...Webtoon Thread?

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Respect the Manhwa-Webtoon!

These past months I've been REALLY into this genre of entertainment, so much so I have practically deserted manga and it even hold some higher than anime.

Webtoon are a bit different from Webcomics (they are strictly stories from Korea) so I decided to make a different thread when talking about this.

So, do any of you like them nearly as much as I do? What is your favorite series?

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Watched Tower of God on a whim this past weekend.

Refused to accept this 1 season bullshit.

Found the manwha. Got caught up. 489 chapters in three days.

I need this story in an IV drip.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Oh boy... Here, have a list of the stuff I'd recommend to people... All can be found on here: https://www.webtoons.com/en/

Action Stuff
Viral Hit
- the trails of running a YouTube channel + martial arts + god-tier character devlopemnt; by the author of Lookism
Omniscient Reader - supernatural stuff invades the real world for reasons and the MC just got finished reading the webnovel of the events
Rebirth - think zombie apocalypse... with multiple people time-traveling back to the start of it independently of each other and only some of them are aware other people have time-traveled...
UnOrdinary - think My Hero Academia if superheros were never a thing but the general power ranking system was even more ingrained in society
Unholy Blood - vampires try to take over Korea (it's honestly one of the better takes on vampires i've seen in a long time); and the main pairing is cute for all the right reasons
The God of Highschool - the Masquerade gets broken as a reincarnated? Sun WuKong shows up *without* a power nerf... good thing to as a bunch of gods show up that don't like humans...
Hardcore Leveling Warrior - think Ready Player One if it had a much larger cast and a lot more compelling plot out in the "real world"... and if the game wasn't exactly a game...
The Gamer - The Trope Codifer of "RPG UI shows up in the real world because supernatural stuff starts happening" trope. If you want to know where all the Korean "real life turned into an RPG" plots got their initial ideas from, it's from here.
Return to Player - supernatural stuff invades the real world for reasons and the MC get the opportunity to buy some DLC so he can play through the events again with different choices this time around
Lookism - take the concept "never judge a book by it's front cover"... now add swapping between two very different bodies... now put it all in a gangster martial arts drama with god-tier character development for quite literally everyone

Drama Stuff
City of Blank
- weird beings called blanks steal people's faces/memories/identities and how everyone deals with that; the art style is fun
Simon Sues - modern supernatural setting; everything i've ever wanted out of a "people make deals with devils and a lawyer gives them legal advice on how to get out of it" premise
The Red King - modern supernatural setting; spoiled rich kid goes after what looks like a supernatural thief of a bio-engineered apple and finds himself in some very weird supernatural company he likes better than his own family; very good modern take on a lot of very old fairy-tail tropes
Like Wind on a Dry Branch - fantasy setting; womanizer lord with a harem saves a woman from being killed after her husbands death... meanwhile, his mother, the empresses is a schemer against him... the truth of the situation is... a bit more nuanced than that
Your Throne - historical fantasy setting; two women discover they can body swap just right about the time they also find out the current emperor is abusing both of them in different ways; and both of them get to scheming in different ways to ruin him
The Snake and the Flower - historical setting; a blind musician and the woman the emperor wants as a trophy wife plot to take out the emperor in revenge
Shiloh - modern fantasy setting; in a dystopia, a cop discovers a murder which leads her on a chase into the outskirts of civilization where some... really odd things are; amazing art
Locker & Opener - modern setting; a cop has the ability to open *anything*; a criminal has the ability to *lock* anything; and they engaged in a game of cat and mouse after discovering the other exists; the author's ability to come up with some very crazy and disturbing uses of those abilities makes this one shine
Stray Souls - fantasy setting; a bunch of people fleeing an abusive king/government all end up mixed together; the art and world-building are really good

Romance Stuff
SubZero
- fantasy setting; arranged marriage to bring an end to a war ends up uncovering a lot of *other* political problems that were slowly simmering in the meantime
The Witch and the Bull - fantasy setting; the war between the witch and human nations has slowed considerably, but tensions are still high when the King's Advisor gets turned into a bull and ends up crashing into a witch who might be able to help fix it; phenomenal artwork
The Makeup Remover - modern setting; plain girl runs into make-up artist guy and takes part in a beauty pageant
Secret Playlist - modern setting; music idol and YouTube cover artist start to notice each other; this one stuck out to me because the author tends to nix the worst of the relationship misunderstanding tropes and have the drama be more focused on external conflicts instead
Midnight Poppy Land - modern setting; small town girl runs into big city gangster... who really would probably prefer to get out of the gang he and the guy he's a bodyguard for were practically born into
Lore Olympus - modern fantasy setting; reimagining of Hades and Persephone's story as well as a bunch of other greek myths
The Remarried Empress - historical fantasy setting; a competent Empress' husband is divorcing her because he wants to marry his mistress... too bad he forgot that the Empress is a very competent woman whose better at planning that he is
My Dear Cold-Blooded King - historical setting; the MC finds herself involved with the two men trying to transition the kingdom from an abusive emperor to a more fair rule; and she tends to *think* about how she feels more than the other way around...

Other Stuff
If AI Ruled the World
- Sci-Fi anthology of the various ways the AI in the setting interact with humans
Stagtown - small-town Horror (more psychological than gore); the protagonist is one of the smartest horror protagonists i've seen in a while
With Creek Road - interconnected lovecrafian Horror stories (some gore, but not a lot); the author's ability to make a fusion of a bunch of different mythologies and lovecraftian ideas makes for a great read
Seed - Sci-Fi; the MC downloads a chat-bot onto her phone that is... much, much more than a chat-bot...

