Video Content- Brainstorming

Pixel

The Pixie King
... you seriously think this is about jealousy? Quality is for the benefit of this site.

You agree that things can be changed. Then the next post you make you bring up the numbers as a reason not to change. Which is it?

I've said everything that needs to be said. :)

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
And honestly you should be pretty proud of the view numbers some of the content you make. I would say some of that stuff is pretty darn niche and personally I was pleasantly surprised to see the view count on some of those videos.

It's great content but your average fan (and definitely not your average youtuber) will not be searching for the Case of x novel stuff on YT. Heck how many people would even know that they would get hits if they searched for that in the first place?

Content like that just naturally isn't going to pull in the huge numbers in comparison to hot button topics like gender identity piggy backing off a huge nostalgia bubble. It just is not happening.

I hate to say this because I actually really really dislike the plagiarist known as Vaatividya but the man knows quality and manages to put a nice gloss on the content he steals and puts on YT. Your original work could be like the FF7 equivalent of Vaatis work

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaatiVidya

Eventually if the TLS channel keeps growing your audio works etc. Could be seen in the same ways as Vaatis (minus the stealing shit part :monster: ). Embracing JT and Claymores work could expedite that significantly.

edit:

Ninja'd but foods gonna burn if post moar :reptar:

Last edited:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
... you seriously think this is about jealousy? Quality is for the benefit of this site.

You agree that things can be changed. Then the next post you make you bring up the numbers as a reason not to change. Which is it?

I've said everything that needs to be said. :)

Clearly we're reading different threads. When did I say it didn't need to be changed?

Again, I challenge you to find a quote where I say I don't give a damn about quality. Quit cherry-picking my posts buddy (not counting my sarcastic comment at the beginning, which I should have :monster:'d up in retrospect.)

I just can't figure out why you're harping on the same shit, Pixel. I don't get why you're taking things so personally.

To clarify my position has always been: If THIS video can get this many views, why aren't all the other videos doing just as good. I've been asking for feedback (which Gabriel provided a great deal of) of ways we can get people to see the higher quality work you produce.

I've had nothing but praise for your work and I'm struggling to find one nice thing you've said apart from "congrats on that fluke, buddy."

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
The only thing I really care about with view counts is the ability to pay people more to encourage more content creation. You've each earned $50 so far from that battle system video. It is a pleasure to reward you for what you've done.

This is not a selfish endevour for me, and I don't need a pat on the head.

I am proud of what you've done. If I thought the videos were a huge pile of shit, they would not be on the channel.

The reason I suggested the FF in a minute series is because I think that would be better suited to your delivery, and would probably draw more people in.

It might be better if we try different approaches and see what hits. I will be trying to work with writers to produce some stuff alongside what you're doing. Hopefully with different teams, we can have a steadier stream of content, alongside stuff like podcasts.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Oh I'm totally for that. I'd love for you to work with Phil again because I love his delivery and stage presence. Also the Let's Plays require a team of people who are experienced (Ami, Lex, Ryu etc). Differing styles make for diversity, and quality can be achieved in all manner of styles.

You, Gabriel and Lex have expressed problems with the quality which I will work on. Pronounciation, general speed, slapdash etc. You even mentioned the Track names on my OST reviews if I recall correctly, or that may have been Tets (or both). It's not about "wanting a pat on the head", it's about the manner in which you've been up til now expressing criticism which has completely turned off Claymore who had potential to be one of our strongest content creators.

Any time anybody has pointed out that you are going over the line you ignore or ridicule them. That's not acceptable, man.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, all this talk about maintaining quality is only keeping people from actually working on potential content. Why not talk about where to take things on an individual basis, so it doesn't feel like ideas for content die before anyone even gets to try to get it going? For example, what content works best as an article and what works better as a video? Would we make articles and videos on the same topic or avoid excessive overlap? What should we make now and what should wait until the remake is out? What about non-ff7 content later on?

When I saw this thread, I was hoping to be able to contribute to a discussion about potential content, but instead had to read through a long, discouraging discussion on how content has to have high quality and reflect well on the site, with no actual discussion on ideas for said content. While views and subscriptions are nice, I don't think it'd be worth much if everyone has to focus on that to the point content creation becomes a chore rather than something enjoyable.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Okay, so desperately trying to get this thread back on track here. Here are the ideas we have:

FF In A Minute

Let's Plays

Retrospective Videos

Opinion Pieces

Fan Commentary

Also given the criticism in this thread, I'd be happy if we could at least use it all to establish a quality standard. I'll create a separate thread for that so that this can be solely about content as was the original intent.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Could there be room for more creative/niche content as well such as say recreating a FF town in minecraft or minecraft pixel art of FF characters?

Pixel

The Pixie King
Could there be room for more creative/niche content as well such as say recreating a FF town in minecraft or minecraft pixel art of FF characters?

