Via 1UP: FFVII's Opening

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Apparently it's the "week of FF7" on 1UP.com, or something. The first article was nothing new, just the typical "It may not be the best game ever but it was the right game at the right time and is hugely important in the world of RPGs" stuff.

However, today's article is pretty good. It's about how impeccable FF7's opening is, and it captured en media res better than just about any RPG since. Most start pretty serenely but even those that do use the technique (FF13) pack it with tutorials, thereby robbing the narrative of the entire point of starting in the action.
The tone of the message sounds like the Sequelitis episode on Megaman X on youtube (go watch it. Now.) About how games used to treat you like a creature with a brain and figure out some rudimentary things about the game on your own. ALL of VII's tutorials come AFTER the exciting intro. You're left to work out the combat system for yourself. And really, the hardest part about it is figuring out that O is select and not X.

Anyway, thought it was a good read.

Lex

Administrator
That is was! Thanks for sharing. FFVII's opening really is a glorious thing to watch.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well, nevermind, that didn't last long. They quickly followed up wit ha stupid article. Indeed, the same article that EVERY crappy game journalist has written to argue against a remake...although this guy says he's not arguing against a remake...just that these things won't be in it when/if we get it.
I've given my exhaustive take on these types of articles, but some highlowlights:

Straight-Up Acts of Terrorism by the Protagonists

...um, why not? Games and movies depict heroes performed what would probably be classified as acts of terrorism all the time. In fact, FF7 makes a point to call the heroes out on their bullshit...so why would they take that out? If they flew a plane into a building, sure. But blowing up a power plant is not going to be "too sensitive." He mentions all the games that got delayed after the earthquake/tsunami...but they still came out, they were just delayed so as to not be tasteless.

Those Stupid Minigames

Yes, he lauds that the Final Fantasy series has moved away from these. Screw you, dude, I think the games are worse for the lack of minigames. I guess he just wants a cutscene for the motorcycle chase.
And another reference of the "tonal dissonance" of going snow boarding "so soon" after Aerith's death. I seriously never heard people mention this before a year or two ago. How else are they supposed to get down the mountain? Or are you going to completely redo the geography of FF7's world? Is skiing more somber, would they be okay with you? I guess we're just supposed to sadly trudge down in snow shoes.
And it's an hour or so after her death, how long would it have to be before snowboarding would be "acceptable?"

Weird Stuff
If you go back and replay FFVII with a more mature eye than you had back in 1997, you'll realize that the game can be downright weird at times. Remember that part where Barrett (the huge, angry dude with a gun for a hand) dressed up in a sailor suit while the feline Red XIII wobbled about the deck of a ship on two feet? Remember that couple that inexplicably passed out at the train station after spouting what appeared to be random innuendo? Or how about the part where Cloud started talking to the player before looking up to the on-screen cursor and sputtering, "What the hell? Finger?"

That stuff was pretty strange, right? Much too weird to fly in a modern Final Fantasy game. Let's face it: Square takes itself a lot more seriously these days. There may have been some parts in FFXIII that you laughed at, but the humor wasn't deliberate. Somehow Square Enix wrote a 60-hour game without a single real joke to be found. Have you slogged your way through any of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII material, like Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children? Grim, joyless stuff. There's no room for humor in Square's revisionist version of Final Fantasy VII, so you can forget all about Cloud breaking the fourth wall or going on an awkward man-date with Barrett. FFVII is serious business.

"What the hell? Finger?!" WOULD be too weird, yes. Honestly it was too weird back then. Also, this guy didn't play Dirge or Advent Children. Cid was spouting crazy stuff in both of those. Yuffie was slapstick extraordinaire in DC. People complained how NOT serious the Turks are in Advent Children. Whether any of this humor is funny or not is irrelevant. He's saying there's no goofing around in the FF7 spinoffs, and this is patently false. And weren't you JUST going on about "tonal dissonance?" I'm surprised you want any humor.

A Nuanced, Interesting Cloud Strife

I won't start this argument, as I know many here agree with him. And even I would to a point, but what stupid examples he picks:

Watch him stumble sadly through Crisis Core! See him mope his way through another fight with Sephiroth in Advent Children! See him proclaim meaningfully in Dissidia!

Wow, that's your best? Cloud isn't sad at any point in Crisis Core outside where it already was established in FF7 that he was. He was laughing and chatty and inviting Zack to dinner the rest of the time. Play the game.
And out of all of Advent Children you pick a scene that takes place AFTER he stops moping? Not his conversation with Tifa? But the Sephiroth fight, right after he smirked at how much he was curbstomping Kadaj?
And Dissidia? He's not emo in Dissidia. Wouldn't a Kingdom Hearts reference made more sense? I know that's AU, but it doesn't seem like it would stop this guy.
So your singular point where people might agree with you you pick out stupid examples?

The Honeybee Manor

Yeah, we've discussed this one before.

Author - Jeremy Parish
1UP Editor-in-Chief Jeremy Parish would kind of like for them to keep most of this stuff if only they'd get rid of Cait Sith, who was to Jar-Jar Binks as the Silver Surfer is to Galactus.

Oh, it's DLPB.

Lex

Administrator
Don't they get tired of spewing the same trite everywhere? Call me an optimist, but is it too much to hope that game journalists can start being original? Yawn. Huge yawn.

AvecAloes

Donator
Force said:
Straight-Up Acts of Terrorism by the Protagonists
...um, why not? Games and movies depict heroes performed what would probably be classified as acts of terrorism all the time. In fact, FF7 makes a point to call the heroes out on their bullshit...so why would they take that out? If they flew a plane into a building, sure. But blowing up a power plant is not going to be "too sensitive." He mentions all the games that got delayed after the earthquake/tsunami...but they still came out, they were just delayed so as to not be tasteless.

I'm sorry, but has this "journalist" even played the game? Removing the actions of AVALANCHE completely cuts out the confusion and emotions that drive characters such as Barret - his whole story would have to be completely rewritten, and who the hell would want to change Barret's character?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I also like that the character that calls Barret out on being a terrorist is Cait Sith...the character he wants them to get rid of.

Lex

Administrator
If you ask me, the sector 7 plate falling is a far more horrific moment anyway. And it's not like they haven't done bad moments like that/worse than that in more detail anyway. The destruction of Lindblum, Alexandria and Terra in FF9, the destruction of Kilika/ the attack on Sin in FFX, Cocoon falling in XIII, the end of XIII-2 - this guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
force, you already said a lot of thing i think.
obviusly this guy doesn't played ffvii or any compilation games.( nobody who really played ffvii could write this shit)
no word for what he says about the honeybee inn, he doesn't even know the right name.

and DON'T TRY TO INSULT CAIT SITH USING JAR JAR!
jar jar : cait sith= Indiana Jones iv: Indiana Jones i/iii = banora : midgar

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I wondered how they were going to address XIII doing the same thing and why it didn't work so well, and yes, it's because it started throwing tutorial screens at you instead of letting you fumble with the mechanics for a brief period. Dissidia did the same stuff.

My mind glazes over the usual Devil May Cry tutorial jpgs unless I've tried to figure it out on my own first.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Wait, is that really DLPB? Or was that just a joke?

Also, the finger needs to stay. idgaf who you are. :wacky:

Top Bottom