Vincent Valentine - The "John Wick" of FFVII Remake?

Grimm1989

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that when Vincent gets introduced in whichever future part of the remake, his character update might include him having a certain reputation in certain circles, not dissimilar to the kind we see, John Wick has within the assassin community in his movies.

I can totally see him as something of a living legend in the past for the Turks. Elena might even become a little star-struck, and Reno being who he is will just have to mess with the crimson gunslinger in some way to see if the stories were true.

Am I thinking too much with my imagination or do you think this could be a legit route the development team would take with his character?

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
It's possible. Honestly though, I hope it follows the OG, in where we never learned of any knowledge. Then again, I didn't mind how the knowledge of Vincent went down in Dirge of Cerberus. I guess I'm okay with waiting...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’m not sure if Vincent will remain a secret character or not, but if/when we acquire him, I imagine it will open up a lot of opportunities for us to dive deeper into Shinra’s history.

Of course, this has been possible with fan fiction for decades, and I kind of consider the Remake very pretty fanfiction by the original creators.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I have absolutely no basis for this, but I feel like Yuffie and Vincent are going to be much more integral to the story this time around, with all-new storylines created for them. For instance, I think Wutai will be given a more significant role, perhaps Yuffie takes up a more direct anti-shinra motivation and tries to lead her own little wutai revival group that the party gets mixed up with. For Vincent, I think his role as a former turk might be explored more. Maybe he knows some old Shinra secrets that the party utilizes to meet some goal.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
If Vincent's gameplay style plays like he does as in DoC, calling him a John Wick of the VII universe would be a very long stretch.....:wacky:

Though, I thought that Vincent's status within ShinRa was a bit of a secret in that he was assigned to protect those working on the Jenova Project, and only a few Turks knew about him/what happened to him. I mean, aside from what happened to Vincent, we never get to see his past exploits as a Turk. For all we know, he could have been like the worst Turk ever, whose only saving grace was his shooting skills. :monster:

.....actually, wasn't it kinda established in DoC that Turk!Vincent was not very good at being a Turk, or am I just being delusional with my headcanon fantasies again?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love Vincent as a character, but I've always seen him as entirely different: the incompetent Turk who got himself snuffed while on a simple bodyguarding mission. He was a bit of an embarassment to the department due to his sentimental attitude and his habit of falling romantically in love with all the wrong people, and was quickly forgotten once he disappeared. IMHO, calling someone a bad Turk is a compliment and a tribute to his character. Do you seriously think Hojo could have got the drop on Rude or Reno?

The FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania states about Vincent that "His marksmanship skills were unparalleled in his days as a Turk."

Excellent gunman but a hopeless romantic. So yes, I'd say there are surface-level similarities between Vincent and John Wick. Though if Vincent was ever to be referred to as baba yaga it would be because he now transforms into monsters rather than because of how good he was with a gun in ages past.

It'd be interesting though if modern day Turks, who never met Vincent, can still make out who he is. I hope we'll get moments like those and hear what the Turks have to say about- and to Vincent.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
The FFVII 10th Anniversary Ultimania states about Vincent that "His marksmanship skills were unparalleled in his days as a Turk."

Excellent gunman but a hopeless romantic. So yes, I'd say there are surface-level similarities between Vincent and John Wick. Though if Vincent was ever to be referred to as baba yaga it would be because he now transforms into monsters rather than because of how good he was with a gun in ages past.

It'd be interesting though if modern day Turks, who never met Vincent, can still make out who he is. I hope we'll get moments like those and hear what the Turks have to say about- and to Vincent.