I don't see why not. I was actually talking to someone about doing some sort of 3d modelling timelapse, like modelling 7th heaven. But i think she decided to try it on her own channel.

Ive had loads of ideas, but they always rely on other people.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Random stuff you guys could do:

Aerith vs Tifa debate! *Hides*

Delving into opinion pieces, something like a 'Why I love...' series could work incredibly well, with people making passionate pleas / cases for say Cait Sith, or for a certain location, or a specific event in the game, etc... And you could even tie it into the Remake by discussing the potential possibilities that it could open up for that subject.

Speaking of the Remake, the winter news should be approaching soon, so some kind of video should be prepared right about now, and once the news does hit, you could quickly just edit in an intro (with whatever the news sparks) and then follow through with the rest of your subject matter.

Probably something more for the site but short Character Bios (like FF in a Minute) could help get some of the basics up and in place - and would work alongside the walkthrough being planned. Just a quick rundown about the character with perhaps a limit break compilation at the end.

Easy to do, and should draw some attention - Random Top 10 Vids (as chosen by the community on the forum). And you could have follow-up videos with what the viewers would have chosen (if you want to torture yourselves by delving through the YouTube comments).

I think Pixel brought up a neat idea ages ago somewhere about providing some simple animation for the Audiobooks. It would give it a different angle and would help target those that don't like to just sit and listen to stuff.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Active Project: Final Fantasy In A Minute

So I just spoke with Vader and we're going to do the original Final Fantasy as an FF in A Minute video. Vader's going to write it up and us two (and hopefully Ryushikaze makes three) will be tag-teaming the audio.

Can we possibly get a volunteer to handle the video aspect and sound editing?

Edit: The purpose is to get an idea of how it will handle before we start tackling the more complicated stories, but I want this to of course be solid, clean, site ready.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Even if you go a bit over a minute, master the audio, save as wav, and then speed it up to fit a minute. Or else speak at a manageable pace, then speed it up, but preserve the pitch. I think the script will be the hard part, just figuring out how much needs to be written.

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
Even if you go a bit over a minute, master the audio, save as wav, and then speed it up to fit a minute. Or else speak at a manageable pace, then speed it up, but preserve the pitch. I think the script will be the hard part, just figuring out how much needs to be written.

Yeah, I foresee the writing of these to be pretty challenging but I'm looking forward to it. I think the key is going to be to keep it simple. I'll try to inject some humor here and there. It's not possible to put in a lot of detail when you only have a minute to talk. I'll probably recite the whole thing myself as I'm writing it and trim and edit as needed before turning in a final script.

Pixel

The Pixie King
A little tip for anyone doing voiceover. Stay away from fizzy drinks. They make your saliva thicker, and the acid makes you salivate more, so you get icky noises in the mic. Its easier to control when you can take the time. But talking really fast like this it gets more difficult. Drink just water. And green apples help with the mouth sounds.

Also, Ryu, could you try to get closer to the mic than you are in the podcast?

I don't know if this would get much interest, but we could do sort of fan opinion videos. Get a few people with cameras, pose a question, like "what are you most looking forward to about the remake?" They record their answer. We edit it all into a video with clips and music. If they have a youtube channel, we can promote them. We would just need to find the right people to be involved.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Would you guys be interested in little 3ish minute simple animated FF7 comedy type things? I have an idea for one, but it would be a very simple childrens story time style animation. But I could try to figure out more complexish animation... think Peppa Pig level animation lol

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Personally no, as I see them all over, the humour varies drastically, and I rarely ever see something semi-serious.

What about the possibility of animating the audio books?

Pixel

The Pixie King
I would only ever do OTWTAS if I could do it right. If I had enough money to devote all of my time to learning animation, doing animation reference / 3d model/rotoscope hybrid, I would jump at it. The animation test I did was really sloppy, and done just with my mouse, but it was getting there. But even that took hours to do. Id love to do something in the style of "Garden of Words".

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
That looks gorgeous (and expensive), but yeah, I was thinking of something a lot simpler - ala the Peppa Pig vein. Or that comic drawing 'outline' test sample you did a while back.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There was a dude in the chat a while ago, he was an animator / working to become one (and notably improved while he was around), he probably has a creativity thrad somewhere. You could probably get pretty far using Flash or whatever that was renamed to.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Well, I have toon boom studio. You can do all skill levels of animation. Most internet animation is done in flash or toon boom.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Does something like Anime Studio Debut compare to that at all? It's the only one I have previously used, and I only managed to get some very very simple stuff done with that with my brain.

Even if you couldn't get some animators together, what about approaching some graphic artists to provide the base assets so that you could put something together?

Just a thought. I know how long and tedious this stuff can take.

Top Bottom