• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

What games are you currently playing?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I got RDR 2 from my family the other day and I've been playing it for a while now, it's a really good game, tons of content etc. And while some bits do get repetitive and grindy, they also throw in plenty of new concepts and / or spanners in the works.

uratuje_pandy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
google
Just finished Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. The platforming and combat of this game is really wonky. For starters, there's this stiffness that reminds me of Devil May Cry 1-3 - maybe it was just DMC1 & 2 -, from what I remember: God of War 3 and if so, then all the GoWs before it, Final Fantasy X, and probably a ton of more games that have this "stiff" feeling when moving. Why is this an issue? Well, this game has platforming and expects you to explore. In games like DMC, this isn't much of an issue since the combat is well-designed, but when the stiff movement happens in combat as well, it makes everything feel weird. Super Mario, Jak & Daxter, and tons of other platformers along with tons of other games, old and new, don't have this stiff feeling. Anyway, this just leads to unfortunate deaths like Gabriel not moving quick enough to dodge or Gabriel having little momentum while jumping and therefore landing in hazards.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm playing EarthBound! Actually I've almost completed it.

The whole package is starry-eyed, playful, yet introspective. There's a lot to unpack here. Starting to wish I posted my thoughts as I played through it, like what I did with FFXII. It helps me to process the game and would've been interesting with EarthBound since I find it equally nuanced and ambiguous. Now it's just word vomit in my head haha.

I quite like the game. I wish I had played it growing up. There's so many subtle life lessons to be learned from it. Things like how to use an ATM, don't trust cops, and that it's cool to call your parents. Even though I've never played the game before it still manages to connect me to my childhood. It makes me feel like the kid I was and adult I am now are one continuous person, which is obviously true but I feel like we lose sight of that.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Earthbound is a game I really loved when I was younger, it really captures the imagination. I've fallen out of love with it a bit as time has gone on though, it has real issues with its gameplay (limited inventory) and I find areas after fourside to be a bit of a drag compared to what came before. Still, it is a classic for a big reason. It has a timeless charm to it. I'm also a big fan of games it influenced, like Yume Nikki or undertale. Mother 3 is the only entry of the trilogy that managed a compelling story, but that's not really what Earthbound was trying to do.

Speaking of games inspired by EB, I've been playing a game called "Omori" recently. It's pretty much Earthbound meets the aforementioned game Yume Nikki, with equal parts comedy and existential dread. It's probably the most impressive RPG maker game I've ever played, unlike a lot of other RPG maker games I've played it's actually, well, an RPG lol. YN and similar RPG maker horror games like Ib or Mad Father tend to not have any actual RPG gameplay, but Omori has a fully fleshed out turn based battle system with some pretty interesting (if underutilized) ideas. It's long too, I'm 30 hours in and am not at the end yet, usually these games are a lot shorter. I don't want yo talk about the plot much since I don't want to spoil things, but it's pretty compelling. It's about dealing with growing up and facing change, and making peace with your demons.

8/10 would recommend. Watch out for Pluto.

I will set you free

Rookie Adventurer
Been while since I've played Enchanted arms which I recommend for anyone who hasn't played it yet, eithrr ps3 or 360 is good but 360 has the achievements and i got 100% on that version. Been playing Blitzball FFX Vita version this morning.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
EarthBound is done and dusted.

Wanted to articulate a few more things about it. Whenever you collect 1 of 8 melodies throughout the game the main character receives a vision of himself as a baby. For example, one vision is of him being held by his father. I find this weirdly profound. Most media aimed at kids and young adults tries to impart life lessons, but EarthBound is more reflective. It doesn't ask the player to look ahead, but instead asks them to look inward. Look at how far you've come. Look at where you were. EarthBound treats even its youngest characters, and by extension even its youngest players, as full people. Usually kids and young adults are portrayed as nuisances or naive, but in EarthBound the party is a group of problem solvers. Adults are useless in Eagleland! They're clumsy, arrogant, or even devious. You're constantly fixing their mistakes. I find this contrast empowering and honestly refreshing.

I also really like the Rolling Meter mechanic. For those who don't know, when a character gets hit in EarthBound the damage isn't immediately applied, but instead their HP ticks down. As such, you have time to offset the damage with a healing spell or stop it altogether by winning the battle. This mechanic becomes really noticeable late game. In the last dungeon enemies are capable of taking out your whole party with a single spell (which they cast regularly), but your HP is also really high at that point. Your party's meters are constantly in motion as you mix healing with your usual damage output to survive the fight. This is unique and adds an action element to an otherwise turn-based game. I love it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Are you going to play Mother 3 next? It's just as good as EB, but it's also a very different sort of game story and structure wise (it's actually somewhat unpopular with Japanese fans as a result.) I find the themes of its story pretty compelling, it's very forward thinking for a 2006 game.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Every MOTHER game is basically a masterpiece, though oddly enough I think EarthBound is the weakest of the three. MOTHER 3's more linear structure isn't really a problem in the case of its design in particular, in my opinion. The stellar story, art, world-building and gameplay make up for it - controlling characters is a lot more fluid and fun because of the run mechanic, and the music battle system keeps things engaging. But that story is worth it above everything else.

