• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS What do you think of the popular 'whispers = the fans' interpretation?

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
A LOT of people believe that the whispers/dementors in the remake symbolise (at least partly?) the fans trying to prevent changes to the story/narrative. Do you agree with this interpretation, or do you think it's wrong? What are your general thoughts on this popular theory?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I realize I’ve broadcasted my opinion on the Whispers enough, but I'll bite anyway.

No doubt there’s parallels between the two. The Whispers try to maintain “fate”, which from what we’ve been shown so far is the events of the original game. Similarly, a not insignificant portion of fans wanted Remake to be a replacement of sorts for the original game.

However, the Whispers are also violent and a major antagonist in Remake. “Whispers = the fans” is a cynical reading because it implies the creators resent their fanbase. I’m sure each developer has had negative run-ins in the past, but I think overall Nomura, Kitase, Nojima and the rest of the gang are all incredibly thankful for our passion. Nomura in particular sends a letter to fans through official channels on the release day of any major project he’s worked on, thanking them for their support. I don’t know of any other director who does this. We also know that fan reactions on YouTube to Remake’s reveal trailer were a huge source of motivation to the team as they labored through the years.

Instead of saying “Whispers = the fans”, I’d say “Whispers = the original story“, which I think is an important distinction to make. I don’t believe the creators feel crushed by their fans, I think they feel crushed by the restraints of “FFVII”. They love the original story, but they’re also keenly aware that part of the spirit of Final Fantasy is reinvention. I think the creators felt that if they are to return to FFVII, then they must establish immediately that “we are not here to tell the same story twice”.

I know a big criticism of the Whispers is that some feel the creators didn't need to implement them to convey that sentiment, but personally I appreciate their method.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The context of their "violence" ultimately depends on the perspective from which you judge their actions.

Yes, in the context of the wishes/desires of the present characters, they do seem antagonistic and foes meant to be overcome.

But, we know there's more to their presence and purpose. They are protecting a "fate" that we know the conclusion to, and that the characters themselves fought to make happen. It makes sense that the Planet would protect it, given the fact it's the future that allowed it's sustained survival. Not only that, but the spirits of that future would wish to maintain their own existence.

And the same can be said about the sentiments of fans wishing to protect the story and it's direction.

That's the conflict and question that's meant to be elicited with this choice and dilemma. I think it's an interesting examination of how one approaches revisiting this world, and what the consequences of "remaking" could be, diegetically and in reality. On one hand, letting the characters fight for themselves in the present creates the risk of throwing off the guardrails of destiny that ultimately led to the satisfying and positive conclusion to the saga of FFVII that the Planet itself wished to avoid. And honestly, what the character's future selves wanted.

However, hope and the inherent struggle to survive and enjoy fleeting moments of life makes one want to see these moments again. Do things over again. Try to find a better way. However.... I think it's telling that Sephiroth most of all seems to want to do this all again, all to avoid a "destiny" which will prevent FFVII from ever meeting it's end. Every wish comes with a price, and what that price is, remains to be seen.

So yeah, I think the meta commentary is a bit too heavyhanded to ignore or assume coincidental. However, I definitely don't think it's malicious. It's only malicious from a limited view or analysis of the context.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
All I can offer is that as I played through, and the nature of the Whispers became more and more apparent, my housemates who were watching me play it started laughing and saying "Hey [Leaf] it's you" every time they reset something back to the original :monster:

AerithLives

Pro Adventurer
A LOT of people believe that the whispers/dementors in the remake symbolise (at least partly?) the fans trying to prevent changes to the story/narrative. Do you agree with this interpretation, or do you think it's wrong? What are your general thoughts on this popular theory?
I honestly think the whispers are just edgy nonscene that SE thinks are cool but are just spoiling one of the greatest stories every written. They ruin every scene they are in.

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I honestly think the whispers are just edgy nonscene that SE thinks are cool but are just spoiling one of the greatest stories every written. They ruin every scene they are in.
Well, lore-based, a whisper would be the soul of someone who already joined the planet, thus it becomes a guardian of it's knowledge

Defy the destiny is just ridiculous, as if defy the destiny is your destiny, you'll complete your destiny, lol

Top Bottom