What Comics Are You Reading?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I really think that it has to do with how you're acclimated to the particular medium and its framerate before seeing it. There's a really interesting thing that I've noticed about media and frame rates for me, and it probably has a lot to do with how much time I spend consuming things, and my exposure to them.

If I've been playing a bunch of games and/or seeing things shot/recorded at 60fps and then go to watch a film – I visibly notice that they're shot at 24fps and a lot of the motion blurring on quick pans and other things like that really irk me. If I've been watching a lot of animated media and then go to watch a film, I definitely don't ever get bothered by the framerate being 24fps at all by comparison. I'm also one of the few folks who saw the Hobbit films in theaters at 48fps, and while they do have a different quality to them, it wasn't one I disliked, but it is definitely different and made me judgmental about the limitations of lower framerates on films. What's interesting is that Dragonball FighterZ implemented hybridization in their game's cel animation: the gameplay is locked at 60fps, but every time that it initiates an animation cut scene as a part of a move, those are locked at 24fps so that it feels more like the anime does. They don't seem choppy by comparison, but there IS definitely an immediately noticeable difference to them where they "feel" more like the anime because of it.

I think that that's a subtle "bias" that your brain has for what it gets used to. When it comes to cel-shaded animation, since that's mostly used as a game medium if you're not used to is as an animation style, it's likely that you'll see it like you'd see a game underperforming and feel that it's choppy/dropping frames. Like I said before, the only one that bothered me was The Dragon Prince, because they change the frame rate they use between particular scenes, and the inconsistency stands out really jarringly for me.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
More updates about it: https://io9.gizmodo.com/shueisha-is-making-a-huge-push-toward-accessible-offic-1832123493

Late last year, the U.S. edition of Weekly Shonen Jump—Shueisha’s premiere anthology for its shonen manga titles—announced a complete overhaulinto a digital subscription service, offering the latest chapters of its biggest series for free on a weekly basis, translated into English for a simultaneous release with WSJ in Japan, as well as access to over 10,000 chapters of manga archives if you signed up for a $2-a-month subscription.

Seriously. If you read ANY of the WSJ manga, you need this.

X:neo:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I've got a backlog of Delicious Dungeon and My Brother's Husband. I try to take myself out to the cafe down the hill once a week to disconnect from the internet and be someplace that isn't my bedroom. The polar vortex though has made this more difficult lately.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So in preparation for the Miles Morales game I've been replaying Spider-Man on PS4 a bit which then led to me checking out his few comic appearances such as Spider-Man: Velocity and the Spider-Geddon event of which I read the entirety mostly going "i don't know who most of these weirdos are" and oh, the Inheritors are laaaame as hell, literally everything they say boils down to "LET'S EAT" such hunger, wow

Anyway I came to the conclusion that Spider-Gwen seems rad so after reading the three Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider issues that tie into Spider-Geddon I decided to go back to the beginning to her introduction in Spider-Verse and now I'm reading Spider-Gwen #1

I don't usually read comics, seemed like another expensive hobby except Marvel Unlimited being Netflix but with comics is actually a really good deal so here I am now, I fell down the spider-rabbit-hole. Or is it just a spider-hole? Spider-hole. Some spiders have holes. Try not to fall down there actually. :hohum:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So in preparation for the Miles Morales game I've been replaying Spider-Man on PS4 a bit which then led to me checking out his few comic appearances such as Spider-Man: Velocity and the Spider-Geddon event of which I read the entirety mostly going "i don't know who most of these weirdos are" and oh, the Inheritors are laaaame as hell, literally everything they say boils down to "LET'S EAT" such hunger, wow

Anyway I came to the conclusion that Spider-Gwen seems rad so after reading the three Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider issues that tie into Spider-Geddon I decided to go back to the beginning to her introduction in Spider-Verse and now I'm reading Spider-Gwen #1

I don't usually read comics, seemed like another expensive hobby except Marvel Unlimited being Netflix but with comics is actually a really good deal so here I am now, I fell down the spider-rabbit-hole. Or is it just a spider-hole? Spider-hole. Some spiders have holes. Try not to fall down there actually. :hohum:

Of the Spider-Verse characters, Spider-Gwen, SP//dr, Spider-Punk, & Noir were my favourites. Spider-Gwen's been consistently good, so I think you'll have a good time with it. If you haven't read the SP//dr comic from SpiderVerse, it's worth it, since it's basically Gerard Way's love letter to anime & comics. Also, I read all of Miles' stuff until the end of Bendis' run around when I had to cut back on comics for a bit.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Since the pandemic I've had a lot of free time and so I've been using that time to start reading some mangas I've had in my backlog for a long while.

Finished reading Fist of The North Star and I wish I started it way sooner, a must read classic for martial arts fans.
9.5/10

Over the course of 6 months I've read Jojo's Bizzare Adventure part 1 all the way up to the first third of Part 6 Stone Ocean. As a whole it's been a very enjoyable read but not something I would rate as highly as some fans do.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh. So... as a part of doing research for a project I'm working on, In the last month I read all of Berserk, Battle Angel Alita, Alita: Last Order, & Alita: Mars Chronicle. which is like... 15,000 pages of manga, and was ridiculously satisfying, helpful, all-consuming.

In the Manga world, I've been keeping up on My Hero Academia, One-Punch Man, Dragonball Super, & Boruto.

In the Western Comics world, I've been keeping up (catching back up after the crazy binge) on Venom, the X-Men titles, Immortal Hulk, Conan, and some other misc things.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i started reading hunter x hunter because i heard it gets unexpectedly extreme for a shounen manga later on. i am 8 books in so far, and i am enjoying it

but it's done that thing. the thing where they introduce a new concept and suddenly that's like the main focus and every character does it. like in jojo when it introduced stands and being naive, i thought 'oh is it going to introduce new concepts every couple of arcs?' but i got up to stone ocean and nope, it's all stands i guess. idk if this is just a shounen jump thing, where you start off with a general premise and then eventually introduce a new one that subsumes everything

now everyone has nen powers and i'm getting long explanations of how they work and while it's not put me off or anything and i am planning on reading more, i'm also not super excited by this development

Top Bottom