• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What are you reading?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Finished it. Good if painful read. It seems like a very honest book to me, no sugarcoating, no sensationalising. That could be just good writing, but it feels like truth.

Edit: Also I think Netflix Daredevil plagiarised it.

Last edited:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Just finished Fire and Blood (history of Westeros up to Aegon III). Enjoyable, much more condensed than the ASOIAF books so much lighter reading. There's a few points in there which seem to redact lore from the books and by extension the TV show so methinks it was released before Winds of Winter and the final season specifically to circumvent fan nit-picking.
It's an interesting overview of some of the houses (how Storm's End came to be the seat of the Baratheons and the establishment of the house itself), touches on the Doom of Valyria, lots of dragons, the construction of Kings Landing, conquests and of course the associated hazards of ruling Westeros. There's a few bits even a casual observer will recognise
like how three dragon eggs came to be outside of Westeros even after the extinction of dragons
so it's well worth a read. The narrative tone is quite enjoyable, you could almost imagine a maester telling the saga to his young charges.

Val

Pro Adventurer
I've started up Dune after giving up on The Grapes of Wrath about 400 pages in. Not trying to force myself through pages every time I go to read. Dune in one page was more enjoyable than any portion I read from TGoW. Sorry Steinbeck. I'm not far in, so I imagine it will pick up soon and I'll get more engrossed in it too.

Interesting to hear Fire and Blood is lighter reading. I do intend on picking it up eventually, might be a couple months yet though. I never finished World despite enjoying it, but I am eager to see what F&B offers. That said I'm sure I'll have several years to go through it before Winds :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I once read a blurb somewhere that basically said to not feel guilty about not finishing a book if you have to force yourself, or something in that direction :monster:.

I've got some dystopian novels because they were on my to read list for a long time; Fahrenheit 451 (?) and Animal Farm are on my shelf atm. I seem to have lost my ability to focus on a book for extended periods of time though. Maybe I should go to bed at 10 PM again like I used to a long time ago. Even at my previous house (~5 years ago) I found / made the time to read all of GoT before sleeping over the span of idk, a year? I forgot. Before the last book was released in any case.

re: Dune, the first book is enjoyable enough; the following books are a bit more difficult IMO, in that they (as far as I can remember) are a mix of historical books (as if telling the history of the universe from the perspective of those that made it) and a political or philosophical treatsie. There's one book which IIRC is mostly
the titular dude chatting about stuff for 90% of the book

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
So, now that 2018 is over, I did some Goodreads magic to look up mah reading stats. Soooooooo.....

Attachments

• goodbooks.JPG
    goodbooks.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 3

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
I AM READING SUCH GOOD BOOKS. Last year my friend leant me the first book in The Daevabad Trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty (The City of Brass) and I adored it! Easily up there with one of my favourite books of all time. It's set in the middle east in like the 1800s or something and it's all about djinn and ifrits and warring clans and tense complicated politics and it's so beautiful and I love it and the second book just came out (The Kingdom of Copper) and it's also SO good and the politics is SO tense and all the characters I love are making it difficult by being SO badly behaved and hhnnnnn. My mate read the entire 600 page thing in a single day and like I'm not her but I do desperately need the knowledge of the story in my brain right right now. Joe's been reading it over my shoulder so he can attest to how good it is. I'm just over halfway on both right now which is a complicated thing about how poor my time management is etc. but also at least some things are fresh in my mind idk hahaha. My friend literally won't see me until I've finished it and we can talk about it so :monster:

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I've been reading the first Eragon book. Always been curious about the series, one of those ones that kind of passed me by.

Turns out it kinda sucks, but it kinda sucks in the way a lot of fanfiction can suck, but still be entertaining enough.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Eragon is tropey as fuck, and it only got the press because the author was young, :monster:.

The movie is even worse though <_<

I'm reading Coders by Clive Thompson atm, it's a pretty good look at software developers, from history to current trends, from the introverted personality types to the rise of the brogrammer; it goes into why there's so few women in the field and where the gender shift came from, as well as modern day politics and ethics; open source software, encryption and the debate between privacy vs crime, etc. It's both very dense in information yet it's easily enough to plow through - although mind you, that's because from my point of view pretty much every subject is a "Oh, I've heard about this, this looks familiar".

Anyway good book, can recommend a read if you're interested in the culture of software development.

Top Bottom