I'm also a big fan of the rolling meter mechanic. It gives you a chance for awesome, tense comebacks; nothing beats winning the battle / healing yourself just as the rolling HP is about to run out. I'm pretty invested in the MOTHER series for a number of reasons, some of which I hope I'll be able to detail here someday.
As far as things MOTHER 3 doesn't have, MOTHER 1 and 2 having Melodies as the collectable goals is really fulfilling. It's one thing in an RPG to just get another special item on dungeon completion, but it's another thing entirely to get another part of an enchanting tune.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Every MOTHER game is basically a masterpiece, though oddly enough I think EarthBound is the weakest of the three
I'd be curious to hear why you think the first mother game is better. All three games have had a turn as my favorite over the years, and I do think the original mother has more strengths than people give it credit for. I enjoy its darker atmosphere; the enemy sprites can be fairly creepy and the towns feel more bleak and empty (probably owing to the limitations of the NES.) I also think the story of Ninten's grandparents and Giyig is a stronger narrative through-line than Earthbound had, and the soundtrack is incredible. I think I prefer Earthbound on the whole, but Mother 1 has a lot going for it despite not having a lot of the quality of life stuff that came later.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I'd be curious to hear why you think the first mother game is better. All three games have had a turn as my favorite over the years, and I do think the original mother has more strengths than people give it credit for. I enjoy its darker atmosphere; the enemy sprites can be fairly creepy and the towns feel more bleak and empty (probably owing to the limitations of the NES.) I also think the story of Ninten's grandparents and Giyig is a stronger narrative through-line than Earthbound had, and the soundtrack is incredible. I think I prefer Earthbound on the whole, but Mother 1 has a lot going for it despite not having a lot of the quality of life stuff that came later.

This will be abstract, but it’s more of a concise art piece: it’s imagery is more “potent,” the music manages to evoke more emotions while being less complicated musically; all in all, there’s a brevity to it all. It’s certainly because of the limitations, especially when it comes to the mysterious, dark graphics, but it all works out.

I also really like the way it plays off of sci-fi tropes. All MOTHER games do, but there’s something about MOTHER 1’s sci-fi that feels extra cool. Robots like EVE and R7038XX / similar robots compliment the Americana themes really well. Plus the game feels really surreal in areas like Magicant. MOTHER 1’s Magicant is a place of beauty, whereas MOTHER 2’s is a little more goofy. (Though I love both)

Agreed about the backstory being a stronger story piece. I think it sets the stage well.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This will be abstract, but it’s more of a concise art piece: it’s imagery is more “potent,” the music manages to evoke more emotions while being less complicated musically; all in all, there’s a brevity to it all. It’s certainly because of the limitations, especially when it comes to the mysterious, dark graphics, but it all works out.
I think I understand. Earthbound is comparatively more all over the place, both in terms of the locations the party travels to and in the variety of music. Mother is more consistent in that regard. I also like how the melodies largly come from more mundane sources than in Earthbound; a music box in a doll, a singing canary, a singing monkey, ... a cactus with a face.... and they're just around in the world, pretty easy to miss. Even in Earthbound the plot never puts much focus on the sanctuaries, but they're much easier to find and give the game a more stage-like progression, every melody accompanied by a boss.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Are you going to play Mother 3 next?

Nope! One of my buddies has been saying for years that I should play EarthBound so I finally decided to fire it up. Though I enjoyed it so much I definitely want to give Mother 1 and 3 a go sometime.

Funnily enough my buddy asked the same question after I told him I beat EarthBound. Getting the feeling that Mother 3 is pretty special.

abigail

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Abbie
and now i'm playing Stardew Valley 1.5

though sadly the music mod i used kept crashing the game. so no more undertale music for me while i play. according to Steam I've played over 200 hours of SDV (i mean, only 200 hours). so i have listened to undertale music more while farming pixels. than i ever have. while actually playing undertale (something like 25-30 hours of undertale, according to steam)

i think my annoying dog pixel sheet is stable though, so i can have that white dog instead of the default one
Screenshot 2021-02-08 09.52.17.png

Last edited:

I will set you free

Rookie Adventurer
I recently finished Persona 5 and I loved it.

I'm going to start Final Fantasy VII Remake again later on today. I haven't played it since I completed it when it first released.

As much as I like 7 I am unwilling to go out and get a ps4 to play a remake for a game that with a remake you have changes even if it's
not a ton you still change certain things which I wouldn't particularly like. I like 7 as the original appears; the remake i am sure has made
significant changes to certain things in the story and what have you so I am just not willing to do that right now maybe someday. I am
just glad X got the remaster when it did.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Finally played Disco Elysium some weeks ago, in the middle of the worst, coldest winter in 50 years. Still pondering if it was a good idea. Probably not.

Tried it back in, May, perhaps? Had to uninstall it because I couldn't bear with the bleakness of the entire world and the parallells with our current situation (and the slight panick mixed with dread at thinking that Revachol and the Insulas were maybe the world my niece and nephew might have to live it in the future). This winter I thought things were better. They were, and the game is amazing, from the imaginary world to the characters to the dialogues, to the, oh my god, the art. All the hype is well deserved.

There are scenes that will forever stay with me. I won't spoil anything, but sometimes cop job is not about having spectacular raids and heroic deeds. Sometimes it's about delivering bad news to people whose life seem as if god was using them as toilet paper already. I didn't get a perfect ending, but the game is not only about changing the status quo of what surrounds you, like in a Hollywood movie, it's about instrospection and about yourself. The real battlefield is in your mind (if you ever play it, you will understand).

And then I went to play Pillars of Eternity Deadfire again, because I needed a comfort game, it has Ashley Jhonson as the narrator, and I was in dire need to see a world where people can go about thier daily lives and there are pockets of peace and prosperity amidst a worl that might end (but doesn't because that's what the hero is for).

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
Im playing The Legend of Dragoon for the first time and so far its a great game. I dont know how many have played it but i would definitely recommend it. The turn based combat is exciting. You have to time your Additions(base attack) by pressing X at the right moment to continue the combo which in turn does more damage and builds more SP(Skill Points). Also the guard option not only reduces damage for one turn but recovers a small amount of HP. The story so far has been interesting, but im not that far in so i cant really give a full opinion on that.
the dragoon tranformations are great and the attacks are another fun timing challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom