What are you reading?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You're welcome <3

The Hedge Knight, by GRRM. 'Cause I couldn't sleep. Decent story, not great though.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Now onto a Clash of Kings. I think I'll just pick up the rest of the books this month so I can go from one to the other without having a pause in between.

Yes that's an indication of how much I enjoyed them. xD

KnightInHeaven

...kupo?
AKA
MagetikKnight_FinalHeaven, Celes Lockhart, the Ex-General, Starbucks's Fanatic, Colossal Pillar of Regal Deity
Batman: The Heart of Hush ^_^

laurence

Pro Adventurer
Now onto a Clash of Kings. I think I'll just pick up the rest of the books this month so I can go from one to the other without having a pause in between.

Yes that's an indication of how much I enjoyed them. xD

it's pretty much what I did during the previous summer holiday, staying inside more than I should, maybe, but I was glad to catch up before the show's new season aired.

Recently finished Boquitas Pintadas by Manuel Puig (again), and now into the 2nd part of Roberto Bolaño's 2666 (which, by the way, was recommended in the recommend thread by Aaron, so thanks).

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
A Night in the Lonesome October, by Roger Zelazny.

Someone once bet Zelazny he couldn't make a reader support and root for Jack the Ripper. This book was the result.

This is a story about how "a number of the proper people are attracted to the proper place in the proper year on a night in the lonesome October when the moon shines full on Halloween and the way may be opened for the return of the Elder Gods to Earth, and of how some of these people would assist in the opening of the way for them while others would strive to keep the way closed. For ages, the closers have won, often just barely... And the people would acquire certain tools and other objects of power, meet together at the designated spot and attempt to work their wills".

The Great and the Good (well... the well known, at least) of horror are called to attendance. The Good Doctor and his Experiment Man, the Count, Jack with his knife, the Mad Russian Monk, an American called Larry Talbot... Drawn by the weirdness and disruption are the Great Detective and his Companion.

Each Player in the Game has an animal familiar. This is, primarily, their story: the narrator is Snuff, the canine familiar to Jack. Through the thirty-one days, we follow as the Game progresses, and the Players seek to determine each other's allegiance: an Opener, seeking to summon the Elder Gods, or a Closer, seeking to maintain the current order.

KnightInHeaven

...kupo?
AKA
MagetikKnight_FinalHeaven, Celes Lockhart, the Ex-General, Starbucks's Fanatic, Colossal Pillar of Regal Deity
Revenge Wears Prada ¬ Lauren Weisberger

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Rant - Chuck Palahniuk

I'm only on the third chapter but I have a feeling that the story is similar to Fight Club. I hope I'm wrong.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
edit: lol my previous poast was wrong thread.

Pratchett - Thud!

Because Mr. Shine. Him Diamond!

laurence

Pro Adventurer
Done with 2666. Excellent book, even though the fourth part is very macabre. I especially enjoyed the part about the critics (the first part) and Archimboldi's part (the last one).
Now I'm starting to read Bartleby y Compañía by Enrique Vila-Matas.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer.

I read the first one to my brother and we loved it so much, I bought the second just before we finished it. We're six chapters with this one and it's just as brilliant as its predecessor, although we think it's bound to be even better this time.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Recently finished yet another re-read of The Wheel of Time, which is an absolutely fantastic fantasy series by the now deceased Robert Jordan. Brandon Sanderson did a good job of concluding the series for him, though the final part left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with the lack of use of some characters and some storylines that were just not completely tied off, or in some extents just thrown to a conclusion, but you can forgive that for such an impressive saga that has spanned 13 odd books.

Now I've begun on an old fantasy series called Winter of the World by Michael Scott Rohan. Enjoying it so far. The use of the magic within the series - smithcraft - feels very unique and interesting, but the rest of the story around that is unfortunately pretty much your usual fare and expectations. Still, a likeable read and about to start the third part.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Well having recently (about a month ago) watched all three seasons of Game of Thrones, I am now reading Game of Thrones. It is interesting seeing how different the characters are in the source material vs the show.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Just finished reading Blacksad. I've two words to describe it: PURE AWESOMENESS.

2904666-01.jpg

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
^Fantastic read, or at least there's a lot to work with when criticising it for essays and such.

Reading On Writing by Stephen King in my own time, have to read Vlad for college but from what I've been told it's decent

Novus

Pro Adventurer
^Fantastic read, or at least there's a lot to work with when criticising it for essays and such.

It was okay I'll do some internet reading on it later. I actually preferred the film, Apocalypse now which I thought was for mystifying and nihilist.
I'm going to work my way through colonial themed literature.

Currently reading Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
the Necronomicon, some take on the book from 2004. It's pretty bland, not exactly creepy maddening horror like original Lovecraft work. But, I'm pretty sure this book was used as the inspiration for Nile's Ithyphallic album, so it's still valid.

Ghost X

No one here gets out alive

A biography of Jim Morrison of The Doors fame. Interesting story. I am only about a quarter of the way through, but I have got the impression so far that he was an intelligent, creepy, and eccentric kind of person.

Top Bottom