• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Video Essays on film and gaming

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
"Final Fantasy VII - A Literary Analysis" on Games As Literature:

Really nice, long video that talks deeply about (among other things) the core themes in FFVII, and how the devs created the story and world of the game to bring these themes across to its audience.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The part on Menu-Based Content is something I very much understand. I get *very* frustrated in action games when I know the overall strategy I have to do but don't have the reflexes needed to pull it off. Which was one of the reasons I started playing older Final Fantasy games in the first place...

Nowadays I play a lot more Visual Novels and (older) isometric RPGs. They keep the story focus without the more active combat and are less frustrating over all. Or I play FFXIV because the Global CoolDown system it uses might as well be called 2.5 Sec ATB...

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
Indigo Gaming's been making a documentary about the cyberpunk genre, from its origins, common themes and tropes, and the developments it's undergone throughout decades of fictional works in the genre across all types of media. Planned as a four-part documentary, they've currently released the first two.

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1:

PART 2:

Top Bottom