What classic quotes do you hope they keep?

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
FFVII has so many great lines, I hope they with the remake they keep at least a few intact. For instance, the hilarious dialogue between Tifa and Barret while climbing the stairs in Shinra HQ - things like "Stop acting like a retard and climb!", Barret's endless pestering of Tifa about whether they're at the top yet, and Tifa getting all embarassed and telling Cloud and Barret to go ahead of her after realizing they could see up her skirt.

Also, Cid's famous "Sit down and drink your g'd TEA!!" would be great to hear, as well as when he goes after the train in North Corel: "Do you know who I am? I'm Cid, that's who I am! So just let me handle it!"

And of course, hearing Cloud tell everyone "Let's mosey!" would be awesome as well, as would hearing Cid chewing him out for it and telling him to "say it like a man!"

If they did an homage to Aerith's classic "This guy are sick." that would be so funny and priceless. Maybe something like this:

Aerith: This guy are sick.
Cloud: What the hell...?
Aerith: I mean, this guy is sick. Sorry about that, I don't know what came over me.
Cloud: Mix up your verbs much?
Aerith: *smiles sheepishly*

So what classic lines do you all hope they keep?

I don't think they could keep "stop acting like a retard". People would find it too offensive nowadays.

I like your idea for the notorious Aerith grammar flub.

I really hope they keep, "By retreating today, we remain victorious!"

TBH I hope they change as little as possible.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
A sword slash filled with grief and anger lands true, and Jenova-LIFE is slain. It's writhing, mucous coated form now collapsed in on itself as the calamity begins to dissolve on the altar of the Forgotten Capital. It's inhuman face looks up at Cloud, a fang-filled maw grinning as black blood dribbles from its makeshift lips.

"Beacause you are...A puppet." It hisses.

"...Wait what? What did you say??"

"Ah! S-Sorry! I-I meant... Oh shi-." Jenova melts away.

".....Well that was awkward...For a first spoken line..."

Turlast

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Barrett: "Yeah, you're strong.
Probably all them guys in SOLDIER are.
But don't forget that your skinny ass's workin' for AVALANCHE now!
Don't get no ideas 'bout hangin' on to Shinra."

Heidegger: "......Gya haa haa!"

Rufus: "Stop that stupid horse laugh."

Cid: "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!"

There's so many more, but those quickly came to mind.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
"There ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on!" - Barret, 1997

Someone somewhere (ChipNoir on GameFAQs?) suggested the "This guy are sick" quote being written on a sign (or on the door?) next to the entrance to the sick guy's home. then Aerith reads the sign out loud and goes "This guy are sick. Wait... That's not right."
That's what I remember and I like this suggestion. Can you verify this, @ChipNoir ?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
"There ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on!" - Barret, 1997

Someone somewhere (ChipNoir on GameFAQs?) suggested the "This guy are sick" quote being written on a sign (or on the door?) next to the entrance to the sick guy's home. then Aerith reads the sign out loud and goes "This guy are sick. Wait... That's not right."
That's what I remember and I like this suggestion. Can you verify this, @ChipNoir ?
It ain't me.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Ok, then I'm misremembering. Was quite a while ago (2 or so years?). In any case, I'd be happy if they incorporated that line in this fashion.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Cloud
Huh? Finger!? What the hell?

Finger
I'm the position cursor!! Call me whenever you're walking around confused!
Push the [SELECT] button and I'll appear over your shiny little head.

Cloud
Geez, you stand out even more than I do...

Finger
Am I in the way? If so, just push the [SELECT] button one more time.
I'm pretty busy myself, and can't always come when you need me. If I don't show up sometimes, don't get mad.
Later!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I've seen a lot of people hoping for "This guy are sick" to be "preserved" -- but being that it was a grammatical bloop in a localization, it's not going to be what she says in Japanese in the remake, and so it's almost certainly not going to be possible to work it into the localization of the remake. Count on it being gone, folks.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I've seen a lot of people hoping for "This guy are sick" to be "preserved" -- but being that it was a grammatical bloop in a localization, it's not going to be what she says in Japanese in the remake, and so it's almost certainly not going to be possible to work it into the localization of the remake. Count on it being gone, folks.

