiroth still seemed to have power over him when he has that breakdown and kind of says it's because of Sephiroth.
And was it every established that he was sent there after the game? I always thought the theory most people had was he fell through the lifestream and somehow into Ivalice, so his memories hadn't been fixed by Tifa yet... though I wouldn't know if there's any evidence for this or not, I've only watch a few of the cutscenes and was really just making a joke that Cloud's visit to Ivalice wasn't a vacation. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think KH does any real service to Cloud as a character, save for maybe the fight scenes and the fun of beating him up. But his character is just crapily done. Squall on the other hand was given much better attention ironically, especially in KH2. It's pretty easy to argue that Cloud becomes somewhat of a typecasted shadow of his true character with how brooding, aloof, and isolated he is portrayed to be, when he really isn't, as shown in FFVII or the Compilation.

I'm not worried at all about his portrayal in Dissidia since it doesn't seem like they're getting his character wrong at all. Cloud isn't an optimistic person. It's just a fact. It's not a failing. Neither was Cecil, or Terra. If you want optimism and cheer, you go to Bartz and Zidane :monster: They got Cloud's character right given his life experiences and didn't make him into some OOC brooding loner, like in KH. Squall is the one who's honestly the "loner" who would rather do things on his own, be aloof and leave, rather than stay with a group of strangers. Cloud is a team player; the whole attitude he had in KH2 was more of a bad portrayal than anything else. Cloud, Cecil, and Tidus all have their reasons for being less than enthused about having to face their struggles all over again in another universe.

@Balthea

I don't think the attack he suffered in Ivalice had anything to do with Sephiroth. It was more than likely due to the fact that he was mentally unstable and confused..having been thrust from his own world and into another.

And yeah, Cloud's stint in Ivalice pretty much happens after he gives Sephiroth the Black Materia and gets lost in the current of the Lifestream.

Top Bottom