• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Uncharted Movie: Hollywood ruins another game

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Empire chatted with Oscar-nominated The Fighter director David O. Russell about bringing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to the big screen, a discussion in which he mentioned he likes Scarlett Johansson for the role of Elena:

What is the situation with your Uncharted movie script? It seems such a natural game to turn into a movie...
The game is very cinematic; there's no question about it. That's what I'm working on real hard and I'm writing it as we speak and I'm really excited to make it. I'd love Mark to be in it, I'd love Bob De Niro to be in it; I love the idea of growing them into a cinematic family; I think that's a really cool idea, but... I guess you'll have to wait until you see the script.

What thoughts do you have about the love interest, Elena?
Ah, Elena. I've cultivated her quite a bit and I think I've added a lot of dimension to her so that's all I'm going to say. I love the woman characters and the more robust they are, the more robust the movie.

From watching The Fighter, we would love Amy Adams to play Elena...
Oh I would love that too, I love Amy. I also love Scarlett Johansson; there's a lot of great actors I think might suit. Hopefully, we'll see how it works out with everybody who are being scoped to do that role...

Read more: Scarlett Johansson for Elena in Uncharted? - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=73696#ixzz1CmAxiUPr

I'm really starting to hate this guy.

Johansson is completely wrong for this role in every way. FFS Emily Rose is pretty much Elena much in the same way Fillion is Drake. But herp derp she's not a famous actor with huge tits and pouty lips.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Aren't they both brunettes? That's weird. That's the least of the problem and all, but still odd.

And you're absolutely right, no one should play her outside Emily Rose. And Rose is pretty damn cute to boot so I don't know what the problem is. (I mean I do, but that's a bullshit problem)

:rage:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Aren't they both brunettes? That's weird. That's the least of the problem and all, but still odd.

And you're absolutely right, no one should play her outside Emily Rose. And Rose is pretty damn cute to boot so I don't know what the problem is. (I mean I do, but that's a bullshit problem)

:rage:

Johansson was a brunette? Learn something every day.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I don't either, especially ones who have not particularly impressed me with their acting skills :monster:

I still say Johansson was a terrible Black Widow. If you could even call her character that.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
There could be worse actors than Scarlett Johannson.

At least it ain't the director's wife only because the director has a hard-on for his wife being in movies he directs :awesome:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73984

We think director David O. Russell has made some great movies. Look at Oscar-nominated The Fighter for instance. But we're also huge fans of the "Uncharted" game franchise and Russell's continuous comments about the "family dynamic" in the games has us worried. Mr. Russell, the game is about Nathan Drake (who looks nothing like Mark Wahlberg), who is helped on his adventures by close friend Victor "Sully" Sullivan and sometimes by a reporter named Elena Fisher. Seeing some of these quotes at IGN from Russell makes us think he has never played the game himself though he is attached to direct Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.

So basically, this is an idea you had for a movie that you will just put the name "Uncharted" on?

IGN: Of all the video game movies, why was Uncharted the one for you?

David O. Russell: Because it's centered around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

In the interview he claims his "kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic."

Mr. Russell, we can't think of a lot of games that are more cinematic than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Can somebody PLEASE just stop him?

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Because it's centered around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

huhImage2.jpg

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
In the interview he claims his "kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic."

I could point a lot of contradictions in this statement, but it's late and I'm tired. I'll only repeat what we have been saying all along: This movie is going to be an utter crap.

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
What the everloving hell is going on with this movie I've only started playing the first Uncharted recently and oh my god they are going to destroy this.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
So pretty much, he hasn't played the games, hasn't even bothered to read a summary of it on wikipedia, and doesn't know dick about the Uncharted series.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I have never even played Uncharted apart from the demo and even I know enough about this game to know this guy did not do the research. =/

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It must be great to be able to get a job that'll no doubt pay millions without even having to know a single thing about what it is you're supposed to be making.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I think someone mentioned this before, but I'm honestly glad Nathan Fillion isn't in this joke of a movie.