T-This guy are wrong!!! :@

Jairus

Still, I'm sure they know how it was originally translated and how well-known and loved that particular blooper is, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to do some kind of nod to it.

Another line I hope they keep is when Sephiroth leaves the Shinra Mansion to find Jenova during the Nibelheim flashback:

"Out of my way. I'm going to find my mother."

And Cait Sith's unexpected and mysterious fortune:

"What you seek will be yours. But you will lose something dear."

Jairus

Honestly though, the rest of the world doesn't care about the "beloved" English localization errors. I don't want memes shoehorned into the dialogue thank you very much :monster:

Doesn't necessarily have to be shoehorned. The approach Vyz brought up is perfectly feasible and believable. It's not unrealistic for some of the people of the slums to not be as educated as others, and so someone might have written that phrase on a sign near the guy's place, like Vyz mentioned, and Aerith reads it and realizes it doesn't sound right. A natural, unforced approach and I'll admit, better in that regard than my own idea. SE isn't going to just ignore its English audience simply because it's not the rest of the world. English speakers are a part of SE's audience, too, and throwing a few subtle nods in like that won't hurt anything.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@Jairus
That suggestion comes off as big-time forced to me.

Also, this might be the first time I've ever heard the possibility of Square delivering a faithful, accurate, quality localization described as "just ignoring its English audience."

Reactions: Ite

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
@Jairus
That suggestion comes off as big time forced to me.

Also, this might be the first time I've ever heard the possibility of Square delivering a faithful, accurate, quality localization described as "just ignoring its English audience."
How is that "big time force" if it's an optional and small interaction meant as a reference or Easter egg? It's not shoved in your face and naturally ties itself into the environment.

Also, if they relegate that grammatical error to a sign and not into Aerith's actual speech, I don't know what that has to do with equating "faithful, accurate, quality localization " to "just ignoring its English audience" as you put it.

Unless we're not talking about the same suggestion :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
How is that "big time force" if it's an optional and small interaction meant as a reference or Easter egg? It's not shoved in your face and naturally ties itself into the environment. Also, if they relegate that grammatical error to a sign and not into Aerith's actual speech ...

"Aerith reads it and realizes it doesn't sound right" would be incorporating it into her actual speech.

Vyzz said:
I don't know what that has to do with equating "faithful, accurate, quality localization " to "just ignoring its English audience" as you put it.
Ask @Jairus since that was their comment. :monster:

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
"Aerith reads it and realizes it doesn't sound right" would be incorporating it into her actual speech.
Generally speaking, yes. What I was referring to was her actually making the mistake herself, which I think would be silly and on the nose.
Maybe having the player read the sign without somebody making a remark would probably be more subtle and to your taste.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I don't see This guy are sick making it, and I've also never been all that enamored with that particular error anyway. I much more enjoy "Off course" in the battle square, lol. Though I don't foresee that sticking around either.

No way they have Cid and Barret drop f-bombs and go for the M rating. But Uncharted 4 proves you can still do quite a bit and get a T. They say "shit" like it's going out of style in that game.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I don't see them incorporating "This guy are sick" either, or any other translation errors for that matter. Though I still find it interesting to explore "What if" scenarios.

Regarding foul language, there are many possibilities to have character swear around without using the most extreme and explicit swearing words. Things like crap, shit, damn, or goshdarnit and the likes are T-rating friendly after all and there are more creative ways to express the same with more "flowery" language, such as for heaven's sake, piece of dirt, son of a Sahagin and so on.

I'm sure some of you and SE can come up with more, so I'm not really concerned with a T-rating regarding toned down speech for Barret and Cid.

Top Bottom