Warlords of Draenor

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Im generally not an apologist for video games and most products.
The only reason im playing in WoD is because i was semi interested in it and my friends convinced me to hop by buying me the game and the xpac again via in game gold.

I did play briefly many years ago but ended up quitting. So I dont think im really biased in Blizzards favor and im definitely not writing this from the perspective of someone experiencing post purchase rationalization.

Also im playing on Sargeras. So definitely high pop player here.

Just like the last four expansions, the launch went poorly to say the least.

While yes its not smooth I gotta say its anything but poor.

Any other game with even a fraction of the log in volume that WoW has been getting the last few days would be 100% offline for the entirety of the event. It blows my mind that we can even make it past the log in screen.

It's not nearly as poor as it could have been and it is clear that Bizzard has found ways over the years to try and mitigate the high threshold of log ins to a playable extent despite being Ddos by trolls and also being slammed by legitimate log ins.

To actually play the game you will need to wait. It will take between 90 minutes and 5 hours to sign on

BS. Haven't seen any wait times longer then an estimated 2 hours even on patch day.
And the estimate is always wrong any way. It always go down significantly. At worst a 2 hour wait becomes a 40 minute wait.

You need to kill 8 of a particular monster, so do the other 1500 players in your immediate area, so good luck with that.

More BS. It is phased. Maybe you play on a generally low to medium pop server normally and havent seen people in game in high volume but it is phased. 1500 players is completely made up.

so after hours of waiting you will likely get less than 15 minutes of time in game. That monthly charge on your credit card seems so worth it.

Played 4 hours straight during peak just fine yesterday on Sarg. And lol at the charge slant. Oh no your missing out on 5 cents of your purchase!

@General chat point. I agree General chat fucking sucks, but its not like that is either unique or new to WoW lol.

Surprised you didnt talk about the quests which imo have been lackluster to be entirely fair.

tl;dr Your pretty naive if you expected smooth sailing on ANY large game or service on patch day. Anyone remember PS4/Xbone launch?

Just because Blizzard has launched big xpacs before does not suddenly make them pros or exempt in the field of getting DDOS/DOS'd. To give credit where its due at least you can log in that is honestly saying a lot considering the log in volume.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
It took me 8 hours being in a queue to log in yesterday, I've been in a queue for 7 hours so far today and still 1095th in queue.

Then some of the phasing was bugged and everytime you went near a Garrison you got stuck.

When I managed to play for a couple hours last night I got from 90-94 pretty easy, the world looks nice and some of the story is good but yeah they can't blame all of the issues on alleged DDOS attacks.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
you went near a Garrison you got stuck.

Got this a shit ton as well.

Also when running dungeons on my alt I would keep falling out of the sky morrowind style when I would leave the instance group or TP out ._.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I haven't played since Cataclysm came out. Is it worth it to play again? I don't think my computer can even handle it anymore, though. :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Its not anything amazing I think. Definitely better than Cata but you arent missing out on much.

I'd only pick it up if your up for playing WoW with a bit of new flavor other wise you can pass lol.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I really want to like WoW, but despite having invested hundreds of hours in it... it just didn't stick :monster:.

Okay I probably made a mistake early on after buying it; I played for a couple of weeks, then slowly lost interest, but then joined a guild of other Dutch people and I was interested again... but also convinced by my friend to join him on a private server, with 4x or 10x XP rates, so a few weeks later I was at level 70 (at the time) and was like "ok now what".

He lasted a lot longer, IDK :monster:.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
WoW can never stick with me, it is far too complex for me to enjoy let alone have any investment on it. I'd rather venture IRL.

Gladiatorial matches like MOBAs DOTA 2 and LoL can offer though, now that is basking in glory .

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I was in an awesome guild with really awesome people who liked to have fun. Not one if those guilds that were super serious and treated WoW like a job with shifts and the like. But they all moved on to other servers, and I thought Cata was boring. Deathwing wasn't a very interesting villain in the slightest.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Well here we are a week later and everything is as it should be. The phasing was not working the night of launch, but was working by the morning. The surge in players has basically disappeared.

Not really sure why WoW has so many problems. Played Everquest at its peak, and it never had half as many problems.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Well here we are a week later and everything is as it should be. The phasing was not working the night of launch, but was working by the morning. The surge in players has basically disappeared.

Not really sure why WoW has so many problems. Played Everquest at its peak, and it never had half as many problems.

Tbf im sure EQ never broke 1 million players back in the day lol , much less 10 million :monster:

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
Done everything there is to do until December 2nd when the raid comes out :(

Levelling was pretty quick, maxxed my gear in heroics, collected the treasures from each zone, done professions, done the anniversary event stuff. Other than levelling another character I don't know what to do now.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Know that feel.

I'm just trying to corner the market on a few WoD mats now to see how rich I can get.
Ill probably keep this up for awhile and then give the gold to friends and quit lol.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
The lack of flying in this expansion really has me down. Has made fishing and archeology a huge pain in the ass. No idea why they decided to go without flying, has made doing a lot of things much more of a chore.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
As long as add-ons like "handy notes" exist, there is no real challenge. I know that flying will be added back in sooner or later. Would be surprised if it was before the second major content patch.

Top Bottom