TLDR: If you want a rough top 11 list from everything above (organized by title length!)...

My Dear Cold-Blooded King
Hardcore Leveling Warrior
The God of High School
The Witch and the Bull
Midnight Poppy Land
The Red King
City of Blank
Simon Sues
Stray Souls
Lookism
Shiloh

And this would be why I don't have any time for *anime* anymore... I'm too busy reading this stuff...

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Here are three that recentely read and liked a lot:

Purple_Hyacinth_Banner.png
Purple Hyacinth
(On-going): early 1900s(?) setting, crime thriller, featuring a detective with the gift to identify if someone is lying who co-operates with a assassin to dismantle a crime organization and uncovering the secrets behind an accident for years ago.

The lead characters are my type of pretty and hot :wacky:

portada-entrevista-miriam-bonastre-hooky.jpg

Hooky (Completed): modern fantasy setting, with two sibling wanting to lear witchcraft, pretty simple and charming story.

5.jpg

Girls of the Wild's (Completed): Action-Romance, with girls fighting, also girls fighting that may have feelings for the average looking MC.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Love this thread, fav webtoons of all time are

Tower of god - been reading this for years now, anime also freaking awesome

Sweet home - webtoon has finished but the live action Netflix adaption awesome!

God of highschool - been reading for years and anime also freaking awesome

Noblesse - anime also freaking awesome

The gamer - needs an anime adaption

Kubera - needs an anime adaption

Gosu - desperately needs an anime adaption

UnOrdinary - for the love of all that is holy please make this into an anime it's freaking amazing!!

Mage and demon queen - hilarious fanservice.

The boxer - just started this, really enjoying the writing and art so far.

Girls of the wild - brilliant story and artwork and one of the best endings I've seen for this type of plot.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
This is great stuff everyone ? As someone who just discovered webtoons, it's like stumbling into a giant free buffet of awesome.

Might try UnOrdinary as a next step, seems like another popular gateway drug like ToG. Stray Souls and Girls of the Wild seem to get mentioned a lot as well.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
UnOrdinary is really good and the emotional roller-coster the characters go through in it is really hard to watch at times, but also very satisfying to see come to a conclusion. It's also a really good time to get into it as the author/artist just stared a mid-season break and there's... 250 episodes of it...

It's also the reason I can't watch/read My Hero Academia and take it seriously...

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Just wanted to say the recommendations in here were fantastic. Still going through them. There is just too much good stuff out there. Feels like pumping quarters at an arcade every week.... need mooooooooaaaaar

Shit is about to hit the motherfucking fan in UnOrdinary. Holy hell. This season finale will be every bit as great as the last one. Yes, this really really needs an anime. Let's gooooooo!

Obviously Tower of God is going strong. Lately it's been non stop whoop ass. Kinda miss the old gang though... good thing S2 of the anime is on the way.

Girls of the Wilds. Need anime. Need Moonyoung beating the stool guy animated. Need Queen being an invincible billionare supermodel animated. Need Jaegu kicking through a car window like Liu Kang animated. Need sequel. I want a time skip with a new MC but all the old faces stop by. Let's see how everyone's doing. We need at least one wedding where a beatdown is administered.

Return To Player has been fun so far. I kinda want the absurdly overpowered MC to experience actual danger more often, but... you know. "Hey kid. It ain't that kind of movie."

Was really enjoying Purple Hyacinth, sadly one of the authors is having health issues. Get well!

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Thread necro +1

Should probably add a few others to my previous list

The breaker: eternal force - next installment in the breaker series but fuck is it good. Got into this years ago and it's always been a fantastic murim series with amazing action sequences

Omniscient Reader: Another brilliant series filled with tonnes of action, based on the human world going to shit while playing out games for histories most influential figureheads or gods.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Omniscient Reader: Another brilliant series filled with tonnes of action, based on the human world going to shit while playing out games for histories most influential figureheads or gods.
I've got the webnovel of that downloaded onto my phone, I read it on the tube lol. I've been told it goes to some crazy places, like the initial premise is only scratching the surface...

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I've got the webnovel of that downloaded onto my phone, I read it on the tube lol. I've been told it goes to some crazy places, like the initial premise is only scratching the surface...
Yeah I mean the initial premise is enough to intrigue you but it pulls you in quicker than a lass from the red light district!

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
COMES CRASHING IN THROUGH THE WINDOW ORV ORV ORV ORV Ize press, please release the novel version soon, kthnxbai Did you guys hear about the live action adaptation of ORV? :wacky:

Some of my favorite series I've been reading/collecting print versions of:

Navillera: Like a Butterfly
Villains are Destined to Die
Who Made Me a Princess
Not Sew Wicked Stepmom
For Better or For Worse
Wait Where the Shooting Star Falls
Secret Lady
A Stepmother's Marchen
I Married the Male Lead's Dad
His Majesty's Secret Heroine
The Villainess is a Marionette

Yes, I'm well aware most of these are romance fantasy, but trust me, they're all masterpieces in terms of art (VaDtD and ViaM and WWtSSF are my personal faves, art style wise) and story (SL, ASM, IMtMLD)

and of course, Solo Leveling gets an obligatory mention here -- I've been trying to get my hands on the novel version but every time I look for volume 2, it's never in stock.

Top Bottom