He's simply too damn awesome for this piece of shit.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
He probably foresaw the train wreck and washed his hands of this immediately, tbh.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Actually he polled for this roll for a while.

He was the only thing that could have made this shit better.

Looks like Russel's success has gone to his head and he figures he can do whatever the fuck he wants with this film. Regardless of the brand itself.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I for one will not be spending any money to see this movie. No tickets, rentals, or DVD purchases. I might watch and MST3K the hell out of it if an opportunity to do so for free comes along, but these asshats will receive no funding for their cinematic rape from me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well said, EG. Well said.

I officially announce my strong endorsement for pirating this piece of shit, people. ('Cause we at least need to watch it so when we bitch about it, we'll actually know what it's about, even if this fucker didn't bother to do that with the games.)

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
David O. Russell Responds To The Internet’s Response To The Fact That He’s Making ‘Uncharted’
Posted on Saturday, February 19th, 2011 by David Chen

I had the privilege to speak with director David O. Russell last week (Thanks to everyone who submitted questions!). The full audio and transcript of that interview will be up in the next day or two, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share some of David O. Russell’s thoughts on the internet’s response to the fact that he’s directing Uncharted.

I think /Film commenter Jag put it best when he suggested the following question for Russell: “How does it feel to be an academy award nominated and a critically acclaimed director, [who] has to see a bunch of video-game fans (who’ve never made a movie) bitch about ruining Uncharted before he’s even finished the script?” Hit the jump to find out what Russell had to say. [Note that the following excerpts have been slightly edited for clarity.]

I first asked Russell about his relationship to the videogame series, which has a special place in my heart. He commented:

My son plays most of the games in our house, and I will play them with him but I’m not hardcore. I’m not going to present myself as hardcore. But I played the game a bunch of times and I also read as much as I could about the game and I met the game’s creator, Amy Hennig, who’s really cool. I started to brew together what I thought could be a really cool idea that I’d never seen in a film before…Really intense action and really intense family dynamics on a global stage. To grow a game into a movie is an interesting proposition because a game is a very different experience than a movie. You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I’m saying? So, I want to create a world that is worthy of a really great film that people want to watch and rewatch, so that’s what I’m working on right now.

I then asked David what he thought of people’s unsolicited suggestions about how he should make the Uncharted film. After all, it’s not like people have been restrained about offering him advice (see above):

Well I’ve had people come up to me after screenings and pitch people they think should play the roles and I think we’ve seen that before with movies like Interview with the Vampire where there was a lot of fans of Anne Rice’s book and there were a lot of strong opinions about how to make it.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m very respectful as far as the core content and sprit of the game, but beyond that it’s my job as a filmmaker to make what I think is going to be an amazing movie. People have to trust that and let that go, I think. There’s not a bunch of movies you can point to that are made from games that are amazing movies, that stand up to time as a franchise or as [individual films]. I personally think it’s really cool when you see that someone like Darren Aronofsky is going to make an X-Men movie or to get someone such as myself to make this picture. You can be guaranteed that it’s going to be real, it’s going to be raw, it’s going to be intense, it’s going to be original, and it’s going to be propulsive. And those are all the things that I want when I go to watch a movie like that.

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-russell-responds-internets-response-fact-making-uncharted/

Hahahhaha like anyone's going to believe this faggot actually played the games. He clearly has no idea what Uncharted is about is going to do whatever the fuck he wants under the Uncharted name.

Fucking liar.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I have played Uncharted 2 several times at this point, and I'm pretty damn sure I never encountered anything resembling a "family dynamic."

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
David O. Russell said: "You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally."

Anyone else feel just a wee bit insulted by this? Even if he sounded like he knew Uncharted front and back by heart in every other way, this statement would still tell me he had no clue and didn't want one.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
You keep using the words 'family dynamic', Mister Russell. I don't think you know what they mean.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm sorry, but playing Uncharted is more like playing a video game AND watching a movie, and a damn good one at that.

The film doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the games, hell doesn't even have to follow the same story. Just keep the characters and themes the same. That's all I ask ffs.

Top Bottom