• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Using a PS3 controller with the PS4

Fangu

Great Old One
Sooo when I first held the PS4 controller the first thing I noticed (to my disappointment) is that they decided to take a step back with the analogue sticks. With the PS3 controller they made then easier to move around, which for me was a huge step up from the PS2 one,
1008962_10153000627885495_1087385766_o_zpsebr3ilff.jpg
and so I was immediately worried the PS4 controller would give me trouble when playing games that rely a lot on the left stick.

I've been playing FFXV all weekend, and lo and behold, it's one of those games where you constantly rely on the left stick, and now my thumb is so fucked I probably won't be able to play for a week (there goes my Christmas break activity) unless I tape my thumb to my left hand to avoid using it. Fine, I should have taken breaks, but I was able to play FFXIII on the PS3 for 25 hours straight at one point and that never gave me any problems. So now I really want to try getting my PS3 controller to work with my PS4 for when I can play again.

The first thing you learn when Googling this is 'no you can't'. Then you Google it again and realise there are ways of doing it (as usual), several ways too, and they all involve a bit of workaround. I haven't looked into them that much as my time is limited and I spend all my patience at work, I though I'd just slap this in here in case anyone have tried doing the same thing and succeeded. Or just want to be my Google bitch because I am lazy or some such :desu:

Fangu

Great Old One
So I looked into this anyway and it seems my best option is to use Remote Play in one way or the other. This video uses an Android device. I'm just not sure if I have one of those OTG cables.

I do have a computer next to my PS4 and TV, but sadly my DS3 Tool no longer works with it because I upgraded the PC to Windows 10. I guess remoting via that PC would have been my best option. Pout.

Edit: WOO WAIT THERE APPEARS TO BE AN OFFICIAL PS4 PC APP THAT SUPPORTS DS3
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...n-now-pc-app-supports-dualshock-3-controller/

Edit2: Fuck me that app is for old PS3 titles only

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Fangu, you can play PS4 games on your PC using PC remote play or whatever. I've done it myself though I have to say there were some latency issues (expected since it functions over WiFi)

What exactly is happening to your thumb from the left stick?

It's muscle pain in that fat veiny bit of hand your thumb is connected to. I understand where she's coming from tbh because when I went from DS3 to DS2 one time I felt the ache after a day of play. It goes away when you build up some level of tolerance to it though. Which requires pushing through the pain XD. I'm assuming Fangu's thumb muscle is fucked too badly to do that.

Fangu

Great Old One
@Force, X-SOLDIER: It's that (what Lex said), but it's also pain in both joints of my thumb, which comes from the repetitive movements when pushing the stick forward. It can't just be muscle pain, because it's aching the way my elbow does when it gets inflamed (I use a roller mouse at work and I always need to support my right elbow). That being said, my body in general feels inflamed these days which probably isn't helping.

One might say 'you're just using the controller wrong', but how I see it, it doesn't really matter. The controller is either a bad match for my hand, I move my thumb wrong, or I was born with defect hands. *shrug*

Lex, you mean like, playing with a mouse and keyboard? I have no idea if I could make that work tbh, I stink at using that. I guess I could look into non-official controllers though. Or try making the DS3 Tool work again.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@Force, X-SOLDIER: It's that (what Lex said), but it's also pain in both joints of my thumb, which comes from the repetitive movements when pushing the stick forward. It can't just be muscle pain, because it's aching the way my elbow does when it gets inflamed (I use a roller mouse at work and I always need to support my right elbow). That being said, my body in general feels inflamed these days which probably isn't helping.

Interesting. I'm more just curious what minor design difference makes the change in comfort between the DS3 &DS4 for you – especially because I typically have an easier time with the DS4 in overall long-playability and I've always been a fan of the PlayStation controllers.

Fingers crossed that you find a workable DS3 solution though!~

X :neo:

Fangu

Great Old One
^ I'm fairly sure the most important difference is the stiffness of the sticks - as in, how easy they are to move/ push. The DS3 is much easier to move than 2 and 4, at least in my experience.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I also wasn't gearing up to accuse you of DOIN IT RONG or anything. I was just curious as I hadn't noticed much difference between the controllers either. Other than that DS4s make my hands sweat a lot more.

Lex

Administrator
^It does that to me too. I'm sure I concluded previously it's the porous texture of the hand grips XD. Rubbage or whatever

I think if you (Force and X) aren't noticing much difference, maybe try playing with the DS3 again for a short while - the resistance of the sticks is definitely super noticeable. I think it's a change for the better with the DS4 because them not being quite so loose gives you more accurate control (which is what they were going for) but that's mostly useful for precise aiming in shooters and such, less so in a game like XV where precise analog-character control isn't all that refined (Pitioss stands as an example).

@Fangu, I feel like you'd get used to the DS4 even though it hurts now. I just don't want you to end up not being able to play if you're always looking for a way to go back to DS3 lol. Eventually you might not be able to do that at all ;-;

Top Bottom