• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Uncharted Movie: Hollywood ruins another game

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally.
I wonder what I was doing when I felt genuinely sorry for Zack's death when I first played FFVII, or when I watched Gau's reunion with his senile father (aside form the many other emotional scenes in that game), or when Galuf sacrificed himself.

Really intense action and really intense family dynamics [...] it’s going to be original
"Raiders of the Lost Arc", anyone?

As far as I’m concerned, I’m very respectful as far as the core content and sprit of the game, but beyond that it’s my job as a filmmaker to make what I think is going to be an amazing movie.
Though I'm also very respectful about his job as a filmmaker, it's also our duty not to pay for watching a movie that tears appart the very essence of a game's original story and its characters. If this movie ends up as a failure, don't say nobody warned you.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
n case it was still unclear judging by the numerous comments David O. Russell has made in recent months about "Uncharted," he's just not interested in making your older brother's video-game movie. But while the Oscar-nominated director has irked some fans by suggesting he may eschew certain aspects of the gaming story, he promises at least one thing won't be lost in transition: the edge.

MTV News caught up with the "Fighter" director on the Oscars red carpet on Sunday (February 27), and he seemed sure "Uncharted," which he called "a really dope [story about a] crime family in the world of antiquities and art," would be PG-13. But that doesn't mean he won't push the boundaries of the rating as far as it can possibly go.

"I don't know if they'll let me make an R-rated video-game movie. It'll have to be PG-13. [But] there's gonna be romance and sex, otherwise I'm not interested, I promise," Russell laughed. "I'll show as much skin and as much language [as possible]. I hope they push the limits. I heard they're gonna push it a little bit."

All of that sex and romance probably won't be coming from rumored co-stars Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, however. Instead, some sultry women will take on those duties, Russell teased. But who could those women be?

"Maybe Eva Mendes? Scarlett Johansson?" Mark Wahlberg surmised to MTV News during our red-carpet interview.

Originally conceived as a series of video games for the PlayStation 3 console, "Uncharted" follows treasure hunter Nate Drake on a series of Indiana Jones-style adventures around the world. Russell plans to fully explore where he can take that story, but he'll stop short of taking it into another dimension.

"They say it makes an immersive environment. I believe in the immersive environment of Martin Scorsese," Russell insisted when asked if he was considering 3-D. Then he stopped himself, admitting, "[Scorsese] just made a 3-D movie ['Hugo Cabret'], so I guess that shuts my mouth!"

Joining Mark Wahlberg in the flick may be two of Scorsese's heaviest hitters. Asked about rumored performances by Academy Award winners Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, Russell would only say, "Hopefully."

"He wrote the parts for De Niro and Pesci," Wahlberg told us.

Stick with MTV News on Oscar night and beyond for red-carpet fashion coverage, analysis of the winners, plus interviews, photos and more from your favorite Hollywood stars!

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com

http://www.hot100fm.com.au/news/cel...ell-says-uncharted-will-have-sex-romance.html

Someone please, PLEASE stop this maniac and cancel this goddamn movie.

WHERE does Uncharted make a big deal out of language and sex? This is sounding more and more like some trashy gritty bullshit like the sopranos on the trail.

Splintered

unsavory tart
You know, before playing Uncharted I was like, "so they didn't get Nathan Fillion, big deal."

Then after playing the game I'm like, "Why the fuck didn't they get Nathan Fillion!? Did the dude not play the game at all!?"

WHERE does Uncharted make a big deal out of language and sex? This is sounding more and more like some trashy gritty bullshit like the sopranos on the trail.
.. I guess not. I have no problems with language and sex, but if he thinks that's the most exciting part of the story then he needs to sit the fuck down.

Elena Fisher was a great character and she wasn't overly sexualized, and that's not because video game companies are scared of it. She was compelling because of great chemistry with Drake, good lines, and just being a well crafted character.

So much for video game industry being the most immature one.
he's just not interested in making your older brother's video-game movie.
Well fuck, dude.

2f04ozm.gif

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You already know Elena is going to be some oversexualized bombshell sexpot in the film.

You can see it from the people he's looked into casting for her.

Splintered

unsavory tart
ewwww@director missing the point.