So, there is reason to believe he was considered a legend among Turks.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Don't get me wrong, I love Vincent as a character, but I've always seen him as entirely different: the incompetent Turk who got himself snuffed while on a simple bodyguarding mission. He was a bit of an embarassment to the department due to his sentimental attitude and his habit of falling romantically in love with all the wrong people, and was quickly forgotten once he disappeared. IMHO, calling someone a bad Turk is a compliment and a tribute to his character. Do you seriously think Hojo could have got the drop on Rude or Reno?
Sure? Rude messes up every mission we see him on becausr of his crush on Tifa. Reno allows Tseng's affections for Aerith to interfere with his mission of capturing the Ancient for years.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Vincent was a bodyguard to Hojo and Lucretia while they went about their successful experiment. He got shot, he also is the only Turk with a postive mission completion record in the Original Game. It's not on him that Lucretia's body changes thanks to her using herself as subject in bodily experimentation.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Which mission did Vincent positively complete? He didn't "get shot", he allowed himself to be shot by Hojo.
How? No less Tifa, Aerith and Cloud allowed a cage to be dropped on them. Or Palmer allowed that truck to back into him. It wasn't all Advent Children physics back then, when someone you work for pulls a gun out and pulls the trigger there's not always time to react. And again, he was a bodyguard, he guarded the doctors from outside threats while they conducted their experiment. Not assume authority to stop the experiment. Vincent should never have seen it was failing to protect Lucretia from Hojo, Vincent and Lucretia and this is what success for Shinra looks like. Hojo is part of larger problem that they are all part off.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Sorry, I just don't accept that the Turks of the OG look back on the golden age of Vincent Valentine and see him as some kind of towering legendary representative of Turk greatness. They already have a Legend. He's called the Legendary Turk, and he's not Vincent.

So yeah, I remember people saying that people were overhyping Vinnie, when in-game he does have a legendary status.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Sorry, I just don't accept that the Turks of the OG look back on the golden age of Vincent Valentine and see him as some kind of towering legendary representative of Turk greatness. They already have a Legend. He's called the Legendary Turk, and he's not Vincent.

The Legend and Veldt, despite the Turks worshipping the very air they breathe, turned out to be mere flawed men as well. This is just how the Turks are like about their predecessors, no evidence that Vincent was some huge exception to this.

Indeed. Veld and the Legend were flawed men. Veld was revered for being like a father to them. Not a role Vincent ever fulfilled afawk. The Legend was called the Legend but he didn't seem to be particularly revered in BC aside from his killing prowess. We have zero evidence that the Turks revered the "legend of Vincent Valentine".

Look, yet again I find myself in the position of saying, if this is somebody's headcanon, I wish them every happiness with it. But it's not mine and I see no compelling reason in canon to think it might be true. Now admittedly Vincent was an optional character and so it might have been difficult to work in a rapturous, "Look! Can it be? Is that -" gasp - "Vincent Valentine?" from Rude or Reno. Or even Elena. And if it turns out that the Remake decides to take him in that direction I guess I'll eat my controller or something. But there's just no reason to suppose he was seen as an exceptional Turk and there's no evidence that he actually was an exceptional Turk. Maybe he was just a pretty bog-standard ordinary Turk who was good at sharpshooting. I personally think that would make him a more interesting character, but chacun a son gout.

Celes777

Pro Adventurer
AKA
We simply don't know how many missions Vincent has completed or missed before, because it was never mentioned.

I don't see Vincent failed protecting Lucrecia and Hojo, because those two fxxxed themselves up :mon:. Like, they wanted to do some voodoo to themselves. You can't really interfere with that:mon:

If we say Vincent wasn't able yo save Lucrecia, then yeah...he didn't try to stop Gast, L and Hojo early enough. He doubted their choice and accepted it for a while and only took action later.

But I'm not sure Vincent allowed himself to be shot...I mean yes, he was careless/bad enough that Hojo shot him, but he didn't intentionally want to be shot...

I like the idea that Vincent has a reputation being an excellent Turk, but a legend...iuno. Does his reputation among the Turks surpass that of Sephiroth among SOLDIERs?

I also don't understand why would like, the top killer/spy/agent/whatever be sent to be a bodyguard. Isn't that a waste???

I always have the theory that Vincent wanted out or he wanted to find his father or some shit. But thats completely my imagination:puppy:

Grimm1989

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Lots of great responses and just to remind everyone, this thought of mine was a huge "what if?" in my head so there really is no right or wrong answer, especially if it involves what changes the remake might take on Vincent's character in the future.

Top Bottom