I'm one of the people who don't think the plot was anything great, it was just the sense of the adventure with fantastic characters.

But if he can't even get the character's right, how am I suppose to assume he's going to get the spirit of the game right either?

inb4 Elena scaling mountains in high heels and a mini skirt.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
ewwww@director missing the point.

I'm one of the people who don't think the plot was anything great, it was just the sense of the adventure with fantastic characters.

But if he can't even get the character's right, how am I suppose to assume he's going to get the spirit of the game right either?

inb4 Elena scaling mountains in high heels and a mini skirt.

Uncharted isn't about plot. It's about great dialogue written perfectly for great characters who are thrown into high flying unbelievable situations in a unique sort of fantasy.

Basically, Uncharted is all about fun, but the kind of fun that stays with you and is meaningful. It appeals to that innate desire most folks have for adventure and action that they can't live out themselves.

This just looks like it's going to be childish derivative action movie #3000000000 filled with generic characters and themes.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I think it'd be less of an insult to Uncharted if he honestly tried to do it right and just failed. Turning something excellent (Uncharted is one of the few current gen games I've gotten to play at all, and I loved it) into something generic is somehow way worse.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
This guy thinks Uncharted fans will forgive him if he shows b00bs on the screen? Just how brainless he thinks they are?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
so, to summarize:

russell thinks only 13 year olds play video games and that these games have basically the story equivalent of pac-man

girls in video games are only there because they have nice tits

having no idea what you're doing is totally fine when you've directed an award winning movie

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Elena Fisher
In the midst of all the talk of Drake's non-existent 'crime family', I'd forgotten about Elena.

But this film didn't need another reason to worry about/give up on it.

But at least there'll be as much skin and bad language as possible. Because you couldn't have made an entertaining experience without that.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I can't believe he says that like its a reassurance, with an "I promise."

"Oh but don't worry, there won't be the slightest hint of anything recognizably Uncharted about the experience, I promise!"

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
You know what? I want to see another interview with Russell exactly like this one posted here, with one small change: At the end of the interview, the interviewer just flat ends it by saying "What? No, that's stupid and you're stupid."

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Exclusive: David O. Russell has exited "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" over creative differences with Sony, leaving the bigscreen adaptation of the juggernaut videogame without a helmer -- but not without the studio's will to get it made.
After signing on to write and direct "Uncharted" late last year, Russell seemed excited about the Columbia Pictures project, speaking frequently and enthusiastically about it as he made the rounds to promote "The Fighter" during awards season. Insiders tell Variety the split was amicable and due to creative differences on the project, which Sony will continue to aggressively develop.

"Uncharted" is an adaptation of the popular 2007 PlayStation 3 videogame that centered on treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer penned the first draft of the script, which Sony is still very high on, though the studio has already begun its search for a new scribe.

While there has never been talent formally attached to "Uncharted," Russell had been looking to re-team with "The Fighter" star Mark Wahlberg on the project, which was also rumored to co-star Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. However, with a new writer and director coming on board, casting will likely start from scratch.

"Uncharted" will be produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Charles Roven and Alex Gartner.

The original game sold one million copies within its first 10 weeks of release, and a 2009 sequel sold more than 3.8 million copies worldwide.

Russell recently committed to re-team with Wahlberg on "The Silver Linings Playbook." Helmer had also been considering working with Wahlberg on the drug drama "Cocaine Cowboys," a feature adaptation of the acclaimed documentary.

Russell is also developing a "Dirty Harry"-esque franchise with Ice Cube, as well as two projects with Vince Vaughn -- the Universal action pic "2 Guns" and the father-daughter drama "Old St. Louis." He's also shown interest in a Russ Meyer biopic that's set up at Fox Searchlight, and had been talking to producer Jane Rosenthal about a feature concerning former Providence mayor Buddy Cianci.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
Is the rest of the cast still attached to this then or what?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Is the rest of the cast still attached to this then or what?

I don't believe it has been confirmed officially, but the article speculates that Russell's departure will probably lead to recasting of major rôles:
While there has never been talent formally attached to "Uncharted," Russell had been looking to re-team with "The Fighter" star Mark Wahlberg on the project, which was also rumored to co-star Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. However, with a new writer and director coming on board, casting will likely start from scratch.

Top Bottom